Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'Hot spot'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'Hot spot'

Old 24-08-2005, 11:37   #1
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
'Hot spot'

I need to create a 'Hot spot' for my new lap-top (centrino) that I have ordered. As you probably know I know little about PCs so in easy terms please.

I want to go back to NTL do they supply what I believe is called a wireless modem? Or do I need a router?

Help please thanks

STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2005, 11:45   #2
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: 'Hot spot'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk4u
I need to create a 'Hot spot' for my new lap-top (centrino) that I have ordered. As you probably know I know little about PCs so in easy terms please.

I want to go back to NTL do they supply what I believe is called a wireless modem? Or do I need a router?

Help please thanks

I believe that what you really want to do is to create a wireless network at home (a hotspot is a term normally used for a public network).

If you are going to use NTL, you need a wireless router - a modem/router combination will be no use to you at all (they are ADSL modems).

IIRC correctly NTL do not sell a router - but they do recommend a package.

I would advise doing a search of the forum, as I am sure there is a "Recommend a Router" thread which will give you some ideas as to what you need.

HTH
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 11:46   #3
STONEISLAND
Inactive

STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Very helpfull thanks
Old 24-08-2005, 11:48   #4
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=31794

Moving to Computers and IT forum

You will need a router- see the article here for a list of router recommendations.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 12:03   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
You will need a router- see the article here for a list of router recommendations.
The wgr 614 wireless router is what I am using, it's not bad at all. ....but I think you can now get more advanced ones..........I recently saw a netgear that has an internal areal (?sp) and automatically adjusts signal strength in the direction that the wireless card is that it's connected to

Here it is! It looks like the mutts nuts (as they say)
Quote:
RangeMax is an advanced Smart MIMO (Multi-In, Multi-Out) technology that uses seven internal antennas. RangeMax constantly surveys your home environment for physical barriers and interference and adjusts the wireless signal to compensate for these performance blockers. For example, if you carry your laptop from the family room to the bedroom, RangeMax automatically senses the change and selects from over 100 possible antenna configurations to deliver you the fastest, clearest connection! Everyone will enjoy consistently high-speed connections, everywhere in your home or business - no drop-outs, and no dead spots.
Old 24-08-2005, 12:04   #6
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
The wgr 614 wireless router is what I am using, it's not bad at all. ....but I think you can now get more advanced ones..........I recently saw a netgear that has an internal areal (?sp) and automatically adjusts signal strength in the direction that the wireless card is that it's connected to
Do you have a link? for the netgear? And that will work with NTL?
Old 24-08-2005, 12:05   #7
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk4u
Do you have a link? for the netgear? And that will work with NTL?
Link added
It should work with ntl.......just attach it to your stb or modem....but I notice that they don't have any in stock atm
Old 24-08-2005, 12:14   #8
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Looks good Thanks