Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL and Netgear wgt 624

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL and Netgear wgt 624

Old 23-04-2006, 21:24   #1
Noel
Inactive

Noel is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL and Netgear wgt 624

Hi,

Just got myself a new wireless laptop.... got my cable modem connected to it, via a ethranet cable.

I have got a netgear wgt624 router...run the install software, plug in all the cables etc...it then says it restarting the network....the software says it cannot decect an internent connection. even though the router's displays shows there is a connection.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA

N
Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2006, 21:36   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: NTL and Netgear wgt 624

Turn off the router, and cable modem.

Switch the cable modem back on. And let all lights settle.
Switch the router on. And connect to it.

Your problem should be solved
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 21:53   #3
Noel
Inactive

nope .... just given that a go...cannot get onto the net, cannot access the router admin

Cable modem is all lit up correctly, router says its picking up everything.

XP is now saying lan might not have full connectivity... when i click on properties, the DNS address is different to the one NTL tech support gave me. Is this the issue? if so, how do i change this?

<bangs head on desk>

TIA

N
Old 25-04-2006, 00:33   #4
Noel
Inactive

Ok.....I am getting there....

I think the router had been used by someone else, classic Comet, take it back in..re-package it and sell it on

Anyway I have managed to login to the router and get all the settings that NTL support said needed to go in.

DCHP-automatic
DNS primary and secondary 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

Domain is NTL

So I have updated the router and all my wireless network properties.

PC can login on to the network, however now I get the error msg in my system tray saying"limited connectivity might not be able to browse web" etc

When I click on the support tab within the network properties..

I have the physical address populated, along with the ip address,subnet mask and the DNS fields.

The two that are missing , and i am assuming I need are "default gateway" and "Wins server" Am I right? If so how do I get them? I know where the gateway entry needs to go, unsure on the wins server?

Any help would be much appreciated.

N
Old 25-04-2006, 09:27   #5
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
Ok.....I am getting there.... I think the router had been used by someone else, classic Comet, take it back in..re-package it and sell it on Anyway I have managed to login to the router and get all the settings that NTL support said needed to go in. DCHP-automatic DNS primary and secondary 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 Domain is NTL So I have updated the router and all my wireless network properties. PC can login on to the network, however now I get the error msg in my system tray saying"limited connectivity might not be able to browse web" etc When I click on the support tab within the network properties.. I have the physical address populated, along with the ip address,subnet mask and the DNS fields. The two that are missing , and i am assuming I need are "default gateway" and "Wins server" Am I right? If so how do I get them? I know where the gateway entry needs to go, unsure on the wins server? Any help would be much appreciated. N
I think you could get away with the WINS server being your router on this one, as is your default gateway.

Should be something along the lines of 192.168.1.1. etc.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote