Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | reinstalled laptop no wireless connection drives

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Printing Help

Old 27-06-2007, 22:19   #1
privateb
Inactive

Services: V+ V box XL L BB L Phone
privateb is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Printing Help

Hello guys

I have just recived this wireless print server from ebay http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

But can't seem to set it up.

I have followed the instructions powered up server plugged in usb printer connection turned printer on and my wireless enabled laptop won't find the printer any ideas?

Thanks
privateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2007, 22:24   #2
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
Re: Wireless Printing Help

Ive had nightmares with my print server in the past. Is there an install CD as you might need a driver for the server

How have you defined the printer? I had to set mine up as a local printer as opposed to what you would expect being a networked printer
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 22:30   #3
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

I've not used the Belkin one, but these often rely on having either some software to act as USB-Ethernet conversion type drivers or some dubious port config for the printer. (Although the Linksys WPS54G will let you talk to it directly as an internet printer.)

Have you run the wizard software they provide?
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 22:30   #4
privateb
Inactive

I have used the cd that came with the server but it keeps coming up saying that it cant find any print servers in my area???
Old 27-06-2007, 22:33   #5
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Apologies for asking the obvious, but has the wireless portion of the server been configured to match your wireless LAN?

Can you see the IP address allocated under the router status anywhere or better still, can you ping the servers IP from your laptop?
Old 27-06-2007, 22:52   #6
Babu
Inactive

Services: Sky TV BT Fibre Broadband
Babu will become famous soon enoughBabu will become famous soon enoughBabu will become famous soon enough

The image shown on pcworld's site is the F1UP0001UK print server. I had problems installing this some months back, the solution at the time was to use the installation wizard downloaded from their support site rather than the wizard that came on a cd.

Click
Babu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 23:56   #7
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I had problems with my one but eventually got it sorted, it just seems to take time to install that model for some reason.
Old 28-06-2007, 14:21   #8
privateb
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
Apologies for asking the obvious, but has the wireless portion of the server been configured to match your wireless LAN?

Can you see the IP address allocated under the router status anywhere or better still, can you ping the servers IP from your laptop?

Sorry but I don't understand this wireless very well.
I have a linksis router that supplys by laptop with the internet which just has my virgin bb connection in the back. then i have my print server plugged into the printer by usb and that is it. do I need to connect the print server to the router with ethernet connection???

Thanks guys
Old 28-06-2007, 14:52   #9
brundles
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateb View Post
Sorry but I don't understand this wireless very well.
I have a linksis router that supplys by laptop with the internet which just has my virgin bb connection in the back. then i have my print server plugged into the printer by usb and that is it. do I need to connect the print server to the router with ethernet connection???

Thanks guys
That's probably an option, but I meant you will need to configure the print servers wireless settings (SSID, encryption, etc) to match your router. I suspect that if you connect the router to your laptop via a cable and run the wizard it will take you through this. (But can't be sure as I don't have one of these.)
Old 28-06-2007, 20:19   #10
privateb
Inactive

I can find the ip address for the print server but when I put that address in the address bar in exploer it comes up with page can't be found?!?!?!?!?!?!?
This is begining to get on my breasts!
Old 28-06-2007, 21:15   #11
brundles
Inactive

OK, what IP address are you using for the print server and what's the IP address of your laptop?

It's possible that the print server doesn't have a web interface (not common but not impossible). Can you PING it from a command prompt? (Click Start, then Run, then type CMD into the box and click OK, then type PING <ip address> and hit enter).