Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2017, 13:44   #2671
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, 2018 has been mentioned before, although I had hoped that it would come this autumn.

---------- Post added at 07:33 ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 ----------

Well, if Amazon do win the rights, look forward to getting your football in UHD, and having the choice of different packages at different prices so everyone can participate in the viewing (if they like watching the game, that is).
Not a hope in hell and you heard it first from me.
Old 21-09-2017, 13:58   #2672
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

we heard these rumours before that come to nothing one thing is for certain sky will bid more next bid and prices will go up yet again
Old 21-09-2017, 14:14   #2673
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Not a hope in hell and you heard it first from me.
I'm still looking forward to hearing your reasons for saying that, Den. I think Amazon is the most likely source of threat to Sky.

Although I expect Discovery also to make a bid, my feeling is it won't be hogh enough to thwart Sky, although I wouldn't rule it out.

I have no such qualms about Amazon. They have bottomless pockets, they are developing their own TV channels section of the site and they have expressed interest on more than one occasion recently.

I don't understand what you perceive the barrier to be, Den.
Old 21-09-2017, 14:16   #2674
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
we heard these rumours before that come to nothing one thing is for certain sky will bid more next bid and prices will go up yet again
Dave you win first , second and third prize today and OB well its the wooden spoon as usual for you.
Old 21-09-2017, 14:19   #2675
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
And of course, you haven't considered the fact that Amazon have more money than they know what to do with. As I said to Den, where is your logical argument to back up your standard 'no change will ever happen anywhere' response?

I am truthfully all ears but I have a suspicion I will be disappointed.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

Quote:
Dave you win first , second and third prize today and OB well its the wooden spoon as usual for you.
Negative kneejerk reactions seem to prevail here...
Old 21-09-2017, 15:07   #2676
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm still looking forward to hearing your reasons for saying that, Den. I think Amazon is the most likely source of threat to Sky.

Although I expect Discovery also to make a bid, my feeling is it won't be hogh enough to thwart Sky, although I wouldn't rule it out.

I have no such qualms about Amazon. They have bottomless pockets, they are developing their own TV channels section of the site and they have expressed interest on more than one occasion recently.

I don't understand what you perceive the barrier to be, Den.
If we are buying into your story of Amazon taking all the Premier League rights off Sky why havent they muscled in on the NFL in their home country ? (The exception being the Thursday night NFL Network Game)
Old 21-09-2017, 15:17   #2677
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
If we are buying into your story of Amazon taking all the Premier League rights off Sky why havent they muscled in on the NFL in their home country ? (The exception being the Thursday night NFL Network Game)
No idea, but Amazon have made no secret of their interest in the Premier League.
Old 21-09-2017, 15:21   #2678
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
And of course, you haven't considered the fact that Amazon have more money than they know what to do with. As I said to Den, where is your logical argument to back up your standard 'no change will ever happen anywhere' response?

I am truthfully all ears but I have a suspicion I will be disappointed.
So that is the basis of your weak argument in that Amazon have more money?.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Quote:
Negative kneejerk reactions seem to prevail here...
You would be top of the class for that on this forum OB.

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Quote:
No idea, but Amazon have made no secret of their interest in the Premier League.
Interest is one thing but real nuts and bolts reality is another.
Old 21-09-2017, 15:26   #2679
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So that is the basis of your weak argument in that Amazon have more money?.
Unlike your posts, mine are supported by articles which provide some facts to demonstrate the point.

I thought your argument was based on the cost. You have always said Sky would always be prepared to trump any other bid (which Sky themselves have denied) and that is why I mentioned it.

What other reason would you have for your much weaker and unsubstantiated argument that Sky would win over Amazon? With all due respect, if Amazon went for it, Sky wouldn't stand a chance.

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Quote:

Interest is one thing but real nuts and bolts reality is another.
I've not seen any nuts or bolts from you, Den.
Old 21-09-2017, 16:26   #2680
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

So by that logic Amazon should trump Fox for all US Sports shouldn't they , but wait they have some tennis rights coming and one NFL game a week.

If Amazon does bid for EPL which I may add I'm not saying they won't they certainly won't be going for the lions share.
Old 21-09-2017, 16:52   #2681
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Thursday Night NFL games were the only package Amazon could get their hands on, I think the other packages are still in multi year contracts.
With regard to Premier League rights NBC hold those in Amazon's home territory of the USA until the end of the 2021-2022 season, also the Premier League are reluctant to give up on their policy of selling rights to individual countries, so if Amazon are to bid for the Premier League my thoughts are that it would be for just one or two packages, maybe the mooted new Saturday night slot would be in their sights for the European territories they operate in?

I'd also hazard a guess that as Amazon acquires more sports rights they cease to be free for Amazon Prime customers and a separate sports sub will be required a la Amazon Music (if you want a decent music service rather than the free one), Amazon Fresh, Audible and any of their other services that require more than a Prime subscription.

Last edited by buckeye; 21-09-2017 at 17:00.
Old 21-09-2017, 17:20   #2682
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Thursday Night NFL games were the only package Amazon could get their hands on, I think the other packages are still in multi year contracts.
With regard to Premier League rights NBC hold those in Amazon's home territory of the USA until the end of the 2021-2022 season, also the Premier League are reluctant to give up on their policy of selling rights to individual countries, so if Amazon are to bid for the Premier League my thoughts are that it would be for just one or two packages, maybe the mooted new Saturday night slot would be in their sights for the European territories they operate in?

I'd also hazard a guess that as Amazon acquires more sports rights they cease to be free for Amazon Prime customers and a separate sports sub will be required a la Amazon Music (if you want a decent music service rather than the free one), Amazon Fresh, Audible and any of their other services that require more than a Prime subscription.
Yes, broadly, I agree with this. And clearly, Amazon cannot bid for rights if they are not yet up for grabs.

There is no doubt in my mind that Amazon will charge separately for any sports channels it adds to its system, just as you have to pay extra for Discovery, etc on Amazon now. They won't do it for free, that's for sure, the rights are far too costly for that to be a proposition.

You may well be right that Amazon could go for the smaller packages on this next round to test the waters, with a view to tackling Sky the next time around. BT should be getting worried, I would have thought.

By the way:

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...en-atp-finals/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 21-09-2017 at 18:08.
Old 21-09-2017, 21:28   #2683
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
That's right OB, SD isn't allowed in my house either. I'm sure the TV works even harder to try and make the SD picture look decent haha.

I'm trying to teach the Mrs to watch UHD from Netflix and Amazon where possible lol. I'll get there one day
Don’t worry with virgin that’s the only uhd to get
Old 21-09-2017, 22:48   #2684
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Notts TV has been removed from Sky, is/was this on VM?

Another sign that Local TV has been a failure.
Old 21-09-2017, 23:36   #2685
Phil-ntl
Body of a God (Buddha)!

Services: VVIP 500mb aka Ultimate Oomph (who the hell thought that name up??) 4X V6 Samsung UE55KU6470 4K TV
Phil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Notts TV has been removed from Sky, is/was this on VM?

Another sign that Local TV has been a failure.

Still on VM and Freeview. Does actually seem quite popular (in Nottingham, at least) Not quite sure where this fits in with "Coming Soon to Virgin TV" though?

Phil
Closed Thread