Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Query regarding VMedia broadband + ADSL modem.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Query regarding VMedia broadband + ADSL modem.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:37   #1
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age
Query regarding VMedia broadband + ADSL modem.

I've got a Linksys WAG54GX2 ADSL2 Modem currently, which I'm using on my bulldog line

I'm moving to Virgin media Cable (10mb/20mb)

If I connect the virgin media modem (I assume it's a cable modem) to an ethernet port on the router, will my pc's be able to access the internet? Or do I have to get a dedicated router for Cable connections?
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2007, 01:41   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Query regarding VMedia broadband + ADSL modem.

Nope, won't work.

You'll need to get a new cable broadband router.

---------- Post added at 01:41 ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 ----------

Some recommendations in here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...info-here.html

A commonly recommended cable router at CF is the Linksys WRT54G.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:46   #3
AdamD
cf.mega poster

AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Ahhh doh!
Naw it's ok, we do have one (A...buffalo thing), but wanted to keep our adsl2 one, as it's got a much better wireless range (2 aerial mimo thing)
Old 10-06-2007, 22:19   #4
AdamD
cf.mega poster

One more question
Is it possible to link the ADSL2+ router to the Buffalo Cable/dsl router somehow?
I want to use the wireless range of the ADSL2 router, but also need the cable/dsl router for cable access.
Old 10-06-2007, 22:30   #5
gkhewitt
Inactive

gkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enough

That's fine. You can just get a wired (ie. not wireless) ethernet router and plug the Virgin cable modem into that. Then use another ethernet cable to plug the ethernet modem to one of the adsl modem's ports.

Did this fine with a Netgear DG834G and used it as an access point. Just disable the ADSL autodialler and there's probably an option in there for it to disable it's internal DHCP server too, which would be worth doing to avoid conflicts since the ethernet router would take on that role.

Good luck.
gkhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote