Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky HD / Sky Q Catchup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky HD / Sky Q Catchup

Old 21-08-2016, 18:14   #1
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts
Sky HD / Sky Q Catchup

Hi

with these impending price rises - enough is enough with VM although I have been with them for 17 years now.

Anyway - My offspring are now complaining that if I jump to the darkside they don't want to download each program before watching it. Is this still the case or do they have 'apps' now on Sky+ ?

thanks
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2016, 18:22   #2
S_james

Re: Sky HD / Sky Q Catchup

You haven't had to download a show/movie/programme before you watch it on sky for years.

Basically the download will start then when enough of a buffer has been downloaded you can begin watching. I have sky fibre and a HD movie is ready to watch within about 50 seconds to 1 minute.

A HD tv show is ready pretty much instantly, BBC Iplayer content is also pretty much instant. But this is Dependant on your broadband speed.

I'm happy to make a quick vid of how long from watching live TV to fnding a on demand movie, selecting it and then begin watching it.
Old 21-08-2016, 18:23   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

I just got skY Q yesterday and have been playing around with my new toy and one of the first things i noticed is that the on demand content is almost instant ,literally a couple of seconds after starting the download it was available to watch even the UHD stuff like Blacklist so not an issue
Old 21-08-2016, 19:10   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm on 38mb fibre and as you say even the UHD content is pretty much instantly available.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Reading the thread back it is worth mentioning that On Demand whilst virtually instantly available on good BB connections does download and use hard drive space until deleted although in all honesty it's never caused me space issues. That said I've never downloaded everything in UHD.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 19:18   #5
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm on 38mb fibre and as you say even the UHD content is pretty much instantly available.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Reading the thread back it is worth mentioning that On Demand whilst virtually instantly available on good BB connections does download and use hard drive space until deleted although in all honesty it's never caused me space issues. That said I've never downloaded everything in UHD.
yes a valid point but as far as my family is concerned most on demand content is deleted once watched anyway and generally speaking i keep films on an external nas drive so the 2 TB i got with the Q is ample,can't speak for everyone obviously

Having said that looking at the ease of access to the sky store on the Q i may on here in 6 months whinging about the lack space for corrie st
Old 21-08-2016, 19:26   #6
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
yes a valid point but as far as my family is concerned most on demand content is deleted once watched anyway and generally speaking i keep films on an external nas drive so the 2 TB i got with the Q is ample,can't speak for everyone obviously

Having said that looking at the ease of access to the sky store on the Q i may on here in 6 months whinging about the lack space for corrie st
Sky Store purchases can be archived to the cloud then re-downloaded when you want to watch them. Boxsets will be available to purchase on Sky Store as well.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 19:31   #7
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky Store purchases can be archived to the cloud then re-downloaded when you want to watch them. Boxsets will be available to purchase on Sky Store as well.
now i didn't know that, mainly because i never use the sky store
but looking through it today that may well change ,they seem to have some good deals
Old 22-08-2016, 19:46   #8
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Cheers people. I must be way behind the times.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 20:25   #9
S_james

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Cheers people. I must be way behind the times.
You are, but some company's thrive on customer ignorance.