Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 13-08-2015, 13:28   #1186
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Thanks for that folks, but Windows 8 was not as good as 7 from what I gather. It would be handy to know if Windows 7 people are as happy about the upgrade.

I have decided to wait for the go ahead as I don't have a USB stick or enough DVD's to download the upgrade from Microsoft site.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Oh deary me I hope I don't have any glitches when the time comes
You don't have to create a physical media to upgrade to W10. Once you have downloaded the Windows 10 tool, the correct bit version, open the installer and proceed via the Upgrade this machine now option on the What do you want to do page. After download you'll have the option to keep files & apps, files or nothing then install/upgrade.

Install guide
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/1/908...d-how-to-guide

you can always revert back if you don't like it.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2015, 14:25   #1187
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro was trouble free. Downloaded and burned the ISO file to a DVD to give me time to do a thorough back up. Overall I like it, still tweaking bits and pieces like stopping PDF files opening with EGDE etc.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 16:13   #1188
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
You don't have to create a physical media to upgrade to W10. Once you have downloaded the Windows 10 tool, the correct bit version, open the installer and proceed via the Upgrade this machine now option on the What do you want to do page. After download you'll have the option to keep files & apps, files or nothing then install/upgrade.

Install guide
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/1/908...d-how-to-guide

you can always revert back if you don't like it.
Is that correct, I could revert back to Windows 7 if I don't like it? Would that be difficult?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 16:16   #1189
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Is that correct, I could revert back to Windows 7 if I don't like it? Would that be difficult?
It shouldn't be difficult, there's a button to do it in the control panels, but I haven't seen how well it works myself.
Old 13-08-2015, 16:23   #1190
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
It shouldn't be difficult, there's a button to do it in the control panels, but I haven't seen how well it works myself.
Do you mean System Restore?
Old 13-08-2015, 16:29   #1191
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

The recovery options in W10 will give you the option to go back to your previous OS. The roll-back option is available for a month after W10 is installed. If you want to revert back to your previous OS after one month you'll have to use your restore function which could be an inbuilt restore to factory defaults or external source such as a disc.

Also if there are any issues during installation the same will happen, the installer will revert you back to where you were prior to installation of W10.
Old 13-08-2015, 16:33   #1192
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Do you mean System Restore?
Well it's a special button specially says return to windows (7/8) but it may use the system restore system.

But yes you need to use it within a month after the upgrade.
Old 13-08-2015, 16:35   #1193
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Yes it will give you the option to go back to your previous OS. The roll-back option is available for a month after W10 is installed. If you want to revert back to your previous OS after one month you'll have to use your restore function which could be an inbuilt restore to factory defaults or external source such as a disc.

Also if there are any issues during installation the same will happen, the installer will revert you back to where you were prior to installation of W10.
That's very reassuring thenry, Factory settings is another (?) But thank you for answering questions that I'm sure others on here having been wanting to ask/know, before taking the final step.

Also many thanks to those who posted their opinions of Windows 10 above.
Old 13-08-2015, 16:50   #1194
thenry
Inactive

by restore to factory defaults I mean restore to however your machine came when purchased. Or however you wish it to be via other media, a disc for example with a product key for say W7 if that is how you obtained the OS on the machine. If the OS came with the machine and its registered then you should have some form of recovery whether that be on your harddrive or on disc. You do have recovery just say you go over the month and you want to revert back?
Old 13-08-2015, 17:06   #1195
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
by restore to factory defaults I mean restore to however your machine came when purchased. Or however you wish it to be via other media, a disc for example with a product key for say W7 if that is how you obtained the OS on the machine. If the OS came with the machine and its registered then you should have some form of recovery whether that be on your harddrive or on disc. You do have recovery just say you go over the month and you want to revert back?
Mmm I'm now mulling it over.............probably sleep on it, thanks thenry.
Old 13-08-2015, 21:12   #1196
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Perfectly happy with Windows 10.It installed over Windows 7 just fine.

Then my son decided that my PC was too slow in loading and decided to install an Solid State Drive. He was able to do that and reinstall Windows 10 on the new drive while leaving me my other HD for storage and my system is much,much faster and I've had no issues.

Well apart from a constant whine from my husband.
Old 13-08-2015, 23:25   #1197
Tinky
To err is human

I finally succumbed and started the upgrade at 6.48pm it took till 10.15pm to finish. I have not had time yet to play about, but first impression it seems quite acceptable.

Thanks for that Maggy!
Old 14-08-2015, 00:27   #1198
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Glad it went good for you guys! I still have to install windows 8.1 to get the upgrade then come back to 10 again! Not looking forward to that.
Old 14-08-2015, 01:24   #1199
thenry
Inactive

Wow. Why did it take soo long Tinky? Do you know where it was held up? Have you got a poor internet connection? Installation wise its copy files, install and configure

How long did it take others to upgrade? Mine was pretty quick, no SSD here btw.
Old 14-08-2015, 09:51   #1200
Tinky
To err is human

Two problems so far, it takes an absolute age to boot up, and also I get a message in Windows live mail saying that there was a problem logging in...... but I still get my emails