Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router Recommendation 8 port

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router Recommendation 8 port

Old 25-03-2006, 09:22   #1
zpos
Inactive

zpos is an unknown quantity at this point
Router Recommendation 8 port

I've 'accidently' discovered that my 10Mb connection with NTL is being throttled by my Netgear RP114 router. I say accidently as I temporarily removed my router out of network and noticed a huge increase in my download speed (1.2Mb/s rather than a max of 600kb/s).

I've looked in the routers settings and it does not allow me to change the speed of the WAN port which is stuck on 10mb/Half. So, I need a new router.

At the moment, I have a RP114, a 3com Wireless Access Point. I've just had an extension built which means I need at least 3 more ports so I can be connected everywhere I go (yes, I know it can be wireless, but I decided wired would be better so I had control over any kids behaving badly!).

So, I would like a router (not a adsl modem router - I'm cable remember), that has more than 4 ports - ideally wireless too, but it's not a big deal as I have a WAP which I can hook upto the network.

Any suggestions? I'm worried that I might pick up a router which will throttle my speed again.

Thanks,
z
zpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2006, 09:38   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Router Recommendation 8 port

to Cable Forum

Not sre about routers with 8 ports. You could always opt for a 4 port router, and have a separate switch to enable more wires to connect up.

Of course since ntl say you can only have 3 computers (includes consoles) - I suspect the rule frequently gets broken - you only need a 4 port router and just hav a patch panel nearby so that if you do move stuff around the house infrequently you can swap the connections over. Depends on how you want to do your wiring I suppose.

Any router that supports the 11g wireless standard is going to support the 10meg broadband. Quite a few people on here seem to like the Linksys stuff.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 09:45   #3
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Do you mean something like this, zpos?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=52629

I'm not recommending it, as I've not used it, but it was the first one I came across and is at a decent price.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 10:13   #4
zpos
Inactive

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I did think about going for a 4 port router and expanding it with a switch but I was hoping that I'd be able to reduce the spaghetti junction! I don't I'll be getting my way tho.

I'll check out the linksys models - I'm being a bit of a brand snob I guess (so thanks for the link Gareth), but I'd prefer to go for a popular brand so that I can abuse google should I need additional info.

All this 108mbps stuff is also confusing me. Part of me says that I should pay a bit extra now so that I can have some form of speed increase possibility in future (remember, I've already been caught out by my existing router!). My existing laptop + PC are only capable of 11g and I've just bought another laptop which will also be 11g, so it may be a waste of money buying a 108mbps (famous last words I bet!). It looks like the Belkin Pre-N model might fit the bill (I can at least lose my WAP that way and also free up a LAN port), and then just buy a switch.

I appreciate ntl's 3 pc restriction, but it will be really rare if more than 3 pcs are ever connected to the net at the same time.

z
Old 25-03-2006, 10:28   #5
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Heh, just re-read the title and saw you're looking for 8 port... that'll teach me to try reading CF when I've just woken up. Sorry about that, mate. Think I might just go back to bed

As for being a brand snob... I'm with you there. I like the Linksys, and as they're now owned by Cisco, I like them even more! One of the advantages of growing old is that I can now afford to buy brands
Old 25-03-2006, 10:36   #6
zpos
Inactive

lol, I hear you.

Any particular model in the linksys range?

Just had a look at PC world's site and they've got a 'NETGEAR WGT624 108MBPS WIRELESS FIREWALL ROUTER' for £49.50. .. looks damn ugly tho!

z
Old 25-03-2006, 11:52   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

DONT BUY BELKIN!!!

thankyou
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 11:54   #8
Gareth
cf.mega poster

I like the WRT54G... it's served me well, but I'm afraid it's not any more attractive than the Netgear though
Old 25-03-2006, 14:06   #9
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

I currently have the Linksys WKPC54G, and it woks like a charm. Just a heads-up
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 14:47   #10
zpos
Inactive

Cheers for the heads up.

This is all doing my head in. Someone make a decision for me lol.

z
Old 25-03-2006, 14:51   #11
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

I have an RP114 with a wireless access point... exactly the same setup.

I am looking for more or less the same thing, so I'll let you know if I make a choice in the near future.
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 16:41   #12
zpos
Inactive

Cool Jon. Ain't it a bummer that we're having to upgrade aye! My RP114 has been pretty solid and has given me some very good service.

Any ideas as to what to do with it once I have my new setup? Can I make it into a 'switch' or something userful?

z

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

Ooh, just seen the WKPC54G from comet.co.uk for £44.99 delivered... so I've ordered it!

Thank you Comet, you've made my mind up for me! - It's item code 266620 if anyone else wants it and comes with a PCMIA card too (not that I need one mind).

Thanks for everyones help... so only remaining question is, what to do with my RP114 router?

z
Old 25-03-2006, 17:26   #13
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

You seem to be coming up short on ports I assume your going to ditch the 3com wireless acecss point as the linksys has one built in but the linksys has only 4 ports and the netgears is too slow.

This with your wireless access point would have done the job http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...oduct_uid=5070
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 18:04   #14
zpos
Inactive

Yes, I'll be ditching the WAP and probably the RP114 router. I'll be looking to sell off the PCMIA card as I won't be needing it.

I'll still need to get hold of a switch, but they seem to be cheap as chips.

Is that switch a router? Looks pretty funky.

z
Old 25-03-2006, 18:09   #15
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpos
Is that switch a router? Looks pretty funky.
It's just a switch but it does not have any fancy styling just a nice functional box.
Works for me any way as its easier to pop it on top of stuff.

Ebay is your freind to get rid of your kit. I just sold 5 routers on ebay within 3 days
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote