Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Superhub] Wired devices can't see wireless devices

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Superhub] Wired devices can't see wireless devices

Old 10-09-2011, 20:52   #1
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation
[Superhub] Wired devices can't see wireless devices

I'm not sure if this is a known superhub issue but It's been driving me mad for weeks now. Firstly I wanted to set up a homegroup so I could share files between my desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless). the problem is neither can see each other through the superhub, only when both are wired can they communicate.

Today I was going to try our a new piece of software released by Microsoft Garage called Mouse W/O Borders which is pretty similar to synagy. It allows you to share files by dragging and dropping between screens with the mouse basically turning two computers into one with control from a single keyboard/mouse. However this does not work either due to this network issue.

Is this a known problem and is there a fix. like a setting that can get wireless and wired devices to communicate via the superhub. It is very annoying. I could find no information online regarding this issue and the superhub so I am not sure if others here have had it and know a solution. I only found information about problems with linksys routers that do have some security setting that allows the two to see each other.

Sadly I have no option to connect both by wired or both by wireless as the desktop doesn't have wireless, the laptop is supposed to be 'mobile' and there's only one ethernet to my room. I would have to put the old D-link in my room which is a hassle as I'd rather not have more electricals ticking away!

Thank you in advance!
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: [Superhub] Wired devices can't see wireless devices

The superhub seems to have a weak wifi signal that may not be propagating to your room. To confirm this take the laptop cloe to the desktop (same room) and see if you can connect.
Some other things to try:
Optimise your chanels manually, you can install InSSider to help with this.
802.11 mode: up to 145mbps
802.11 band: 2.4ghz
use security mode: WPA2-PSK[AES]
set the link speed and duplex on both computers to Auto.
Disable any software firewalls

Good luck
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 13:33   #3
ileikcaek
cf.addict

I am pretty certain it has little to do with the wifi signal strength although I do agree that the superhub signal can be pretty weak.

I've used the InSSIder program in recent times and I have the superhub set to a channel that surrounding wifi networks aren't using and it does work quite well even considering the laptop has an atheros chip - it can be intermittent at times. we also use WPA2-PSK security - stupid not to these days (there's so many networks around here with WEP or even no security!)

alas I don't think wifi signal is an issue at all. It seems to be the superhub physically not allowing wired devices to see anything on wifi and vice versa - also nio wifi device can see another wifi device (eg my sisters 7 home premium netbook) like they are 'segregated' by the superhub.

it has to be in the superhubs software, but there is no setting to change that I can see.

I only use windows 7's own firewall which is very unlikely to cause problems with homegroups.
Old 11-09-2011, 16:50   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Probably some silly configuration of the SH's broadcast domains. I've seen a few people mention this once or twice in the past but can't recall how/if they solved it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 17:58   #5
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymallory View Post
considering the laptop has an atheros chip
Superhub + atheros = Latest atheros drivers only.

Are you using them? Apparently the superhub will only work with the very latest atheros drivers for some reason.

HTH.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 21:58   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The wireless is already working fine, it has nothing to do with the drivers.
Old 11-09-2011, 22:12   #7
ileikcaek
cf.addict

Yes, true, latest drivers, or as close as I can get for this chip second to latest as the very latest ones on that atheros.cz site don't install at all. Everything is working as it should except for the issues with homegroups and that mouse without borders program.
Old 13-09-2011, 13:51   #8
ileikcaek
cf.addict

I've gone ahead and set up the D-link router in my room and everything is working perfectly now. it's definitely a big issue with the superhub if it causes problems with windows 7 features over wireless!
Old 13-09-2011, 14:02   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

The superhub causes problems with just about everything over wireless.