Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moto G5 roaming/network problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Moto G5 roaming/network problem

Old 15-08-2017, 19:01   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Moto G5 roaming/network problem

The wife's away for a while seeing friends in the EU and trying to use her new MotoG5 coupled with her Virgin PAYG SIM. This has been working flawlessly in the UK for a few months but she first had to get her old SIM changed to a nano sized 4G enabled version before she could use it in the Moto. In the past she's used her old phone/payg sim with no issues and on arrival in the country concerned always received a text message confirming that a new network had been accessed automatically and how much the charges would be. This time no such thing happened and she's struggling to get onto a network at all so she can roam for data as well as make/receive calls, texts etc. So far I've told her to make sure her data connection is set to 'on', data roaming is set to 'on' then do a search for available networks and select a 4g if she can find one or 3g if she can't, changing the preferred network type setting as required to show which are available. So far she's having no luck and I'm wondering what else she could try.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2017, 22:30   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moto G5 roaming/network problem

We had a problem went we to France last month. The wife's phone worked perfectly but mine wouldn't work for data roaming. It appeared as if it wasn't enabled. We had been to France last October but I hadn't used data roaming. What I did was to phone Virgin and they gave the data roaming a hit. This didn't initially work so I swapped the sims between the 2 phones and that seemed to make it work so I swapped the sims back and everything thing started working properly. They also gave me an extra 1GB of data.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 12:24   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
We had a problem went we to France last month. The wife's phone worked perfectly but mine wouldn't work for data roaming. It appeared as if it wasn't enabled. We had been to France last October but I hadn't used data roaming. What I did was to phone Virgin and they gave the data roaming a hit. This didn't initially work so I swapped the sims between the 2 phones and that seemed to make it work so I swapped the sims back and everything thing started working properly. They also gave me an extra 1GB of data.
Interesting thanks.

I've found out a bit more now. She's got 2 phones with her and both are having data issues. The G5 has a VM PAYG SIM and the other phone a 3 SIM. She's managed to get both working normally (texts, calls) except for data. Oddly, when she searches for a network she picks up a list but the one she usually uses 'Orange' shows up as "forbidden!" for some reason.

I've checked the VM and 3 websites and both seem to indicate that data roaming in the EU ought to be enabled automatically on PAYG. Certainly that's what's happened before. I'm wondering whether on the Virgin side the problem is due to the new phone or the change to her SIM which was required at the time (her old one was disabled and she was provided with a 4G 3 in 1 SIM so she could could fit it in the G5's nano sized slot).

On the other phone we're not sure whether the 3 SIM ever worked for data as she only every used it for calls/texts when over there. It's possible then that data roaming was never enabled on it and she just didn't realise before now because she'd never tried it. The 3 site is a bit confusing because in places it states that PAYG SIMs ought to work for data in the EU automatically but in others it states that this feature needs to be enabled in the UK before travelling.
Old 16-08-2017, 14:22   #4
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

But osem everything should be wonderful in the E.U land of milk and honey and peace and tranquility now that the E.U. politburo ordered the phone giants to end extortionate roaming charges.In fact I think a few of our youths voted to remain because,they would not have to pay the increased roaming charge when they were rampaging through europe on their hen/stag parties exchanging witty banter and photos with their friends back in blighty.
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 16:43   #5
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgyburn View Post
But osem everything should be wonderful in the E.U land of milk and honey and peace and tranquility now that the E.U. politburo ordered the phone giants to end extortionate roaming charges.In fact I think a few of our youths voted to remain because,they would not have to pay the increased roaming charge when they were rampaging through europe on their hen/stag parties exchanging witty banter and photos with their friends back in blighty.

... and there was I waiting for someone to blame it on Brexit...
Old 16-08-2017, 22:54   #6
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

There's a problem with the Moto G5 and dual SIM. When the main connection is 3G or 4G it seems the second one is only 2G, so second one may not work in modern networks that are 4G only? See feedback on Amazon. Seems to work for me only having one SIM enabled at the time, hopefully this is a firmware issue not hardware, and can be fixed - apparently the older G3 and G4 dual sims worked as expected.
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 18:16   #7
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm View Post
There's a problem with the Moto G5 and dual SIM. When the main connection is 3G or 4G it seems the second one is only 2G, so second one may not work in modern networks that are 4G only? See feedback on Amazon. Seems to work for me only having one SIM enabled at the time, hopefully this is a firmware issue not hardware, and can be fixed - apparently the older G3 and G4 dual sims worked as expected.
I believe that's the case with most if not all dual SIM phones, certainly all the ones we've had over the years. When one SIM slot is set to 4g or 3g the second SIM only functions on 2g. The removal of the 2g network is therefore going to be a problem for those of us who like the facility of having 2 SIMs the second of which we use for calls/texts. We have VM and 3 SIMs and the latter will only work when they're in the slot designated for 3g or 4g data. That's because 3 SIMs won't work at all on 2g.

Of course it's perfectly possible to change which SIM slot is used for data (i.e. 3g or 4g) so you can switch between the two, but if there's no 2g service then the other SIM will be effectively unusable.
Old 18-08-2017, 11:24   #8
Osem
Inactive

Problem solved. It seems that the new nano SIM provided by VM when she got her new phone needed to be activated to work abroad even though the one it replaced (same phone number) worked fine. It took quite a lot of late night faffing around with a VM rep. who didn't seem to know very much (trainee maybe?) but it's sorted and it's all working fine now so she's delighted and we can keep in touch via whatsapp again.

So the moral of the story is that anyone who gets their SIM replaced for some reason before going abroad ought to make sure that the new one is enabled to allow roaming. Don't assume that because the old one was the new one is....
Old 18-08-2017, 20:42   #9
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

You can log in to your mobile account and change the settings for your phone. Turn off International Call Barring - Roaming should be On - save changes... all done.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:53   #10
Osem
Inactive

The thing is international call barring was never on, roaming was set to on and she couldn't log into any account because she didn't have data in order to access her account.