Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HDMI interference with Freeview

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

HDMI interference with Freeview

Old 26-08-2015, 21:03   #1
stevema
Inactive

stevema is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is not the first time this topic has been brought up in the forum - But I've tried all the usual solutions and nothing seems to work.

In my central media cabinet I have three Virgin Tivo boxes connected to an HDMI matrix, I'm then using TBase HDMI extenders to send the output to 8 different rooms via CAT6 cable (it's a 4x8 matrix). Also in my media cabinet I have an aerial distribution amp and I'm sending the output via screened WF100 coax also to the 8 rooms so that each TV has freeview. Both solutions on their own, work fine, but for the life of me I can't get them to work together?? As soon as an actual HDMI connection is made between the source and a receiving TV, the freeview in the entire house is messed up, some channels just about still work, others are completely gone. Naturally there is nothing I can do about the CAT6 and the WF100 that's in the walls, but I have tried replacing all the HDMI leads with a variety of others, with no discernible impact on the problem. The patch leads I'm using in each room on the COAX are home-made from same WF100 as in the walls.... I'm at a loss... I need both to work as there is 6 in the family and sometimes if three are watching the TIVO, the other three might just want to watch regular freeview, each independent channels...

Is there perhaps any way to feed the Freeview on all the TV's via the matrix and down the CAT6, so I effectively stop using the COAX altogether, to eliminate the interference? Any other suggestions?

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

One extra thing - What I notice is if I disconnect the HDMI cables from all TV's except one, I'm still getting interference with Freeview on every single TV in the house, so the interference isn't happening locally in each room, it has to be happening in the media cabinet itself, maybe it's the actual AMP being affected - Thought this might help.
stevema is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2015, 23:06   #2
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HDMI interference with Freeview

It could be that the amp itself is poorly shielded and is picking up HDMI interference and then retransmitting it. I'm not sure how possible it is with your setup but you could try moving the amp as far away as you can from any HDMI cables and see if that helps.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 14:35   #3
stevema
Inactive

stevema is an unknown quantity at this point

The amp is a Labgear MSA2163 and it's sold as being fully screened and with F type connectors. So it's maybe not as good as it claims or the HDMI interference is more than even the best can cope with. I'll try your suggestions of bypassing the amp, see if I can at least prove it is the amp. If it is, is there a better screened one you can suggest?
stevema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 14:51   #4
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of any amps offhand (I've never looked any up), but if you try a bypass to run one TV without the amp you should be able to see if it works.

Another possibility is the CAT6 is radiating interference, but if the HDMI extenders are sending the signal as data, they shouldn't be causing any issues.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote