Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dashcam - how to extend the 12v power lead.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Dashcam - how to extend the 12v power lead.

Old 26-07-2017, 21:19   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Dashcam - how to extend the 12v power lead.

Treated her ladyship to a nice new dashcam which we're delighted with except that the supplied 2m 12v power lead is about a foot shorter than it needs to be to site the camera where we'd like behind the rear view mirror. The connection to the camera looks like the old mini b usb type connector so could I just ditch the supplied cable and buy a longer extension lead of the right type? She already has a 12v phone charger socket which has a lead plus an additional full size female USB socket so would it be OK to plug the dashcam lead into this socket? Alternatively could I use something like this to extend the supplied cable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Extens...xtension+cable

TIA as always.

Last edited by Osem; 26-07-2017 at 21:55.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2017, 22:23   #2
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: Dashcam - how to extend the 12v power lead.

Osem what hubby did for me was bought this don't know if this will be of help. What we also bought was a cigarette thing as our USB thing is in the center cubby thing. Don't know what you call these so I thought thing would do

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-MINI-US...item2817fca62e

Last edited by weenie; 26-07-2017 at 22:27.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 22:47   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
Osem what hubby did for me was bought this don't know if this will be of help. What we also bought was a cigarette thing as our USB thing is in the center cubby thing. Don't know what you call these so I thought thing would do

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-MINI-US...item2817fca62e
Cheers weenie, I've taken a chance and ordered something just like that.
Old 27-07-2017, 11:46   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I fitted one for a mate by cutting the cable and connecting it to the interior light which was directly behind the rear view mirror. You have to be careful where you site it though as it can be classed a Zone A obstruction of the windscreen.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 13:56   #5
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I fitted one for a mate by cutting the cable and connecting it to the interior light which was directly behind the rear view mirror. You have to be careful where you site it though as it can be classed a Zone A obstruction of the windscreen.
Yup, hence our desire to hide it behind the rear view mirror. It's quite frightening how many people I see driving along with their sat navs, phones or whatever stuck right in the middle of their windscreens. These would be the same folk who turn left into a field because the sat nav told them to... Idiots!
Old 27-07-2017, 14:56   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Mine sits quite happily in the gap between the visor and the roof.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 15:10   #7
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Mine sits quite happily in the gap between the visor and the roof.
I've fitter extra large panoramic mirrors in our cars so there's plenty of space behind them to hide cameras and the cabling can be tucked out of sight behind the interior trim.
Old 27-07-2017, 20:03   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I mounted my Dashcam behind the mirror, but I can see the screen if required.

I wrap the cable around the mirror in-case the suction fails and won't set the alarm off.

I then run under the roof trim around the pillar an lift the door seal and pish it in there then near the bottom I channel it so it goes under the glovebox, (mine has trim which I put it behind, then I push the cable under the bottom of the centre console, then in to a switch box I have.

Took about 15mins to make it look tidy.
Old 27-07-2017, 21:09   #9
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I mounted my Dashcam behind the mirror, but I can see the screen if required.

I wrap the cable around the mirror in-case the suction fails and won't set the alarm off.

I then run under the roof trim around the pillar an lift the door seal and pish it in there then near the bottom I channel it so it goes under the glovebox, (mine has trim which I put it behind, then I push the cable under the bottom of the centre console, then in to a switch box I have.

Took about 15mins to make it look tidy.
I'll be doing something very similar when I get my extension lead.
Old 28-07-2017, 13:52   #10
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

That's what hubby done once the lead came in Osem.
Old 28-07-2017, 21:18   #11
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yup, hence our desire to hide it behind the rear view mirror. It's quite frightening how many people I see driving along with their sat navs, phones or whatever stuck right in the middle of their windscreens. These would be the same folk who turn left into a field because the sat nav told them to... Idiots!
My Satnav/phone is stuck to the right of the window (magnetic type) and I find it so much safer than the type that go in the centre console or centre of dash. The quick glance to the side means eyes are still on the road, rather than the other positions, which I also tried. Tend to be looking away from the road more with the other positions. Unless you try it, you won't understand it completely, but trust me when I say a phone stuck to the window at the side is much safer!

I use a navigation map app called Sygic which also has a kind of dashcam built in. It will record like a dashcam and overwrite it's video every 5 minutes unless it detects a crash and will also write gps data in to the video so it can be used as evidence of being at a location too.

Another nice feature is it has a Heads Up Display that you can use for night driving which projects (reflects) the directions, current speed and speed limits on to your windscreen, so no need to take eyes off the road at all. Works quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifFC8pJQoE
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 22:23   #12
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
My Satnav/phone is stuck to the right of the window (magnetic type) and I find it so much safer than the type that go in the centre console or centre of dash. The quick glance to the side means eyes are still on the road, rather than the other positions, which I also tried. Tend to be looking away from the road more with the other positions. Unless you try it, you won't understand it completely, but trust me when I say a phone stuck to the window at the side is much safer!

I use a navigation map app called Sygic which also has a kind of dashcam built in. It will record like a dashcam and overwrite it's video every 5 minutes unless it detects a crash and will also write gps data in to the video so it can be used as evidence of being at a location too.

Another nice feature is it has a Heads Up Display that you can use for night driving which projects (reflects) the directions, current speed and speed limits on to your windscreen, so no need to take eyes off the road at all. Works quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifFC8pJQoE
I have an ageing TomTom satnav which I use occasionally. When I do, I too have it stuck on the extreme right hand side of the windscreen close to the door pillar where it doesn't interfere with my view of the road and only requires a quick glance every so often. I like the idea of a heads up display at night so might explore that avenue as I start to use my phone to navigate more often.
Old 02-08-2017, 19:21   #13
Osem
Inactive

Got the new cable earlier and it's done the trick nicely. The dashcam is now behind the rear view mirror and the cabling all tucked away nicely.
Old 02-08-2017, 20:27   #14
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Got the new cable earlier and it's done the trick nicely. The dashcam is now behind the rear view mirror and the cabling all tucked away nicely.