Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1mb on 5 computers. How do I do it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

1mb on 5 computers. How do I do it?

Old 19-09-2005, 20:32   #1
broomsy
Inactive

broomsy is an unknown quantity at this point
1mb on 5 computers. How do I do it?

I am living at uni and here is the scenario. Ntl are gonna fit broadband in my room. I then need to get internet on two other peoples computers on the same floor as me and two other peoples on the floor upstairs. Whats the best and cheapest way of doing this?
broomsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2005, 20:35   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: 1mb on 5 computers. How do I do it?

Erm are you sharing your connection with 5 other people in 5 other addresses or are you all under one address?
Easiest way would be a wireless router with the other pcs having a wireless NIC installed. Cheapest would be routers/ switches and a lot of ethernet cable.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 20:38   #3
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze age
Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Kliro

Cheapest would be a wired router like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...095832-2701266

along with 5 differing lengths of cat-5 cable, available most places.

Best = Wireless http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...095832-2701266 but is more expensive as you need to buy adaptors for the pc's to receive signal

Wired= About £60 - but loads of wires everywhere

Wireless= About £180 in all - can be less reliable but means no wires or anything.

Also I'd suggest a higher connection between 5 pc's.
Kliro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 20:41   #4
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Thought you was limited to 3 PCs on one network, NTL t&c.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 20:41   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Moved to Computers and IT forum.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 20:57   #6
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy MM
Thought you was limited to 3 PCs on one network, NTL t&c.
What difference would it make to ntl??
Old 19-09-2005, 21:01   #7
bdav
Inactive

bdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to bdav

Does my routing and file server count as a pc?
bdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 21:04   #8
Kliro
Inactive

Well, according to the t&c's servers arent allowed at all....

presumably the service cant handle everyone ragging their pipes 24/7, even though thats the service you pay for..
Old 19-09-2005, 21:04   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Going the Wireless route is your best bet to avoid you having to put down cables all over the place, which may be against the house owners terms and conditions.

I'd say get everyone to chip in and get a wireless card in each of their PC's.
Who knows, may be some already have a wireless card in them already, eg. laptops with centrino mobile technology. Check to see.
PCI wireless cards are cheap too now so should'nt cost much.

Then you need a cable Wireless router. Make sure that it is not an ADSL router as that would not work on the NTL network.

Check out anything by Linksys, I've always found them good.
It wil be quite easy to set up too, and you wont have wires all over the house.

EDIT: One of the main things I'd observe when having 5 computers on a 1mb connection would be to be careful how much you download. If all five of you are keen downloaders, then you may use up your monthly cap, and a bigger connection package would be needed. It all depends what you use the net for really.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 21:06   #10
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Have a look at this thread, which is going on at the moment.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 21:09   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

NTL will not be able to see past the Router (GATEWAY) so I doubt that 5 PC would be a problem other the the users bandwidth.

broomsy I'ld suggest that the 5 of you put you money together and get the 3mb connection, which will be soon 10Mb by the end of the year
Old 19-09-2005, 21:17   #12
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
NTL will not be able to see past the Router (GATEWAY) so I doubt that 5 PC would be a problem other the the users bandwidth.

broomsy I'ld suggest that the 5 of you put you money together and get the 3mb connection, which will be soon 10Mb by the end of the year
Our work's wireless bt router shows the equipment running on the network and the host names etc in the configs screen.. Would not be surprised if the newer ntl modems could do a bit of that as well.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 21:24   #13
bdav
Inactive

bdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to allbdav is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to bdav

Nah - the NTL: model only sees one IP address - the router. When you request a site, the router remembers who requested it (the internal IP of the PC), requests the page from NTL, and then once ntl sends the page back to the router, it forwards it to the releavnt IP internaly.
bdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 23:33   #14
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliro
Well, according to the t&c's servers arent allowed at all....

presumably the service cant handle everyone ragging their pipes 24/7, even though thats the service you pay for..
Ah but that would only come into effect if his server was internet accessable for all we know it might just be a LAN server...

also ive never known NTL to enforce that stupid 3 pcs max clause even if they could see past the router.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 23:35   #15
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Was not having a pop i was just pointing out the T&C
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote