Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 21-10-2005, 14:25   #271
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn
because in my area we can't be bulldog n stuff.. even tho theres room in the exchange, even tho. when i phoned up, they told me 100% that it was filled up, and they had to wait for room..
But the MAXdsl will be provided by BT
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2005, 15:50   #272
Martyn
Inactive

Services: Sky TV 2TB HD - Fiber Pro
Martyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
But the MAXdsl will be provided by BT
hmm... so whens the eta on that =-/

also who owns the exchanges? sorry if random question..?
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 17:46   #273
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

It's all in the link I gave

Quote:
BT Wholesale's 8 meg service is due to be up and running by spring 2006
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 18:21   #274
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn
also who owns the exchanges? sorry if random question..?
BT owns them (used to be the Post Office years ago )

With LLU (local loop unbundling), the likes of Bulldog and EasyNet are allowed to install their own equipment in BT's exchanges and I think they essentially own the line to your house (though repairs to the line might still involved BT, not sure. I guess LLU companies pay BT for that?). Normally BT owns the line and equipment and ADSL providers buy off BT Wholesale, hence the prices are driven by BT.

LLU often provides higher speeds but mainly due to short distances to the exchange. BT's maxDSL is basically BT opening their speeds up to provide 8Mbps potentially so all providers buying off BT Wholesale can offer this, but it's still subject to line lengths. If you are very close you may get 8Mbps, otherwise could be 4 or 2Mbps. Some people a fair distance or on poor quality lines are still limited to 512kbps. This is different to cable where you can get the full speed wherever you live but poor line quality results in disconnections instead.

Coming up after maxDSL is ADSL2+ which has potential speeds of 24Mbps, but again will vary on line length. Needs a modem supporting ADSL2+ though. BT, the LLU providers and even NTL are looking at ADSL2+ technology.

It won't stop there either, though I still think the dream of 100Mbps fibre to home like some countries is a long way off. Then again, BT are committed to switching POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) to IP by something like 2010 and with Sky buying up the likes of EasyNet there could be a huge drive to get video and phone technology streaming over IP at huge rates and 100Mbps may be necessary ultimately.

Cable have problems keeping up in this area unless they are prepared to do fibre to home. Current coax/fibre hybrid is pretty crappy. It's like old thick-ethernet technology in many ways which was flawed.
DeadKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2005, 06:29   #275
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

there is a bit more to it as well, those using bt wholesale services have to purchase bt central pipes which cost at an level making it unviable to have uncapped or high capped services, this is why plusnet pipex etc. are all changing their polocies, but if you look at bulldog and easynet,telewest they dont have the same restrictions. NTL and wannadoo are the odd one's out in this case.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2005, 12:25   #276
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough

Then again there are other restrictions, such as EasyNet doesn't allow running of many servers (they block the ports).

There are negative and plus points for all of them and not really any single one ISP that's all round-perfect. Or at least if there is, it won't last long. Consumer broadband is just something that has to be managed in some form as speeds increase.
DeadKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 16:13   #277
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

The restrictions you mention are just their own choice of policy rather then limitation of technology.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 10:27   #278
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

A useful link if you're wanting ADSL but your exchange hasn't been enabled.

http://www.thepowerofbroadband.org.uk
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 13:53   #279
skynet777
Inactive

skynet777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem View Post
Nevermind - obviously the rules appear to have changed recently - like a thread I was reading earlier from someone with an NTL BB problem - Neil seemed more interesting in advising them how to jump ship rather than offering any NTL related help.

http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=4703

How times change ......
I would not jump back to a phone line from a cable one, no way pedro

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlingman View Post
Just to clarify a few things I believe Neil changed providers when he was still with NTL according to his first post saying he would rather pay for a connection that works rather than having a subsidised connection that is unreliable.

As for advertising to jump ship well maybe so he is allowed to suggest free speech here as he is not on the payroll for NTL anymore.

Things do change and this is classic example of that.

He obviously had the same views over at .com and was not allowed to speak his true feelings as he was being paid by them and had to appear to be offering help.

To me it smacks of double standards but at least here this site will not be silenced by NTL and all can speak their mind which is a positive move forward but there are still people around who will help rather than give the answer to jump ship.

Myself I would advise to move on to another provider but then again I am biest as i have been with Piepx for some time now and they rock.

As for the comments about their services mentioned elsewhere i myself am not too bothered about those as i have never had to contact them as their service has been faultless up to now.

I think a lot of it is down to luck, where you live ect: You can get one person who says "Oh yes, blueyonder is great, no problems" then you get another one who says it's unreliable and thev'e had nothing but trouble with it
and they are looking to change ISP's. All I can say is that ever since I started using cable, I would never go back to dsl again.
skynet777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 21:44   #280
Le00N
Inactive

Services: 8Mbit UKOnline
Le00N is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just in the middle of waiting for my UKOnline 8Mbit ADSL connection when still using my ntl 4Mbit Cable Modem and have one thing to say - I pray to get the new one as soon as possible .. I've been with ntl for almoust 2 years, for the first year it was really ok.. I always knew that they have a really bad support but as long as my connection was working fine I didn't mind ..

5 months ago I've started to loose my connection, lagging out in on-line games, slow connection most of the time etc. I was calling them around 5-7 times (they've refunded only one of these 25 minutes calls!) before one of them told me that I'm connected to the WRONG server... Only God knows for how long and how they did it ..

After switching me to the right one problem was resolved .. for around 1 week becasue lags came back, twice worser than before. Especially between 18pm-23pm. I phoned them up and they said I'm connected to the right server this time .. And ofcourse sang me their old well known song about "virus, restarting modem/pc, spyware" .. and after around next 5 calls (hell .. I really paid a lot for these calls) they've send an engineer.. and surprisingly he knew what he was doing but ... he had no bloody idea what is the problem and after few things checked told me that he has no more time for me and I have to call ntl centre to get another appointment ...

Are they kidding me? ... I'm not perfectly sure about that but I think ntl's ratio is 100/1 when even BT has 50/1 and UKOnline is on 33/1, inlcluding hours of the problem it's not hard to see what is the cause of it ...

So conclusion is simple - if NTL will not wake up and start providing a Service (with big S) and not a "service" as they do at the moment then even mariage with Virgin Media won't help them and they will loose us one by another - just like they've lost me and many others already

ADSL2+ for the win ...
Le00N is offline   Reply With Quote