Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 13-01-2016, 07:14   #1546
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Just tried putting the password in manually and amazon is happy with that. Also tried a couple of other sites and they are happy to accept pasted passwords.

Is there a way with favorites to stop some of the icons before the name coming out enormous?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2016, 08:16   #1547
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
Same here, I love Windows 10. Computer boots quicker than Windows 7 and seems to run better all round. No issues at all since I installed it.
And here, much better than 8.1, no wish to return, 10 is great
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 21:42   #1548
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Well until the last few days I have had no real problems with Win 10 but I do have one now that seems to have been around for a while in 8.1 as well.

Possibly caused by a recent Win 10 update but a few days ago my start button stopped working, no access to menu tiles or any other programmes. I also notice that the 'New notifications' icon is showing white on the taskbar bar but will not open or respond either. The only way I can shut down is by right clicking the start button.

A bit of research suggests quite an involved process for clearing this problem but other posts said to just leave it and see if it cleared.

I did this and after restarting a couple of times it did clear and was fine for three days but the problem has returned today and doesn't seem to want to go away.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:48   #1549
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Luckily for me if the start button breaks, a reset always cures it, I think I have only seen this twice.

Are you on the normal version and never had a start menu replacement added or are you on an insider build?
Old 07-02-2016, 22:58   #1550
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Just normal build, nothing altered or added by me, only events in last week or so is auto updates for MS.

I have been asked on the MS support forums for current build but when I right click on the start menu and control panel it brings up the old Win 7 control panel?????

Found my version by entering winver in run dialogue box.

1511 build 10586.71
Old 07-02-2016, 23:07   #1551
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

My system has been nagging me to schedule a restart. I had restarted several times and it didn't clear it. Did a check and scheduled and it did a big install just like the first time with W10.

I'm now on Version 1511 OS Build 10586.71. Things are appearing differently to before. Fonts etc have a different appearance. Surely the whole point about using specific fonts is that the appearance remains the same. It also said something about being on Windows Insider Preview. Didn't realize I was. Is there a way of checking?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 00:00   #1552
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

My Apple Boot Camp install of Windows 10 is broken

All was fine until a recent Windows update, after which Windows 10 got stuck in an "attempting repair" loop.

I wiped the partition tonight and reinstalled it from scratch, using a more recent ISO too.

Everything was going great at first. Windows 10 installed and updated OK, I could restart OK... But then I installed the Apple Windows Support software (the Boot Camp drivers etc.), and once again got stuck in an "attempting repair" loop when restarting.

I ended up killing it, again.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:28   #1553
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Do what I do when W10 goes a bit weird.

1. Press the Windows key+X at same time, choose Command Prompt (Admin)
2. Type sfc /scannow and press enter. Wait for it to go through, can take some time to do
3. If it finds anything, it will attempt to fix it, and when finished reboot the computer and should be back working as normal. Had to do it twice myself, and it does help.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 14:52   #1554
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Sorted for now, at first I was right clicking on the start button, selecting 'shut down or sign out' then selecting 'shut down' before rebooting with the power button on my PC.

I found that instead of selecting 'shut down' I selected 'Restart'. It took a while to get going but the problem has now cleared ( for now).
Old 11-03-2016, 10:03   #1555
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

Here is a little tip I found the oher day:-

Click the Windows button bottom left

Click the Power Button until it displays the options ie: Shut Down Restart etc.

Now hold down the Shift Key and then click Restart

It should take you to Win 10 menu where you can do different tasks such as Repair, Install, Restore a Sytem Image etc.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 15:13   #1556
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I am still on Windows 7. Afraid to take chances .
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 16:29   #1557
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
You probably said the same thing with other Windows versions, even my parents installed 10 without my help. lol

It is only free until June sometime.
Old 11-03-2016, 17:04   #1558
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You probably said the same thing with other Windows versions, even my parents installed 10 without my help. lol

It is only free until June sometime.
29th of July
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 00:03   #1559
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I think I'll stay on Windows 7 too. Windows 10 doesn't appeal for multiple reasons:
http://www.windowscentral.com/14-rea...ade-windows-10

Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit is looking nice though. Think I'm going to dual-boot that with Windows 7 for a while and see what happens.

Mint+Chrome+VLC+Skype+Steam+Spotify+... +developer tools.

Windows 10 vs Linux | Linux Mint 17.2 Impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLcpOQl_LoU

https://linuxmint.com/rel_rosa_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

Can always buy a copy of Windows 10 in a few years if necessary..
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 00:32   #1560
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post

Can always buy a copy of Windows 10 in a few years if necessary..
Or do what I've done.

I had 2 spare laptop drives both now have the free upgrade on them, one for my laptop, the other for my desktop PC.

When W7 support ends I'll just clone them and wait for a few days while they update. Alternatively I'll just throw them in once every 3 months to update.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote