Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Formula 1 2006 Season

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Formula 1 2006 Season

Old 09-08-2006, 10:03   #61
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society
Re: Formula 1 2006 Season

think that shows the nature of F1 really.. DC and also JV have been doing some brilliant driving this year .. better that Fisi and Kimi have been doing.. but as they aren't challening for wins or points they don't get praised often enough

just hope Newey builds a dream car and DC and Webber can fight for poles and wins next year
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2006, 09:02   #62
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
No, you need to make your mind up - as soon as you had typed 'deserved', you went on to type 'win by default' - which one was it?
It was both. He drove well and would have finished fourth or fifth if the usual suspects hadn't come off. Button didn't come off, the car drove well, he drove well and he deserved to win. But he had no control over the others not having a good race. So it was both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert
Here we go again. I should have known better than to praise 2 Brit's in one reply. I won't bother to go on about DC's achievements as it will only result in some criticism heading his way! Point proven I think!!
It was a biased commentary from one of Button's team mates. I'm not having a go at him for that, if anyone from honda was in the same place I would have expected the same loyalty...note the word loyalty...it's a good thing.

But for accurate and informative commentary about someone other than the Honda drivers, it was not much clout. And that's ITV's fault. Bring him on as a guest sure, but not a commentator please.

I wish people would read the whole of my post before jumping on their soapbox.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2006, 01:13   #63
Legendary_PSR
Inactive

Legendary_PSR is on a distinguished roadLegendary_PSR is on a distinguished road

let's ignore the biased commentary by him for a second and criticise him for setting a new world record for saying "graining" the most times in a 5 minute spell during qualifying

and while villeneuve has driven better this season, i'm glad to see the back of him
Legendary_PSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:40   #64
liamboyle06
Inactive

Services: 3 Mobile Sky+ HD NWE 2MB Wireless Broadband XBOX 360 PS3 Wii
liamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to liamboyle06

So with Schumacher going and Raikonnen taking his place, what do you all think.
Personally I think Kimi is the best driver, other than a poor car he would have won the championship last season and this year, the car is nowhere as near to either Ferrari or Renault.When Kimi is at Ferrari, he will win loads of races and I would not be surprised if he takes the champiuonship in his first season.

Schumacher, i think he is going at the right time. although he is keeping on a role at Ferrari he still would have put up a great fight for the championship in the next couple of seasons also.
liamboyle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:06   #65
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamboyle06 View Post
So with Schumacher going and Raikonnen taking his place, what do you all think.
Personally I think Kimi is the best driver, other than a poor car he would have won the championship last season and this year, the car is nowhere as near to either Ferrari or Renault.When Kimi is at Ferrari, he will win loads of races and I would not be surprised if he takes the champiuonship in his first season.

Schumacher, i think he is going at the right time. although he is keeping on a role at Ferrari he still would have put up a great fight for the championship in the next couple of seasons also.

I don't agree with Kimi being the best driver. And even though I cannot stand the man, in any way shape or form, MS is the best driver in the world, and has been for a long time. I'm glad he's going though...his skill was being overshadowed by his non-personality and very bad sportsmanship.

I would love to see JB in a Ferrari or a Renault. You'd really see what he can do then.
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:25   #66
liamboyle06
Inactive

Services: 3 Mobile Sky+ HD NWE 2MB Wireless Broadband XBOX 360 PS3 Wii
liamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to liamboyle06

My Mistake, i meant to say, Kimi is the best driver after Schumi.
I personally dont like schumacher nor Ferrari. I also think that if you put any half decent driver into Ferrari, they are bound to win races..

Well here is hoping for Mclaren next season to put up a strong showing.
liamboyle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:47   #67
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
............... I also think that if you put any half decent driver into Ferrari, they are bound to win races..
Didn't really work for Barrichello.

