Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | U.S Election 2016

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

U.S Election 2016
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:00   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
U.S Election 2016

Tonight is the official start of the US Presidential Election with the first primary taking place tonight in Iowa.

The democratic side is looking reasonably like it will be Clinton who shall win the nomination. She is facing tough opposition from the 'American Corbyn' Bernie Sanders in Iowa and New Hampshire and what happened with Obama should be remembered but it's hard to see him appealing to voters in the primaries to come and he actually behind in Iowa:

The Republican side is more interesting/terrifying. Trump actually seems to be winning and there is a chance he will be unstoppable by the time the moderate Republicans rally around one 'mainstream' candidate:

Ideally there Rubio (who is still quite right-wing, especially by European standards) will get a good enough results tonight to become the 'anyone but Trump' candidate.

Anyway it kicks off tonight.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2016, 10:05   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: US Election 2016

God help America if Trump ever becomes president.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:11   #3
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Trump is deeply unpopular among most Americans. If he wins the nomination the Republicans are effectively conceding the election unless, and this is where it is scary, something serious comes up against Clinton.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33   #4
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I think there is more chance of the American population electing a British born gay male as President then there is of them electing a female President.

And to make myself unpopular, I'm stating right now that I want Trump to get the nomination and I hope he wins the election.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Can I ask why, Mark?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:03   #6
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I think there is more chance of the American population electing a British born gay male as President then there is of them electing a female President.
Plenty of people said that about the chances of a black president being elected.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:09   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I thought you had to be American born to run for president? IIRC it's why Arnie can't run 'cos he's Austrian.

Quote:
And to make myself unpopular, I'm stating right now that I want Trump to get the nomination and I hope he wins the election.
Could be pretty dangerous.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:15   #8
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Can I ask why, Mark?
Which part Hugh?

And yes, you have to be American born. Which is why I said there was more chance of a foreign born person being elected before a woman.
Old 01-02-2016, 14:40   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Which part Hugh?

And yes, you have to be American born. Which is why I said there was more chance of a foreign born person being elected before a woman.
Quote:
I want Trump to get the nomination and I hope he wins the election.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 01-02-2016, 14:40   #10
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Plenty of people said that about the chances of a black president being elected.
Plenty of people went on absolutely ridiculous regarding Obama's push to the White House.
Quote:
Obama will impose Sharia Law upon the US!
The amount of times I heard that statement, I still question whether people were actually stupid enough to genuinely believe this or whether they were just a bunch of asses.
Old 01-02-2016, 14:52   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I thought you had to be American born to run for president? IIRC it's why Arnie can't run 'cos he's Austrian.
The fun part of this is that it's another case of their constitution being a mess and the Founding Fathers' failure to be specific.

The line that forbids non 'American-born' citizens from becoming President is this:

Quote:
No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
The problem is that there is no actual definition of what is meant by natural born Citizen. Does it mean they were born as an American citizen or that they were born in America (anyone born in America has US citizenship)? Whilst logically we would say 'well, either' that isn't actually watertight.

So Ted Cruz who was born in Canada to American parents and had American citizenship at birth (via his parents) might not be eligible to run. Donald Trump keeps saying this and whilst we all suspect the Supreme Court would find he is eligible to run the Republicans are a bit concerned he could be subjected to court challenges should they nominate him from either Trump, the Democrats or some nut-job.

It's almost bound to be challenged and cause chaos all because the term has never been defined properly leaving political opponents the ambiguity they need.
Old 01-02-2016, 16:08   #12
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Trump is deeply unpopular among most Americans. If he wins the nomination the Republicans are effectively conceding the election unless, and this is where it is scary, something serious comes up against Clinton.
There is a non-trivial chance of something serious coming up against Clinton. She has clearly acted illegal with regards to that dodgy email server of hers. She should be going to prison, not to the primaries.
Old 01-02-2016, 16:18   #13
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
There is a non-trivial chance of something serious coming up against Clinton. She has clearly acted illegal with regards to that dodgy email server of hers. She should be going to prison, not to the primaries.
Well exactly although I am not quite sure the extent of her legal situation there. There seems to be a lot of claims and counterclaims and the obvious political game being played by some. Still it leaves her at risk and that's how we get a nutter in the White House. It's too late for anyone else to come in now though...
Old 01-02-2016, 16:28   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Although the email chances were determined to be top secret they were not allocated that level of security when they were sent/received so did she actually do anything wrong? Yes it was stupid to do what she did but at the time I don't think she did anything illegal.

If Trump does get the Republican nomination then they can wave goodbye to the presidency... Reminds me a bit of a certain political situation over here which is all I will say on the matter as we've have enough threads about the UK situation
Old 01-02-2016, 17:01   #15
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I want Trump to win.
I think he'd make America and the rest of the world interesting.
Closed Thread