Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please help - Devolo Homeplug AVeasy 200 problem - leds blinking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow Internet Connection from Filtered Face Plate via Patch Panel

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35   #1
chrisp_4
Inactive

chrisp_4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow Internet Connection from Filtered Face Plate via Patch Panel

Hi All,

I have just finished installing structured cabling at my house and have the following setup with the help of advise from another forum.

BT Master socket in the downstairs hall with a filtered faceplate fitted, i have run a single cat5e to the master socket and connected the two orange wires to the back of the faceplate (A & B) and the two blue wires to the phone connection (2 and 5)

The cat5e runs to the patch panel in the loft (approx 10-15 metres) where the orange pair are connected to port 1 and the blue pair are connected to port 2 and subsequently daisy chained to port 3 and 4 to provide further telephone connections.

I then have port 1 from the patch panel (now the ADSL line) patched down to the office (approx 8 metres) where i have the router plugged in via a RJ45 wall outlet.

Everything works perfectly fine i have successfully tested the phone connections in all ports around the house using a mod tap adaptor and the internet also works however i am only getting a 5Mb download speed whereas when i plug it directly into the master socket downstairs i get 20Mb download speed (no fibre)

The only caveat being that as a temporary measure i am using an RJ11 to BT Male adaptor into a Mod tap (Slave) and then into the RJ45 socket upstairs because i didnt have an RJ11 to RJ45 cable (i have one on order)

Would this simply be causing the slow connection speed? the mod tap is a slave so i assumed it was just a straight through converter or is there likely to be something else causing the issue?

Thanks
Chris
chrisp_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Slow Internet Connection from Filtered Face Plate via Patch Panel

You have so much wire and so many joints that the noise could be getting in from almost anywhere.

You need to take it apart bit by bit and test until you identify exactly where the problem is.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47   #3
chrisp_4
Inactive

Ok thanks, my first point of call will be to remove the temporary adaptors im using and test with a single RJ11 to RJ45 cable from the router.

But technically if the router was cabled directly into the RJ45 in the office is there is any reason this setup wouldnt work?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56   #4
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned you need to work logically through the system testing at every joint/connection to see where the fault lies.

With regards to connecting RJ11 plugs to RJ45 sockets, for testing purposes an RJ11 plug will plug straight in to an RJ45 socket and will connect on the blue/white blue pair and give you a phone/ADSL line. I have also used a slave adaptor and ADSL filter to do the same thing.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09   #5
chrisp_4
Inactive

Thanks,

I am using a single Cat5e cable from the master socket, the blue/blue white pair are carrying the phone connection and i am using the orange/orange white pair to carry the ADSL.

If the RJ11 uses the Blue/Blue white pair could that be my problem as its the orange pair that are patched down to the back of the RJ45.

I hope this makes sense?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07   #6
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like it. The RJ45->BT adaptor will be plugging in to the "blue" pair and therefore connecting through the faceplace filter.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54   #7
chrisp_4
Inactive

Ok thanks very much for your help

If i have understood this correctly I will try the following:

Pull out the Orange/Orange White pair from the back of the patch panel and put them into the Blue/Blue White connectors of one port on the back of the patch panel i know the patch panel wont match colourwise but i can make sure I label it up, i cant use the blue pair because they are carrying the phone extension to the patch panel.

That will then make the blue / blue white pair active on the RJ45 socket in the office which the RJ11 should then connect in to.