Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help needed on installation of Netgear WNR384B

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help needed on installation of Netgear WNR384B

Old 21-03-2008, 19:09   #1
Baxter
Inactive

Baxter is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help needed on installation of Netgear WNR384B

Good Evening ,
I purchased a refurbished Netgear WNR 384B and as you know this does not come with installation CD . I was also not aware that the 30 day support is only by e-mail so for the last 5 days I have tried to resolve my basic problem with installation . I send an e-mail to Netgear , they respond 24- 30 hours later , solution does not work , further request for help etc etc.

I hop that someone out there has experienced the same problems with installation adn therefore I will get this resolved and not feel totally useless.

My basic problem is that I have cable Broadband , currently it is set wher I have a fixed wire from modem to computer . I have followed netgear set up proceudure and when I connect to router I am unable to get internet connection to see router and finish set up .

Currently I have followed the 2 solution from Net Gear being

Solution 1
. Click on Control Panel from the Start Menu.
2. Double Click on 'Internet Options'.
3. Delete the cookies and files.
4. Click on security tab from the top and select default level security. Apply the settings.
5. Click on Content tab from the top and click 'clear SSL state'
6. Click on 'Connections' tab from the top of the window.
7. Make sure that 'Never Dial A Connection' is selected from the 'Dial-up and Virtual Private Network Settings'.
8. Click on 'LAN settings' and make sure there is no check for proxy server.
9. Close the Internet Options window.
10. Make sure that on the browser window under the 'File' menu 'Work offline' is unchecked.

CONFIGURE THE ROUTER:

1. Connect a Ethernet cable from the Modem to the WAN port of the router(isolated port).
2. Connect the computer to the router using any one of the 4 available ports. Please make sure that THERE IS NO DIRECT CONNECTION BETWEEN THE MODEM AND THE COMPUTERS (either using Ethernet cable or USB cable).
3. Open the browser(Internet Explorer or Netscape).
4. Access the router settings with the address: www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm

Unfortunately when I get to this point I am unable to get internet connection and get the usual dns server error page

OPTION 2
I understand that you are unable to connect to internet through the router. It is in this context, I would suggest you to please try with the following steps to configure the router:

A) Reset the router using the following steps:

1. At the back of the router, there is a small round pinhole. This is the reset button.
2. Using a pen or a paperclip, press and hold the reset button. While holding it down, power off the router for 5 seconds, power it back on and continue to hold the reset button for another 15 seconds.
3. Unplug the power from the router, wait for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

B) Configure the router for the internet connection using the following steps:

1. Connect the modem to the internet port and the computer to the LAN port on the router.
2. Power off the modem and the router. Power on the modem, wait for 1 minute and then power on the router.
3. Open the browser (Internet Explorer or Netscape).
4. Access the router (usually http://192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm).

Again at this point same problem , unable to get internet connection .

I do understand that networking is not as straighforward as just plugging in cables and switching on but if anyone out there could point me with a few tips or potential solutions then that would be great and much appreciated . I just hope that if I solve this problem I do not gain more but I guess small steps first

Thanking You in Advance

Baxter
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2008, 20:25   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Help needed on installation of Netgear WNR384B

I can't to find the specifications of that router. Is it standalone i.e. it doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem. Are you connecting it to Virgin Media Cable, or something else.

That it is refurbished is perhaps a worry. Do you know that the fault that required it to be refurbished has been fully repaired?

Whatever you do start with the router set to factory standards. If you've been fiddling with it's configuration get back to basics so you have a clean sheet to play with.

If connecting to the Virgin Media modem, you must power off the modem before you make any connection or change the device connected to the modem i.e. computer or router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 20:40   #3
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Think he made a typo - he must mean WNR834B
Old 21-03-2008, 23:30   #4
MaccLad
cf.member

MaccLad is an unknown quantity at this point

When you've set it all up according to those instructions you've posted above , do you know if the router is managing to assign an IP address to the PC?

Click Start / Run, and enter 'cmd' to open a DOS window.
At the command prompt, enter:
ipconfig /all

You should have an IP address of 192.168.x.y (not sure what x and y will be for that router); if it's a 169.a.b.c then the router isn't assigning a proper IP address.

I wasn't sure from the above if you've already checked out all that sort of stuff.

