Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How can I prevent my housemate from accessing my wireless internet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How can I prevent my housemate from accessing my wireless internet?

Old 12-04-2008, 17:56   #1
shredder
Inactive

shredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to shredder
How can I prevent my housemate from accessing my wireless internet?

No, I'm not being stingy!

The broadband account is in my name and the direct debit comes out of my account each month.....and he's not paid me his share in four months, despite numerous requests. Is there anyway for me to prevent him from using the internet without him knowing I've done it?

Thanks

K
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2008, 17:58   #2
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby
Re: How can I prevent my housemate from accessing my wireless internet?

If its wireless, why not change the WEP/WPA, and change and hide the SSID. That way your router would just vanish
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 17:59   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

It would be obvious if you've blocked it.

Assuming you have control over the router, log into the admin page, change the admin password so he can't log in himself. Then change the wireless password key. You'd have to change the key on your own computers to match the new one.

If he has physical access to the modem / router, he could of course just unplug cables.

Edit: Oh and do the SSID thingy as suggested above too
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 18:01   #4
Losttheplot

MAC filtering would also stop his access.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:14   #5
shredder
Inactive

shredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation era

Thanks guys, he does have access to the router, but wouldn't know what to do with it, and if he saw the other laptop etc working would just assume it was his that was at fault! I'll give the above a try.

Whilst I'm here, is there anyway to control the amount he downloads? He's forever downloading films and slowing everyone elses connection down despite my asking him not to!
Old 12-04-2008, 18:21   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Has the router got a QoS function. That would enable his bandwith to be throttled relative to the other connections.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:26   #7
shredder
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Has the router got a QoS function. That would enable his bandwith to be throttled relative to the other connections.

Not sure, how would I check this?!
Old 12-04-2008, 18:30   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Depends on the router. Look in the admin panel options.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:42   #9
shredder
Inactive

Sorry, I'm really dumb beyond the basics! Can anyone tell me where I do this?!
Old 12-04-2008, 18:43   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

What is your router make and model?
Old 12-04-2008, 18:59   #11
shredder
Inactive

Umm it's a Netgear DG834G I'm guessing it's not possible on this model? If so, which would be a good router to purchase that does have it?
Old 12-04-2008, 19:59   #12
Enuff

Shoot him!
Old 12-04-2008, 20:31   #13
shredder
Inactive

I would if I thought I'd get away with it
Old 12-04-2008, 20:51   #14
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder View Post
I would if I thought I'd get away with it
i'm sure there is a forum somewhere that would help you out with that one lol!!
but as said above why not just change the router as jellybaby said (quote) If its wireless, why not change the WEP/WPA, and change and hide the SSID. That way your router would just vanish

it's the best way and so what if he knows you've done it, it is your connection after all and i hate freeloaders he's just as bad as someone who has a cloned modem in my eye's (what's your address i'll grass him up) lol
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 21:28   #15
redbluetwo
Inactive

redbluetwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a radical suggestion.
Change your network security password.
Ask your friend (sponge) to pay for the last four months and next month in advance.
Give your friend the password once paid up.
Put your foot down you'll feel better afterward.
redbluetwo is offline   Reply With Quote