Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Some useful programs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

PC won’t load programs or shut down.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:53   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
PC won’t load programs or shut down.

Win 10 with latest update version.

No major problems at all until today. Shut down perfectly last night.

Appears to boot normally, desktop and all icons display correctly but if I try to open any program, browser, mail etc they stall on loading, trying to open Task Manager fails totally and times out after a couple of minutes.

Left click on start button has no effect at all. Right click on start button brings up the extended menu and I can then select Shut Down from that.

It eventually switches the screen off but the PC light itself stays on. Left it for over 30 minutes and eventually had to hold the power button in to switch it off completely.

No prior warnings off any problems before today.

Any helpful suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jim.

NB Just tried to start in Safe Mode but using the Shift>Power>Restart is just restarting in normal mode.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

I was going to delete this thread but will leave it in case it helps anyone else.

I eventually traced the problem to an update to Trend Micro that had stalled and locked up the system.

I was able to use the Trend Micro toolkit to remove the dodgy update and after a reboot it now seems to have updated correctly and all seems well ATM.

Last edited by iadom; 01-11-2017 at 13:11.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2017, 15:24   #2
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: PC won’t load programs or shut down.

Yes always good to leave these things as others might find the information useful at any time.

How did you manage to start the PC and find he problem?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 16:08   #3
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Seen an annoying bug since the update that leaves the taskbar unresponsive when awakening from sleep mode, happened a fair few times. Just CTRL+Shift+ESC into task manager and restart the windows explorer process.

I'm saying annoying bug but it could be a program conflict upon awakening.

Quote:
It eventually switches the screen off but the PC light itself stays on. Left it for over 30 minutes and eventually had to hold the power button in to switch it off completely.
Having this happen the odd time too since the update, not the issues beforehand but shutting down or sleeping, it just black screens and idles constantly.
Old 01-11-2017, 16:20   #4
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yes always good to leave these things as others might find the information useful at any time.

How did you manage to start the PC and find he problem?
Didn’t have any problems actually starting PC. Just couldn’t get anything to run, tried to open task manager to see what was clogging things up but it just wouldn’t open.

After starting it again and allowing time for it to settle down I then checked on the ‘hidden icons’ to the right of the taskbar. All fine except for the Trend Micro icon, it should have been red but was greyed out with ‘starting your protection ‘ displayed when hovering.

A quick Google on the iPad revealed a couple of answers that led me to the fix.

Last edited by iadom; 01-11-2017 at 16:47.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 19:32   #5
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Didn’t have any problems actually starting PC. Just couldn’t get anything to run, tried to open task manager to see what was clogging things up but it just wouldn’t open.

After starting it again and allowing time for it to settle down I then checked on the ‘hidden icons’ to the right of the taskbar. All fine except for the Trend Micro icon, it should have been red but was greyed out with ‘starting your protection ‘ displayed when hovering.

A quick Google on the iPad revealed a couple of answers that led me to the fix.
Thanks.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:06   #6
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Im glad ya got things working Iadom

Its frusterating isnt it??
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:41   #7
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im glad ya got things working Iadom

Its frusterating isnt it??
I'll answer it for them .. it is yea
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote