Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Switching from PAYG to pay monthly

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Switching from PAYG to pay monthly

Old 16-05-2017, 22:44   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Switching from PAYG to pay monthly

Osem Jnr. has muddled along for ages using his Virgin Mobile PAYG SIM plus 1gb data bundle for £5 pm.

Being out and about a lot more now, he's running short of data and wanting to change to a pay monthly SIM only deal so has asked me for advice lol (I'm the guy who spends about £20 pa on PAYG for my entire mobile needs lol).

I've seen that VM are currently doing a 4G deal for 1500 mins, unlimited texts and 2gb data for £9pm which is on a 30 day rolling contract which presumably lasts for 1 year minimum.

On the other hand Three are doing unlimited calls and texts plus 4GB data for the same price for a 1 year contract which seems like a better deal.

I don't want him to make a big mistake so, aside from the allowances, what are the important differences between these 2 deals/contacts? He already has a 3 PAYG SIM which he uses because the calls and texts are considerably cheaper than his Virgin PAYG but he wants to retain his Virgin number. At present he has his Virgin SIM in an Apple 6 and his 3 SIM in another handset and is used to carrying both.

I have no idea if 4G is available widely around this area on either network but presumably the SIM card will simply switch to 3G if it isn't available. Is there anything else to consider?

TIA as always.

Last edited by Osem; 16-05-2017 at 22:48.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2017, 22:56   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Switching from PAYG to pay monthly

A 30 day SIM is just that - the minimum term is 30 days after which you can cancel it if you wish.

So depends on whether you're happy to commit to the Three one year deal and what the coverage is like as to which is better suited.

Three do offer out of allowance call blocking which Virgin Media don't at present http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=EXT(EM38736)

Also you might need to get the handset unlocked if changing networks depending on the network switch.

I believe it should be possible to transfer the Virgin Media number to Three if that's the plan choice.
Old 16-05-2017, 23:11   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Cheers Ben. His phones are unlocked so that shouldn't be an issue.

RE the blocking, presumably he could use an app to block numbers etc. which would fall outside of his allowances.

He's recently bought the Apple phone from a friend and put his Virgin SIM in it and it works fine apparently but I'm sure I have heard that most Apple phones lock themselves to the first network they're used on so I'll have to check with him about that.

Update:

He's just told me that his mate paid for the Apple phone to be unlocked before passing it on to him so I'm presuming he could use either company's SIM in it.

Last edited by Osem; 16-05-2017 at 23:17.
Old 17-05-2017, 00:42   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not aware of any apps available to block dialled calls on an iPhone - my view is that they'd have to intercept the system dialler to work, so I doubt that's something Apple would allow.
Old 17-05-2017, 11:24   #5
Osem
Inactive

OK tks for clarifying that. It's something we take for granted on our Android phones but it's certainly something I'll make him aware of because the cost of 'out of allowance' calls etc. can be huge and could easily wipe out any savings from his contract.
Old 27-05-2017, 20:14   #6
Osem
Inactive

Osem Jnr has switched to a £10pm contract with Virgin - 5gb 4G data, unlimited texts and 2500 mins of calls. I've warned him about the extortionate 'excluded' and 'out of allowances' charges!!