Quote:
Well here is hoping for Mclaren next season to put up a strong showing.
For a long while Williams and McLaren were THE teams to beat and I'm sure they will come back to the fore soon.
basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:15   #68
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

it's always difficult to say who the best is.. for me i'd go for Varzi or Nuvolari but alot of people wouldn't even know who they are

in the modern era you'd have to say Schuey is the best, although he never really had a Senna or a Prost to deal with

what annoys me is that for such a great racer he's never really had to shown that much race craft as he can just "wait for the stops" that's why i'd put him behind alot of the other greats out there

if McLaren can build a decent car that lasts races and Fisi and Kovallienen can do a decent job at Renault it should be a great season next year

Massa has actually given Schuey a good run for his money this year and i don't rate him at all so that says alot about his retirement really.. will be interesting to see the gap between Massa and Kimi
Old 12-09-2006, 13:28   #69
keithwalton
Inactive

keithwalton has reached the bronze age
keithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze age

The mac isnt a bad car this year its just not a race winning car. It will be good to be finally rid of schum, kimi wont really fit in at fezza and i doubt he'll stay there for much more than a year or two. Massa is quick but is prone to making silly errors and although he's improved this year monza proved he still makes silly mistakes.

As for Button he'll be living his career out at Honda I doubt any other team would touch him with a barge pole after his contract weezelness.

The Honda isnt a bad car either and I really am starting to get fed up with the commentators and there ability to make excuses for Button.
keithwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 13:28   #70
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

These days is it really a case of who is the best driver? The race result is largely determined by who has the best back room staff, strategists and pit crew.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 13:57   #71
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton View Post
The mac isnt a bad car this year its just not a race winning car. It will be good to be finally rid of schum, kimi wont really fit in at fezza and i doubt he'll stay there for much more than a year or two. Massa is quick but is prone to making silly errors and although he's improved this year monza proved he still makes silly mistakes.

As for Button he'll be living his career out at Honda I doubt any other team would touch him with a barge pole after his contract weezelness.

The Honda isnt a bad car either and I really am starting to get fed up with the commentators and there ability to make excuses for Button.
But they're not - his driving is almost always faultess. The main prob with honda is the top speed of the car -on average, approx 12kph less than Renault. No good at all. Stick Button in a better car and they'll be no need for excuses.
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 14:06   #72
sherer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@huth View Post
These days is it really a case of who is the best driver? The race result is largely determined by who has the best back room staff, strategists and pit crew.
very true.. i'm sure this will be proven next year when we get the new Adrian newey designed Red Bull

i don't understand why the only driver who hated all this technology and strategy stuff was Senna.. he knew it made an average driver closer to him and wanted it gone from the sport.. since him no other driver has stated how crazy it is

i think at most the driver accounts for about .5 to 1 second a lap whereas a top designer can bring in 2-3 seconds
Old 08-10-2006, 09:24   #73
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

w00t - Alonso came up with the goods in Suzuka and surprisingly Ferrari had reliability issues. If Alonso can get at least 8th place in Brazil then it's another world title under his belt
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:17   #74
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
w00t - Alonso came up with the goods in Suzuka and surprisingly Ferrari had reliability issues. If Alonso can get at least 8th place in Brazil then it's another world title under his belt
It was very much a Motson-moment wasn't it...in the warm-up to the race one bright spark commentator said that Ferrari were so reliable, they hadn't had an engine failiure in over five years...and booom! Engine failiure. Quite a race expected in Brazil now though...looking forward to that.

On a separate note, I was listening to Radio One last week and they very kindly gave me notice that they were about to tell me the F1 result from China before I'd actually seen the race. So I duly switched off the radio for a couple of minutes until the danger had past.

Yesterday morning, I was listening to Radio 2, no warning at all, straight from the last news story into, "Fernando Alonso has won the...."

Boy did I swear! Still a pretty good race though.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:28   #75
sherer
Inactive

have to say i think justice has been done here.. over the course of the season Alonso has been the better driver.. or had the better package under him anyway, until outside forces decided to interferre

don't forget that Schuey shouldn't have got any points from hunhary due to his race barging tactics and cutting across chicanes so take that point away and the title will already be Alonso's