Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Secure energy monitors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion

VPN Virgin Media

Old 10-02-2017, 12:50   #1
gine26
Inactive

gine26 is an unknown quantity at this point
VPN Virgin Media

Hi All,
Its my first post. after watching Snowden, i'm a bit paranoid about web security.

i have VM 200MB broadband with the SH3 in modem mode.
that feeds my asus RT-N56U running padavan software.
i then feed into a second router which uses express VPN software on a L2TP software, and then that feeds a switch to feed a panel for internet around the house.
i run a wifi on non vpn software for mobiles, and also a wifi with vpn software.
cctv has to go on the non-vpn router, otherwise i am unable to access remotely.

question i have is....
VM V6 box will not connect to virgin servers or "on demand" when connected on the VPN network. the old tivo does. is there anything i should do to get this to work, or is it best to move to the non-vpn network?

i run apple tv, amazon box - along with pcs via the vpn software - sometimes i get the "amazon service area restriction 4601" code - even though i am on a UK server watching UK amazon - i assume this is because the IP address leaving that server is a blocked one on amazons records?

i'm a novice when it comes to computers, but have managed to get the above working - a bit.

speed via the VPN is reduced from 220mb down to 70mb, but its still plenty to stream from apple and amazon. Had to cancel netflix as they blocks all express vpn ip addresses.

does anyone have any tips on improving the above, or changes to make?

thanks in advance.
gine26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2017, 12:54   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: VPN Virgin Media

It sounds to me that Virgin is acting the same as many other streaming providers, and banning connections from VPNs so that they can see your IP and establish your location. There are rights issues involved in distributing entertainment online and geographic availability is a key consideration for the tv and film studios which produce the content.

Why do you need to access Virgin's on demand content over a VPN anyway?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 13:01   #3
gine26
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It sounds to me that Virgin is acting the same as many other streaming providers, and banning connections from VPNs so that they can see your IP and establish your location. There are rights issues involved in distributing entertainment online and geographic availability is a key consideration for the tv and film studios which produce the content.

Why do you need to access Virgin's on demand content over a VPN anyway?
thanks for the reply. just thought it would be easier to keep everything wired (except the cctv) on the one network via the vpn. i could switch both tivo and the v6 box out the vpn, but just wondered if it was the vpn causing the issue.
Old 10-02-2017, 13:05   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Just to be clear, the older TiVo has it's own broadband connection. The only time it uses the home network is for box to box streaming and the TV Anywhere app remote options. So that's why the VPN isn't an issue.

The V6 uses the home broadband for all network related activity as it doesn't have it's own broadband connection.
Old 10-02-2017, 13:59   #5
gine26
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Just to be clear, the older TiVo has it's own broadband connection. The only time it uses the home network is for box to box streaming and the TV Anywhere app remote options. So that's why the VPN isn't an issue.

The V6 uses the home broadband for all network related activity as it doesn't have it's own broadband connection.
thank you for this.
yes, both are connected via ethernet to the switch, so sounds like the vpn is the issue. i might need to put those two boxes back on the non vpn network.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

just switched the v6 and tivo box out the vpn network and both are working fine now.