Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Formula 1 2006 Season

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Formula 1 2006 Season

Old 07-08-2006, 11:49   #46
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
Re: Formula 1 2006 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy
errmmm the driver is not the whole package so its not just Button that made the win, the car, the team and the driver make the package. After 113 attempts if he was any good he would have been poached by a decent team and therefore would have had a good team and equipment.

The telemetry shows he's the smoothest and faultless driver!!! Rubbish, where has this been published? Being the smoothest doesnt mean your the fastest if your not using the equipment to its max. Yes two drivers in the same car driving to the max would show the smoothest to be fastest but it has to be at the max.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

The conditions showed the drivers skills in a particular condition and nothing else
Don't watch much F1 do you?
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2006, 12:05   #47
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
Having spent 5 years working for a GP team, your right, i no longer watch GP.

I watch motor racing thats competitive (ie where the equipment is all the same) and not ruined by money.
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:27   #48
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
As much as I support your patriotic support for button, I'm afraid to say that W&C is correct. He's a great driver, yes, but he's not the best. That's not to detract in any way from his deserved win yesterday, but I have a feeling that it will be a long time before we see another from him.

And looking at the final podium it was a sort of victory by default really wasn't it? Still, great race, lots of action, lots of overtaking and a good result for the boy Button!
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:34   #49
orangebird
Inactive

orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
As much as I support your patriotic support for button, I'm afraid to say that W&C is correct.
I don't support Button through F1 - Alonso has my interest more than anyone else. But as usual, a Brit does well, and out come the slaggers.

Quote:
He's a great driver, yes, but he's not the best. That's not to detract in any way from his deserved win yesterday, but I have a feeling that it will be a long time before we see another from him.

And looking at the final podium it was a sort of victory by default really wasn't it? Still, great race, lots of action, lots of overtaking and a good result for the boy Button!
Button won that race by driving perfectly, and (for once) Honda having thought their tactics through. Not a default win really. You don't have to be the best driver to win (fwiw I think MS is the best driver for a long long time) - it's a mixture of conditions, car, tactics and driver all together. And they finally did come together for Button yesterday.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:43   #50
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
As much as I support your patriotic support for button, I'm afraid to say that W&C is correct. He's a great driver, yes, but he's not the best. That's not to detract in any way from his deserved win yesterday, but I have a feeling that it will be a long time before we see another from him.

Sadly I have to agree that JB, whilst a good (even great) driver, does not have that 'magic' element of say Alonso or Raikkonen that makes for race winning drives. He has the potential no doubt, but he has yet to find that special something that makes the difference.
basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 19:08   #51
rovert
Inactive

Services: Ex VM now P.O. BB & phone, Freeview.
rovert is on a distinguished roadrovert is on a distinguished road

Why is it that in this country when any of our sportsman win something the critics come out to belittle their achievements? Schumacher was nowhere in the early stages and even though he got up to second he was overtaken by de la Rosa towards the end before dropping out. Alonso although in the lead would not have won this race as Jenson was catching him and would, in my opinion, have passed him. So Jenson would have won this race even if the main contenders had not dropped out. Let us not forget that he started in 14th and, in winning, beat Nigel Mansell's achievement of winning this race from 11th.

I think we should also recognise another Brit's efforts in this race. No, I don't mean DC finishing 5th, good as his performance was. I refer to Anthony Davidson making his debut in the commentary box. He displayed the sort of techical knowledge that has become Martin Brundle's trademark. Well done Anthony!

Perhaps we should also remember that that Martin Brundle started over 180 races without a win and Mark Blundell competed in 61 without standing on the top step. These were 2 great British drivers who went on to achieve wonderful things in other branches of motorsport. Jenson however has outshone them in the pinacle of motorsport - F1. So let's give credit where it's due. Great drive, Jenson.
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 23:30   #52
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
I don't support Button through F1 - Alonso has my interest more than anyone else. But as usual, a Brit does well, and out come the slaggers.
Have you heard of Specsavers? In one sentance you're calling me a 'slagger' (charming) and in the next you're quoting the bit where I said his win was "deserved".

And then you almost quote verbatim what W&C said which you had a go at him for. Are you having hot flushes?

And for the record, I was proud to heard the national anthem playing for the GP winner yesterday, and I was happy to see him win. It's just that being realistic, I feel it's unlikely we'll see it happening too often.