------
Also, I just wondered whether the cable your using from the PC to the router is maybe a cross-over cable (could be if it's the one you were previously using from PC to modem)?
MaccLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 17:51   #5
Baxter
Inactive

Baxter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccLad View Post
When you've set it all up according to those instructions you've posted above , do you know if the router is managing to assign an IP address to the PC?

Click Start / Run, and enter 'cmd' to open a DOS window.
At the command prompt, enter:
ipconfig /all

You should have an IP address of 192.168.x.y (not sure what x and y will be for that router); if it's a 169.a.b.c then the router isn't assigning a proper IP address.

I wasn't sure from the above if you've already checked out all that sort of stuff.

------
Also, I just wondered whether the cable your using from the PC to the router is maybe a cross-over cable (could be if it's the one you were previously using from PC to modem)?
Good Afternoon MaccLad ,

Many thanks for your response , I have ran the ipconfig/all
Windows IP Config
Host Name WS3
Primary DNS Siffix :
Node Type: Hybrid
Ip Routing: No
Wins Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection

Description Intel (r) Pro 100 VE Network
Physical Address 00-0C-F1-ED-21-66
Dhcp Enabled : No

IP Address 83.245.107.30
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 83.245.107.254
DNS Series 212.113.0.3

I have since had a further comment from netgear
Regarding your concern, I would suggest you to execute the following troubleshooting steps on the computer and mail us the detail results to analyze & work upon the issue:

Please connect computer to the LAN port of router :

1. Click Start -- Run, type 'CMD' for Windows XP/2000/2003 or type ‘Command’ in case of Windows 98se/ME and press Enter. For Vista click Start – Run – All Programs – Accessories – Command Prompt.
2. Type 'ipconfig' and press enter.
3. Mail us the complete IP configuration information.

4. Type 'ping «Gateway»’ where Gateway is the Default Gateway received from troubleshooting step 2. Then, press Enter. Check if you receive four replies.
5. Type 'ping 4.2.2.2' hit Enter. Check if you receive four replies.
6. Type 'ping www.yahoo.com' hit Enter. Check if you receive four replies.
7. Mail us the results of the ping tests.

I have carried out the above and the results are below

ipconfig
IP Address 83.245.107.30
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 83.245.107.254

Second Request , I was not sure about ping <> , I did try this and the response was ping request could not find Gateway
I then pinged 83.245.107.254 and I got
Request timed out 4 times
Sent 4 Received 0 Lost 4

This was the same result for ping 4.2.2.2

When I pinged www.yahoo,com the response was
Ping request could not find host www.yahoo.com, please check name and try again

In relation to the cable , I am not sure what a cross over cable is but the cable from modem to router is the original cable which I currently use to link modem to computer.
The cable from router to computer is the cable that was supplied with router

I hope that this sheds some light on where to go next.

Once again many thanks for any help

Kind Regards

Baxter

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Think he made a typo - he must mean WNR834B
You are right typo error , so not only am I unable to configure a router but I can not even type correct.

Not sure what this web page is for , can you please clarify

Regards
Baxter

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I can't to find the specifications of that router. Is it standalone i.e. it doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem. Are you connecting it to Virgin Media Cable, or something else.

That it is refurbished is perhaps a worry. Do you know that the fault that required it to be refurbished has been fully repaired?

Whatever you do start with the router set to factory standards. If you've been fiddling with it's configuration get back to basics so you have a clean sheet to play with.

If connecting to the Virgin Media modem, you must power off the modem before you make any connection or change the device connected to the modem i.e. computer or router.
Sorry ,
I typed in the wrong details it is a Netgear WNR834B , I am not sure what teh exact fault was . I purchased it from Planet 78 and they advise that refurbshed means that they have been returned , sometimes it can just be damaged package box.

I have tried the complete rest of router without any luck.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated
Regards
Baxter
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 19:10   #6
MaccLad
cf.member

MaccLad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I'm puzzled by that IP address. I reckon that makes it one from the following range (RIPE database query):
inetnum: 83.245.107.0 - 83.245.107.255
netname: PKXG-CUST-skyteln0-03
descr: Skytel Networks
descr: North Wexford Wireless LAN pool

You didn't say what broadband you were on.
Surely not Skytel, Co Wexford, Ireland?
Is the PC's ethernet adaptor configured to obtain an IP address automatically? If so, something weird is going on with the router.
MaccLad is offline   Reply With Quote