Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Calling all VM techs!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Calling all VM techs!

Old 03-12-2017, 19:08   #1
Bhalay207
Inactive

Bhalay207 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Calling all VM techs!

... your help is needed!

I started as a new trainee tech a week ago. As of yet, I’ve not been sent on the in-house training. Up to now I’ve been sent on the road with a mentor who has shown me loads already. One thing I’m struggling to get my head around is the telco, and I know I’m starting to do my mentors head in by not remember what he’s told me, admittedly time and time again.

Can somebody explain the d side/e side of the mux and how they are identified by looking at them. Also, how the cabs work in relation to the mux would be great.
Bhalay207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2017, 19:28   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: Calling all VM techs!

Different areas have different layouts and designs. You say you want to know how the cabs work, I assume you mean the transmission side of things? Again different areas have different architectures. Some areas use SDH networks, some use PDH networks. And again, even 2 areas with let's say SDH, the design could be different. So for a basic overview research SDH and PDH, but it gets rather technical.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 19:36   #3
Bhalay207
Inactive

Bhalay207 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m based in Derby. I’m told that the network varies based on location.

The one thing which I get confused with is identifying which is which. The mux on our network has a d side and e side which open 90 degrees do one another. One is in blocks of 50 and the other is in rows of 10. It’s remembering which one is which and then which feeds back to the cab.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Bhalay207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 19:46   #4
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Just remember D side is your Distribution, so that goes from mux towards the customer. You've only been doing it a week you'll remember eventually. If you're ever at a cab and you can't tell between E and D, just plug your probe into what you think is the E side and see if you get dial tone. I've never worked on the Derby network so wouldn't have a clue what's what there
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:19   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

E Side = Exchange Side - So named because it goes back towards the (Telephone) Exchange.

D Side = Distribution Side - So named becasue it goes out to the Customer Distribution Point(s).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote