Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media for Freesat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Virgin Media for Freesat

Old 23-11-2015, 11:30   #1
tshukla
Inactive

tshukla is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media for Freesat

Hi All,
I had virgin media connection at my place earlier. I discontinued hte service, opted for SKy internet and got a samsung SMT-S7800 FreeSAT box.(I had to do this as our building has only Virgin connection and do not allow new sky antenna connection)

I had 2 coaxial cables running in my flat, one which connected to virgin TiVo and other to Internet wireless hub.

I carried out following steps for installing the samsung freesat box:
- I chose to connect the internet cable (ethernet cable) of Sky to the Freesat box
- Connected the one coaxial cable the used to run to the virgin tiVo to freesat box
- Connected the other coaxial cable that used to run to the virgin wireless hub to the other socket of the freesat box

After all the connections, I get a momentary display of HDD not ready! followed by HDD ready message but I constantly get an error "Cannot receive this programme. Please check connection".

Could you please advise what am I doing wrong? Will I not get to view any freesat channels using this samsung freesat box and my earlier virgin media connection within the building. Any help/advise will be of great help!
tshukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2015, 11:37   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media for Freesat

FreeSAT is satellite. You need to connect the box to a dish. It won't work using the Virgin Media cable.
Old 23-11-2015, 11:40   #3
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Square peg round hole i'm afraid
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:42   #4
tshukla
Inactive

Thanks Ben, Any suggestion how do I connect it to a dish without the need of a dish to be installed outside my flat?
Old 23-11-2015, 11:49   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshukla View Post
Thanks Ben, Any suggestion how do I connect it to a dish without the need of a dish to be installed outside my flat?
Simple answer is you can't unless the flats have a shared sky system and dish already installed. Your only other options are some form of internet TV or Virgin but for both of those the freesat box is useless.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 12:41   #6
tshukla
Inactive

Thanks for the quick help guys but thats sad!

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

One last question, can I just order for virgin media TiVo to view the free channels? What do I search for to do so?
Old 23-11-2015, 15:50   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

TiVo boxes are only installed when you take out a TV subscription which will have a contract of 12-18 months.

Grap a raspberry pi then use a browser to watch catchuptv and the various internet players is one of your few other choices unless the dish ban doesn't include a normally TV antenna then freebies is the way to go.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 14:57   #8
bamav
cf.addict

Services: VM L TV powered by TiVo, 30MB BB, Sky Sports, Phone L, Freeview.
bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

Raspberry Pi is a little over complicated for catchup! Just get a NOW TV box for all the catchup apps and get either Sky Movies or Entertainment free for a few months. Plenty of the older white boxes on sale. Operates through Wi-Fi too.
bamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 18:53   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshukla View Post
Thanks for the quick help guys but thats sad!

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

One last question, can I just order for virgin media TiVo to view the free channels? What do I search for to do so?
You can, but AIUI one has to take a landline and pay the £5 per month TiVo fee.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote