Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Old 27-03-2010, 15:11   #16
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one
Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatwap View Post
I don't have the PC plugged into the wireless router at all - I think what you are saying is that I should have?
If you want to be able to use the PC AND the laptop to connect to the Internet - yes. If the Laptop is a replacement for the PC - no.
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2010, 15:12   #17
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Ok, switch everything off.

Then connect in this order:

White Wall Box >> Black Modem >{Ethernet}> Wireless Router (WAN Port) >{Ethernet}> PC

Turn the black modem on, wait two minutes.
Turn the router on, wait two minutes.
Turn the PC on, you should be able to connect to the Internet with the PC.

Now connect your laptop wirelessly to the wireless router, you should now be able to connect to the Internet from your laptop.

Hopefully.....
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 15:20   #18
jatwap
Inactive

jatwap is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
Ok, switch everything off.

Then connect in this order:

White Wall Box >> Black Modem >{Ethernet}> Wireless Router (WAN Port) >{Ethernet}> PC

Turn the black modem on, wait two minutes.
Turn the router on, wait two minutes.
Turn the PC on, you should be able to connect to the Internet with the PC.

Now connect your laptop wirelessly to the wireless router, you should now be able to connect to the Internet from your laptop.

Hopefully.....
Thanks, so that would mean that I would be connecting one of the four LAN ports on the Netgear wireless router to the PC using ethernet cable?
jatwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 15:21   #19
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Correct.
Old 27-03-2010, 15:22   #20
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
thanks, so that would mean that i would be connecting one of the four lan ports on the netgear wireless router to the pc using ethernet cable?
yes
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 15:22   #21
Raistlin
Inactive

Sorry, my connection list wasn't that clear was it?

Modem >{Ethernet}> Router WAN Port

Router LAN Port >{Ethernet}> PC
Old 27-03-2010, 15:24   #22
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Quote:
Thanks, so that would mean that I would be connecting one of the four LAN ports on the Netgear wireless router to the PC using ethernet cable?
As per post #14
Old 27-03-2010, 15:58   #23
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

hi,i have the same router and it can only connect to one item wirelessly.i have the little logo's on the bottom line with an x beside two computer icons.are previous posters saying you can connect a hard wired pc to this router as well as the wireless laptop.cheers john
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 16:03   #24
jatwap
Inactive

Problem...I don't have an ethernet port on my PC to connect the ethernet cable from my netgear up to????
Old 27-03-2010, 16:07   #25
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
no, don't think I did ;-/

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone. By 'Cable router' I mean a black router which is hard wired to my white cable box on the wall and connected to my home PC.
This is not a router. It is a modem.
So lets start again.

From your pc connect the yellow lead to the ethernet port ( the one the blue lead is in now). The other end goes into a Lan port on the router.
(there are 4 grouped close together ).

Connect the blue cable from the modem to the Wan port on the router (the 5th one slightly apart from the others).

Finally start with everything turned off, power up the modem and wait a min or 2 then power up router and pc & laptop.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Quote:
Problem...I don't have an ethernet port on my PC to connect the ethernet cable from my netgear up to????
So how are you connecting your PC now?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 16:20   #26
jatwap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So lets start again.

From your pc connect the yellow lead to the ethernet port ( the one the blue lead is in now). The other end goes into a Lan port on the router.

Connect the blue cable from the modem to the Wan port on the router (the 5th one slightly apart from the others).

Finally start with everything turned off, power up the modem and wait a min or 2 then power up router and pc & laptop.
The blue cable currently connected from my black wired cable router to my PC isn't rj45 - it's USB???

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

ok, to summarise...
I have home PC and laptop
Home PC connected to black Motorola surfboard SB5101E cable modem.
White NTL box on wall is hard wired to black motorola modem via 'cable'
blue USB cable leads from motorola to usb in PC
Modem is power asyou'd expect
internet conection fine on pc via this motorola cable modem.

netgear virign wgr614 v9 wireless router is powered and connected by ethernet cable from 'internet port' on netgear to 'ethernet' port on motorola cable modem.
Ethernet cable then plugged into lan port 1 on netgear but nowhere for it to go because pc doesn't have ethernet port (it's an older machine) - should I plug it into the ethernet port on the laptop?

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So lets start again.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

So how are you connecting your PC now?
usb
Old 27-03-2010, 16:24   #27
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Ah! All is explained. (Few people still connect via USB). Someone may correct me, but I don't think you can use the USB connection and the ethernet connection on the modem at the same time. If you want to be able to connect the laptop AND the PC, you'll have to get an Ethernet card for the PC.
Old 27-03-2010, 16:44   #28
jatwap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
Ah! All is explained. (Few people still connect via USB). Someone may correct me, but I don't think you can use the USB connection and the ethernet connection on the modem at the same time. If you want to be able to connect the laptop AND the PC, you'll have to get an Ethernet card for the PC.
Or, given that I am would typically using the pc or laptop at any given time, I could just install the old motorola cable modem s/w to my laptop?
Old 27-03-2010, 16:48   #29
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Or, given that I am would typically using the pc or laptop at any given time, I could just install the old motorola cable modem s/w to my laptop?
What version of Windows are you running on the laptop? What size broadband do you have?
Old 27-03-2010, 17:31   #30
jatwap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What version of Windows are you running on the laptop? What size broadband do you have?
I'm running Vista on laptop and BB size 'L' I think. What are my options then? - I almost need someone to come out to change/update the white box on the wall or modem that I've currently got? Not sure where to go now as I'm reluctant to buy a ethernet card for such an old PC I hardly use now.