Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Old 30-04-2007, 15:46   #106
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
A completely false distinction....
Trespass is a key feature in many laws.

Quote:
... You can't pick up and discard analogies simply based on whether they fit your argument or not....
Is this a Forum rule?

Quote:
...If, for the sake of argument, you were daft enough to write down your online banking details and then leave the paper behind in an internet cafe, would I be justified in law if I were to empty your bank account, arguing that your carelessness amounted to a reasonable belief of implied consent?
Your analogy involves passwords which, by their very nature, cannot assume implied consent.

A better analogy would be a bowl of sweets in the internet cafe with a sign saying "Please help yourself".
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2007, 15:50   #107
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Is this a Forum rule?
Come the revolution, my friend.

Quote:
Your analogy involves passwords which, by their very nature, cannot assume implied consent.

A better analogy would be a bowl of sweets in the internet cafe with a sign saying "Please help yourself".
I don't agree. In both cases the service is effectively 'unlocked' by deliberate action of the owner. If the existence of a password in one case makes it different to the lack of a password in another, then your analogy fails because while the bowl of sweets has a sign saying 'please help yourself', an unsecured wireless network does not have any such sign.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 16:04   #108
TheNorm
Inactive

TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
...I don't agree. In both cases the service is effectively 'unlocked' by deliberate action of the owner. ...
No, you implied the bank account details were left in the cafe by mistake, not deliberately.

Quote:
...If the existence of a password in one case makes it different to the lack of a password in another, then your analogy fails because while the bowl of sweets has a sign saying 'please help yourself', an unsecured wireless network does not have any such sign.
I think we've reached the crux (or one of the cruxes) of the matter. I would say that the unsecured wireless network has such a sign by implication - after all, it doesn't take much effort to hide or secure the signal. I suppose you might say "what if the sign on the bowl of sweets went missing, does this still imply that the sweets are free?" - I hope you don't ask this, as it would be tricky to answer...
Old 30-04-2007, 16:05   #109
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all

Quote:
Indeed, but now you're talking about degrees of wrongness and the appropriate sanction to be taken against them - whereas you started out asking whether it was simply right or wrong.

You are debating a different question.
I clarified my question in post 99. I know it's illegal, but is it wrong(in your personal view, not the black and white view of the law)?

You are the one comparing different crimes to state your case, even although the crimes being compared are at completely different levels.
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 16:25   #110
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

If the wireless SSID was "OpenToAll" or "FreeBroadband" or "FreeloadersWelcome" would that change anything?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 16:34   #111
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
No, you implied the bank account details were left in the cafe by mistake, not deliberately.
I didn't imply any such thing. Not that it makes any difference. The key thing for your argument is what the person taking the service (or the cash) reasonably believed he was doing - taking something he had implicit permission to take, or stealing.

In the absence of a sign saying 'I left my bank details here deliberately' or perhaps 'My wireless network is open for all comers', what is reasonable?

Quote:
I think we've reached the crux (or one of the cruxes) of the matter. I would say that the unsecured wireless network has such a sign by implication - after all, it doesn't take much effort to hide or secure the signal. I suppose you might say "what if the sign on the bowl of sweets went missing, does this still imply that the sweets are free?" - I hope you don't ask this, as it would be tricky to answer...
Well, go on then ...

While you're thinking about the answer to that, let me contest your assertion that it's easy to secure your network. I usually offer my mother in law as an example in these sorts of situations. Her enthusiasm for technology is several decades ahead of her ability to understand how to use it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
I clarified my question in post 99. I know it's illegal, but is it wrong(in your personal view, not the black and white view of the law)?

You are the one comparing different crimes to state your case, even although the crimes being compared are at completely different levels.
The point is, I don't think levels are relevant. Something is either right or it's wrong. Sanctions taken against something that is wrong may vary according to the damage caused by doing the wrong, but that doesn't alter the essential black-or-white nature of either the Law or your original question. Right or wrong? I say wrong.

I am indeed using legal examples, because in our society there is a reasonably good correlation between what people generally consider to be right and wrong, and what the law says is right and wrong.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 16:49   #112
TheNorm
Inactive

Quote:
...In the absence of a sign saying 'I left my bank details here deliberately' or perhaps 'My wireless network is open for all comers', what is reasonable?...
How about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
If the wireless SSID was "OpenToAll" or "FreeBroadband" or "FreeloadersWelcome" would that change anything?
Quote:
... I usually offer my mother in law as an example in these sorts of situations. Her enthusiasm for technology is several decades ahead of her ability to understand how to use it properly...
"Take my mother-in-law... please (boom boom)"

Changing the password from "admin" (or whatever) to "pussycat" is a lot easier than setting up an online bank account. Can't her son-in-law help?

Quote:
...The point is, I don't think levels are relevant. Something is either right or it's wrong. Sanctions taken against something that is wrong may vary according to the damage caused by doing the wrong, but that doesn't alter the essential black-or-white nature of either the Law or your original question. Right or wrong? I say wrong....
So, using Mr Jackson's example, would you lock up children (or their parents) who "pee at the side of the road on a long car journey"?

Quote:
...I am indeed using legal examples, because in our society there is a reasonably good correlation between what people generally consider to be right and wrong, and what the law says is right and wrong.
Morality and the law are two distinct issues. I think the opening post was designed to discuss the former.
Old 30-04-2007, 17:11   #113
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack

Mind me please im new to all this wireless stuff so how would you know if someone was useing your network.my settings are wpa-personel (aes).
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 17:16   #114
zing_deleted

The points in question I believe are people accessing unsecured wireless connections. You should be ok
Old 30-04-2007, 19:12   #115
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

To answer AJ's original question - my personal view is that it is wrong.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 21:19   #116
TheNorm
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
To answer AJ's original question ...
Well, now that he has been permanently banned, I doubt if he cares a great deal.
Old 01-05-2007, 00:09   #117
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well, now that he has been permanently banned, I doubt if he cares a great deal.
AJ banned? what for? his posts always made me laugh
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 00:24   #118
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
AJ banned? what for? his posts always made me laugh
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34289773-post18.html

Is all I could find. Plus it was suggested he had been banned before. Must not say more. I'm probably breaking forum rules here and deserve an infraction
Old 01-05-2007, 00:26   #119
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Can we return to the topic please.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:47   #120
Alien
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, V+, VM 10Mb
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
Someone managed to hack into my router this morning, even though it was WEP protected, and disable the admin password AND all security! Luckily I was online when they did it and able to take immediate action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
FWIW, use WPA rather than WEP, if your Wireless NIC supports it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Use WPA - it's much stronger than WEP.
Apparently WEP's about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote