Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Adding Media Server Using Netgear Switch

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Adding Media Server Using Netgear Switch

Old 13-08-2009, 10:27   #1
Wolfie
Inactive

Wolfie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Adding Media Server Using Netgear Switch

Hi Guys

I've recently bought a 1Tb media server, fully expecting to just plug it in to a spare ethernet port on my modem. There isn't one. I have a Homeplug network setup - cabled from the only port on my NTL modem.

My question is this : can I cable from modem (source) to a netgear 10/100 ethernet switch hub thingy (into port 1?), then from port 2 into the Homeplug network and from port 3 into the media server? Will this allow any pc's on the Homeplug network to access the server?

Something doesn't feel right about the wiring to me but I don't fully understand how the hub operates internally. I feel the server should be plugged into the modem/router - it being the source of the broadband signal.

Can anyone put me out of my newbie misery?
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2009, 11:19   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Adding Media Server Using Netgear Switch

Hi Wolfie. The modem will only support (and issue an IP address to) one device. You will need to add a router connected to the modem. The router will handle IP addresses to extra devices and will enable you to achieve what you want.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 11:22   #3
zing_deleted

I got a couple of routers sat in the draw I could let go reasonable however you are a new member and I wouldnt trust me either lol lol
Old 13-08-2009, 13:33   #4
Wolfie
Inactive

I do have a Belkin router that I used for a while wirelessly. I have just been out to buy a netgear ethernet switch/hub with 5 ports though! You didn't say whether this would work but the guy in the shop said it would be fine.

There is only one computer on the "network" so IP's are not a problem. I suppose I could have used the Belkin router in place of the netgear hub - it's doing the same thing right?

Thanks for your input anyway.
Old 13-08-2009, 13:45   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

There may be only one computer on the network but the media server will need an IP address as well.

You need to go from the modem to the router, then from that router into your media server, computer, and any other devices, separately.

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

.....and no, if the Belkin device is just a switch (or a hub, the two are different BTW) then it isn't the same as a router.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 14:11   #6
Wolfie
Inactive

Jeez - I thought this was going to be easy! This is the media server I have http://reviews.cnet.com/network-stor...-33490441.html - not sure why that would need an IP address assigning to it.

But if you think the Belkin will work - I'll give that a try.
Old 13-08-2009, 14:19   #7
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Jeez - I thought this was going to be easy! This is the media server I have http://reviews.cnet.com/network-stor...-33490441.html - not sure why that would need an IP address assigning to it.

But if you think the Belkin will work - I'll give that a try.
The media server is a network-attached unit and needs it's own IP address in exactly the same way as a computer would.

You could go modem-->homeplugs-->router if that helps. Then the computer and media centre need to plug into RJ45 ports in the router.
Old 13-08-2009, 14:25   #8
Wolfie
Inactive

My main concern is keeping as much of the "kit" in the attic out of the way. The laptop lives in the kitchen and I don't want router/media server etc cluttering the place up.

So modem to Belkin router, then Belkin to Homeplug and media server. Got a sneaky feeling that I stopped using the Belkin modem for good reason, probably something technical that I couldn't deal with but we'll see.

I could be back tomorrow with a whole new set of problems but thank you all very much for your help and feedback so far.
Old 13-08-2009, 14:32   #9
Dai
Inactive

No problem. By the way, the guy in the shop advised you wrongly. The reason the switch won't work is that unlike the router it does not have a built-in DHCP server. You need one of these in a network to hand out IP addresses to each connected device. Switches are just 'dumb' devices, a bit like a mains extension cable that adds extra sockets.
Old 13-08-2009, 14:40   #10
Wolfie
Inactive

I understand about the added functions of a router but thought that because all my bits were cabled together (ethernet), IP addresses didn't need to be assigned. I'm not explaining myself very well here.

I am going to do as you suggest but still a little unsure why I can't "plug & play".
Old 13-08-2009, 15:48   #11
Dai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I understand about the added functions of a router but thought that because all my bits were cabled together (ethernet), IP addresses didn't need to be assigned. I'm not explaining myself very well here.

I am going to do as you suggest but still a little unsure why I can't "plug & play".
I understand what you're saying. Assigned IP addresses and the associated details such as MAC tables in essence are a bit like house numbers.

You can't collect or deliver packets from one house to another unless each one has a proper address. That's the function fulfilled by the router software. It manages the flow of data between addresses and makes sure stuff gets delivered right.

That's a terribly naff and simplified view but hopefully will help to make it clearer.
Old 13-08-2009, 16:14   #12
zing_deleted

you could go Modem to router to switch to homeplug? but if you have a router that works you do not need the switch

If you have a pc on the network thats always on you can go modem to pc to switch to homeplug to netowrk using ICS if your router is faulty

Edit I see you only use one pc

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

ok I am now confusing myself. Why do you need a switch? you could just install a second ethernet adapter to your pc

Modem to PC Pc to homeplug to media centre
Old 13-08-2009, 16:24   #13
Dai
Inactive

Good grief Zing..

and anyway ICS has always been flaky at best.
Old 13-08-2009, 16:31   #14
Wolfie
Inactive

No kit is allowed in the kitchen with the laptop! Modem/router/switch/server all have to be in the attic out of sight! So the conns have to be made, then plugged into Homeplug in attic so that I can plug into Homeplug anywhere else in the house and have broadband and server connectivity!

Thanks for trying something else though!

Going home soonish so will have a go using modem>belkin router>homeplug!
Old 13-08-2009, 17:03   #15
Dai
Inactive

No problems there I think. Modem presumably at the moment has a patch cable running to attic homeplug so you'll just need a 2nd patch cable to insert the router into the circuit.

One 'gotcha' that I can think of immediately. The router will have a default range for IP addresses probably in a 192.168.xx.xx format. The media centre NAS may have a set IP in a different range. You may have to read the handbook and discover what are the default settings and if they need to be changed.

In your situation I'd add the router, restart everything and get the modem-router-laptop working first then think about adding the media unit once that is all OK.