Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | a question about virgin media and xbox live

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

a question about virgin media and xbox live

Old 29-06-2007, 21:44   #1
helloiamnew
Inactive

helloiamnew is an unknown quantity at this point
a question about virgin media and xbox live

HI,

I am new to the forums and have a question

I have been using the broadband service from NTL for years and have now migrated to the virgin media services and have no problem.

Before Christmas I was offered their starter pack service for 1p a month which i took and had installed in my bedroom.

I had been using their phone and broadband service before then and had a broadband installation in another room for my PC

One day i used the modem to connect to xbox live using the coax that was going into my STB for my tv service and it worked.

I decided to split my TV signal thereafter so I could use xbox live and connect the PC to the internet at the same time

However when I tried to use a regular (not hacked or chipped) NTL 250 modem to connect to live the connection failed at the MTU

The modem also failed to connect when I tried it on my PC

I am at a loss at what to do as I am now stuck with this modem and it doesn't work

The sync and ready lights are stable but it just doesn't connect

If someone could shed some light on why this modem won't connect I will be happy
helloiamnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2007, 22:23   #2
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society
Re: a question about virgin media and xbox live

It sounds like you're trying to connect two modems (remember you're using the STB as a modem) at the same time. You need a router rather than splitting the signal and confusing the network.

Edit: And the very thing you need was posted for sale earlier this evening
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/75...-wrt-ebay.html
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 23:00   #3
helloiamnew
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
It sounds like you're trying to connect two modems (remember you're using the STB as a modem) at the same time. You need a router rather than splitting the signal and confusing the network.

Edit: And the very thing you need was posted for sale earlier this evening
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/75...-wrt-ebay.html
Thanks a lot for the reply

I have tried a few forums and let me say you are the first to help so I cannot express how happy you have made me

anyway about the STB I have connect my modem (old sliver NTL 100) currently used for my PC to my xbox 360 with splitter installed no problem I could use live and watch cable but this new NTL 250 modem (that I brought from ebay) doesn't connect
Old 29-06-2007, 23:42   #4
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloiamnew View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply

I have tried a few forums and let me say you are the first to help so I cannot express how happy you have made me

anyway about the STB I have connect my modem (old sliver NTL 100) currently used for my PC to my xbox 360 with splitter installed no problem I could use live and watch cable but this new NTL 250 modem (that I brought from ebay) doesn't connect
That would be the problem then...

Just stick with the modem you were provided and put a router on it. Much easier and sticks within the Ts & Cs. Also allows other things to be attached as you want.
Old 29-06-2007, 23:44   #5
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

You have posted the exactly the same post here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/30...l#post34339948

Try to keep it to one post in future as am sure one of the admins will tell you.

Oh and welcome to the forums
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 23:51   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I've closed your duplicate thread.

1 )You cannot use two modems at once.

2) You cannot use modems bought off eBay or anywhere else.

Only a VM supplied, registered, & activated cable modem will work.

I'd suggest you follow brundles' advice & get yourself a cable router. That way, you can use both the PC & the 360 online at the same time, no need for swapping leads over or moving the modem or anything.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 23:51   #7
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

I wouldn't be too vocal about buying an NTL250 from fleabay as these modems remain the property of VM.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 16:07   #8
helloiamnew
Inactive

Right so no one has really told me why I am having this problem or what I should do to remedy it

If no one has any answers just say so and close the thread then I can spend my time better else where

I posted in this forum because I thought somebody may have encountered this problem or know why it is happing

I don't know if I have an incompatible modem (for my 360) or I need to register the modem or do some kind of configuration?

If anybody knows please help

I can do without these sort or remarks above ^

The first person to post was trying to help others just seem to be snotty about my predicament

and I posted in the games section because I though people who have a 360 may know how to help

Sorry for breaking the rules
Old 30-06-2007, 16:19   #9
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloiamnew View Post
Right so no one has really told me why I am having this problem or what I should do to remedy it

If no one has any answers just say so and close the thread then I can spend my time better else where

I posted in this forum because I thought somebody may have encountered this problem or know why it is happing

I don't know if I have an incompatible modem (for my 360) or I need to register the modem or do some kind of configuration?

If anybody knows please help

I can do without these sort or remarks above ^

The first person to post was trying to help others just seem to be snotty about my predicament

and I posted in the games section because I though people who have a 360 may know how to help

Sorry for breaking the rules
A modem bought off ebay will not work, you have been told this twice in this thread & also informed that the modem was offered for sale illegally.

I'm sorry that isn't what you wanted to hear, but I don't think anyone was being 'snotty'?
Old 30-06-2007, 16:26   #10
helloiamnew
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
A modem bought off ebay will not work, you have been told this twice in this thread & also informed that the modem was offered for sale illegally.

I'm sorry that isn't what you wanted to hear, but I don't think anyone was being 'snotty'?
Ok cheers!

and sorry if you are easily offended
Old 30-06-2007, 16:47   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

You don't need a second modem (indeed, unless you are going to pay Virgin for another broadband connection, you are unlikely to get one that works). What you need is a router, such as one of the Linksys WRT54G models.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 16:48   #12
brundles
Inactive

The best solution to use both the Xbox and the PC at the same time is to get a router. If you follow the link I put in my first reply, there is a good router for sale on E-Bay from a respected member of this forum (not me!).
Old 30-06-2007, 17:20   #13
helloiamnew
Inactive

Thanks Stuart C and brundles you have been a help

Getting a router is what i was going to do at first but you see my 360 is in a room upstairs in my house and the PC is in a different room downstairs so it is a bit of an impossible mission to hard wire a network ( or be it a pain in the ass)

I can of course set up a wireless network but it will not be as good as a hard wired one and also as I am only on the M package from Virgin it will be a bit of a squeeze to share the 2mb connection for online gaming and downloading large files

Thats way I tried to have two separate connections

anyway I wanted to know if It is a good Idea to ring Virgin and try to register my newly acquired modem

Does anyone think that is a good idea?

or are there other solutions.....like maybe just get a wireless router or forget the hole thing
Old 30-06-2007, 17:34   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

They won't register any modem not acquired through them.

A router is your only option.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 17:45   #15
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

get a router and hard wire both conx you have already wired both modems so you must know what your doing as for 2mb thats more than enough just dont download when gaming
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote