Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 12-10-2014, 12:43   #91
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

so how many have tried windows 10 on here working fine here
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2014, 12:53   #92
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
I decided to wait as it isn't meant to be used on a main computer, I also read it sends a lot of info back to MS.

It is exactly what I want though and Will upgraded to it when the beta arrives for sure.
Old 12-10-2014, 13:04   #93
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I decided to wait as it isn't meant to be used on a main computer, I also read it sends a lot of info back to MS.

It is exactly what I want though and Will upgraded to it when the beta arrives for sure.
I running on a dual boot no problems with it at all so far features I like best so far is metro resizable windows, task view, choose between start menu and start screen, the add new desktops mode cant wait to tries updated builds with more features
Old 12-10-2014, 13:23   #94
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I installed it last night but there was no start button - does it need to be activated or something? I then wiped it and went back to 8.1.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 13:25   #95
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I installed it last night but there was no start button - does it need to be activated or something? I then wiped it and went back to 8.1.
should automatically be activated mine was don't know why you didn't get start menu for did you download iso file and burn to dvd

only thing i can think of is you might of downloaded a currupt iso could try again and use a vm or dual boot so you dont lose anything
Old 13-10-2014, 09:43   #96
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Installed it on my laptop on a spare SSD, and within 10 minutes I ripped it off.

Hopefully when it's released there will be a way to turn off the tiles in the start menu and choose to not use the app's for stuff.

I don't need the tiles, or apps and I don't want them.

To bad for DX12 you are going to need to use Windows 10.
Old 13-10-2014, 09:56   #97
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Installed it on my laptop on a spare SSD, and within 10 minutes I ripped it off.

Hopefully when it's released there will be a way to turn off the tiles in the start menu and choose to not use the app's for stuff.

To bad for DX12 you are going to need to use Windows 10.
I'm sure there'll be plenty of registry hacks to turn off the frippery as on previous releases.
Old 13-10-2014, 12:34   #98
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Have it on my laptop to test, the jury is out untill i have used it a week or so, however unless its free at release i will not upgrade to it. I will never buy another Microsoft OS after the debacle with Windows 8 and would sooner use a hacked version out of pure spite.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I'm sure there'll be plenty of registry hacks to turn off the frippery as on previous releases.
Unless Microsoft remove the ability like they have done before when they removed the ability to have the start button after a reg hack.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 12:36   #99
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I am running it in a virtual machine at the moment,
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 12:46   #100
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post

Even in Win 8.1 you can choose not to use the full screen apps for pretty much everything i.e. use the desktop version of IE and Windows Media Player etc

As for the start menu tiles you can already turn these off http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...hands-on-video
Old 14-10-2014, 00:30   #101
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Has anyone turned on the new drop shadows yet?

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...ew-drop-shadow
Old 14-10-2014, 00:47   #102
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Woo... a blurrier version of the old drop shadow...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 18:25   #103
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Microsoft promises a new Windows 10 preview build will be coming soon

Yesterday, we learned that the Windows Insider Program has had over one million registrants in just under two weeks. On top of that, over 200,000 pieces of feedback were given to Microsoft from participants of the program.

Microsoft revealed this information in an official blog post yesterday, and also revealed that a new build of Windows 10 would be coming soon too. Here is what Microsoft's Joe Belfiore said: "Going forward, he’ll [Gabriel Aul] be the one blogging about the Windows Insider Program and each new build we release to Windows Insiders. A new build should be coming soon too!"

Belfiore was referring to Gabriel Aul, who runs the company's Data and Fundamentals Team. His job is to spend time going through all the telemetry data and feedback received from the Insider Program. With that being said, prepare yourself for another Windows 10 Technical Preview build, which is right around the corner. No word on exactly what the next build will feature. Perhaps the next build will feature improvements based on user feedback.

Better yet, this new build will be obtainable within the Windows 10 Technical Preview. This means you can head over to PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Preview Builds, and snag yourself the latest build when it becomes available for download. How cool is that?

As we have mentioned before, the Windows Insider Program allows Microsoft to release regular updates to consumers with ease, thanks to feedback generated by participants of the program. This allows participants to do some 'real-world' testing on a new feature or improvement prior to it being rolled out to the general public. Windows 10 is set to become the first operating system from Microsoft to be radically different for consumers and IT professionals.

We're going to see an operating system that becomes better a lot faster than before.
Old 14-10-2014, 20:39   #104
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Microsoft promises a new Windows 10 preview build will be coming soon

Yesterday, we learned that the Windows Insider Program has had over one million registrants in just under two weeks. On top of that, over 200,000 pieces of feedback were given to Microsoft from participants of the program.

Microsoft revealed this information in an official blog post yesterday, and also revealed that a new build of Windows 10 would be coming soon too. Here is what Microsoft's Joe Belfiore said: "Going forward, he’ll [Gabriel Aul] be the one blogging about the Windows Insider Program and each new build we release to Windows Insiders. A new build should be coming soon too!"

Belfiore was referring to Gabriel Aul, who runs the company's Data and Fundamentals Team. His job is to spend time going through all the telemetry data and feedback received from the Insider Program. With that being said, prepare yourself for another Windows 10 Technical Preview build, which is right around the corner. No word on exactly what the next build will feature. Perhaps the next build will feature improvements based on user feedback.

Better yet, this new build will be obtainable within the Windows 10 Technical Preview. This means you can head over to PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Preview Builds, and snag yourself the latest build when it becomes available for download. How cool is that?

As we have mentioned before, the Windows Insider Program allows Microsoft to release regular updates to consumers with ease, thanks to feedback generated by participants of the program. This allows participants to do some 'real-world' testing on a new feature or improvement prior to it being rolled out to the general public. Windows 10 is set to become the first operating system from Microsoft to be radically different for consumers and IT professionals.

We're going to see an operating system that becomes better a lot faster than before.
Been using it on my laptop and so far i like it. I will not install it on my main machine until it gets near to the release. As stated i will not pay for it so they better give it free to those of use who feel we were ripped off with windows 8 other wise i will just use a hacked version.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 19:40   #105
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Windows 10 Will Be Free

Windows 10 Will Be Free for Personal Users‏

http://news.filehippo.com/2014/10/wi...sers%e2%80%8f/
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote