Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 11-06-2004, 01:22   #1
Graham

Question What are you reading?

Ok, in the hope of something slightly more cerebral than "what are you using to destroy your braincells", here's a thread for discussing what you're using to *inspire* them instead!

So what are you reading at the moment? And what's good/ bad/ worth recommending/ worth avoiding about it?

For me it's currently "The Truth" by Terry Pratchett.

A story from the Discworld, Pratchett takes another of his hilarious satirical side-swipes at the lunacies of this world (helped, no doubt, by his experiences of working as a journalist before he started writing fiction).

As usual his plots and characterisations are spot on, the writing is excellent, humorous without being forced, touching without being sentimental and his observations are sharp and witty without being laboured.

If you've ever read Discworld and enjoyed it, you'll love this one, if you haven't, it's a good place to start because you don't really need to have read the earlier stories to understand the background.

Definitely recommended!
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2004, 01:45   #2
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Re: What are you reading?

A bit belated, but i'm reading "The Salmon Of Doubt" by the late, great, Douglas Adams. It is a collection of articles he published before his death, and includes some chapters he was working on just before he died. He was the guy that wrote "The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy". Extremely funny. i'm about 1/4 the way throught it atm. Definitely recommended so far, so is HHGTTG. If you really have an aversion to books it was converted to radio, TV and DVD.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:55   #3
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Erm, while the book you're currently reading is technically different, is this thread supposed to be different from what's the last book that you read?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:40   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I am currently reading this

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:48   #5
Earl of Bronze

I'm currently reading a book called Masters Of Death by Richard Rhodes.

Basically its about the SS Einsatzgruppen ( Special Action Squads ) and how they shot hundreds of thousands of Jews and 'Communists' in Poland and Russia. Not a nice subject, but interesting in a slightly disturbing way.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:03   #6
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

My psychiatric report I'm officially suffering from PTSD, quite a weird feeling reading about yourself
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:14   #7
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

"The Amber Spyglass", the third in a trilogy.
Before I got that & partially read "The Famous Five - five go to mystery moor".

While at the same time reading website design & dreamweaver use books, but these are harder to read on the bus.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:59   #8
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Clifford the dog : The Runaway Rabbit....

It's wicked - I wonder if they are going to find the rabbit again.

Clifford is trying to entice it back by hanging a carrot from his tail - I DO hope it works.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:12   #9
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

A Short History of everything - Bill Bryson
Separation Purification and Identification - Open University
SXR205 - Exploring the Molecular World Study Guide - Open University
Nutrition and health - Our Chemical environment - Open University
Maskerade -Terry Pratchett.

Do you think that counteracts the couple of pints I had last night?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:26   #10
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste

Are we not kind of discussing this here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...highlight=book
Old 11-06-2004, 12:16   #11
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Well, we might be reading something else now. I, for instance, am reading this week's Private Eye.
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:51   #12
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

It's ok everyone - They found the rabbit and it's safe back in its cage.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:58   #13
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
It's ok everyone - They found the rabbit and it's safe back in its cage.
Phew, glad everythings ok, have been fretting here
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:59   #14
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
Phew, glad everythings ok, have been fretting here
My boy enjoyed it too
Old 11-06-2004, 13:18   #15
mrmassive
Inactive

mrmassive can only hope to improve

im reading what u lot just wrote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mrmassive is offline   Reply With Quote