Basa puts his finger right on it...Button is great, one of the best, if not THE best of the rest. But he doesn't have the x factor (for want of a better description) that sets him above anyone else. And there's nothing wrong with that, Coulthard has made a great career out of being a solid great driver without being THE best and the race needs those drivers as much as anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert
I think we should also recognise another Brit's efforts in this race. No, I don't mean DC finishing 5th, good as his performance was. I refer to Anthony Davidson making his debut in the commentary box. He displayed the sort of techical knowledge that has become Martin Brundle's trademark. Well done Anthony!
Well I guess it's personal taste. Personally I like comentators to talk about the subject in hand rather than turning a discussion about another de la Rosa overtaking Shoemaker into a monologue about how great Jenson Button is. I know he's loyal to Honda and his drivers, which is why he should have been allowed nowhere near the commentary box.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:00   #53
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

the problem is in F1 at the moment the driver counts for very little you need the team of engineers and designers to get it right and give you a winning car before a top driver can even come close to winning.. just look at Massa hardley the greatest driver ever but in a Ferrari he can keep pace with MS most of the time

Button has never really had a car capable of winning he's had one that has been close a few times but never quite there.. over one lap in qualifying he's been able to make up for that and put it on pole but as the car hasn't been a winner he hasn't been able to convert that into a win

none of his team mates have ever won a race in the same car either or even come close and Rubens is a former race winner and he could only make fourth

on his first visit to Spa he qualified third ahead of his team mate which shows he has the ability

without a race winning car he's had to wait for the right circumstances to be able to win.. you can only beat those that are out there and that's what JB did on Sunday.. at the end of the day he crossed the line fine and no one else can take that away from him

the way the Hondas are going at the moment it might take awhile for the circumstances to fall into place for him to get another win but that isn't anything to do with Jenson
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:11   #54
liamboyle06
Inactive

Services: 3 Mobile Sky+ HD NWE 2MB Wireless Broadband XBOX 360 PS3 Wii
liamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to liamboyle06

Just read there now that Webber is off to RBR for Next season: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36987

There goes my Prediction of Webber and Alonso for Mclaren. Honestly though would like to see Raikonnen and Alonso together next season, but too much smoke surrounding Raikonnen heading to Ferrari.
liamboyle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:13   #55
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
Have you heard of Specsavers? In one sentance you're calling me a 'slagger' (charming) and in the next you're quoting the bit where I said his win was "deserved".

<snip>.
No, you need to make your mind up - as soon as you had typed 'deserved', you went on to type 'win by default' - which one was it?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:19   #56
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

so far this season

Montoya has gone to NASCAR

JV has left now and looks like not getting a drive for next season :-(

Webber of to RBR with the new Adrian Newey car along with DC.. should be a good car to drive next year if they can get the engine deal sorted out

must say i thought Kubica had a great drive at the weekend just wish it wasn't in place of JV
Old 08-08-2006, 10:49   #57
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
so far this season

Montoya has gone to NASCAR

JV has left now and looks like not getting a drive for next season :-(

Webber of to RBR with the new Adrian Newey car along with DC.. should be a good car to drive next year if they can get the engine deal sorted out

must say i thought Kubica had a great drive at the weekend just wish it wasn't in place of JV
Talking of Kubica (good drive, but lost his point for the car being too light) - why did his lost point go to MS??? MS didn't even finish the race!!! Why didn't it go to Tiago Monteiro? Is there a rule I missed out on?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:10   #58
sherer
Inactive

Quote:
Talking of Kubica (good drive, but lost his point for the car being too light) - why did his lost point go to MS??? MS didn't even finish the race!!! Why didn't it go to Tiago Monteiro? Is there a rule I missed out on?
yeah that is abit annoying.. if you retire with three laps left or one lap or something then you are classed as the first car to finish on that lap so Michael was in front of Monteiro.. although really he should have had a penalty for cutting the chicane with De La Rosa and keeping his position.. plus dangerous driving with Heidfeld too

several times you see on the screen an incident involving car x and car y but with MS this never even gets looks at by the stewards.. a few years ago at Indy it looked like he passed JB into turn one under a yellow but this never even got looked at either then

ok MS got a penalty for overtaking under red flags but in the end this turned out to be no real penalty at all
Old 08-08-2006, 11:13   #59
orangebird
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
yeah that is abit annoying.. if you retire with three laps left or one lap or something then you are classed as the first car to finish on that lap so Michael was in front of Monteiro.. although really he should have had a penalty for cutting the chicane with De La Rosa and keeping his position.. plus dangerous driving with Heidfeld too

several times you see on the screen an incident involving car x and car y but with MS this never even gets looks at by the stewards.. a few years ago at Indy it looked like he passed JB into turn one under a yellow but this never even got looked at either then

ok MS got a penalty for overtaking under red flags but in the end this turned out to be no real penalty at all
Brown paper bags being passed under 'Little Chef' tables springs to mind here....
Old 08-08-2006, 19:41   #60
rovert
Inactive

Services: Ex VM now P.O. BB & phone, Freeview.
rovert is on a distinguished roadrovert is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Well I guess it's personal taste. Personally I like comentators to talk about the subject in hand rather than turning a discussion about another de la Rosa overtaking Shoemaker into a monologue about how great Jenson Button is. I know he's loyal to Honda and his drivers, which is why he should have been allowed nowhere near the commentary box.
Here we go again. I should have known better than to praise 2 Brit's in one reply. I won't bother to go on about DC's achievements as it will only result in some criticism heading his way! Point proven I think!!
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote