Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 20-03-2015, 13:04   #301
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
yes Cortana is very basic does work too good at moment compaired to usa one but it get better next build I'm sure

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

•Open powershell as administrator
•Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
•Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

for people wanting to try new build and get bug fix
Indeed it should. I have a wireless headset so will enjoy talking to my Computer when it does work properly, if only as it would confuse the hell out of the missus! :p

Also, that's quite the bug, but hey, thanks for the fix, will remember to apply that at home.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2015, 14:26   #302
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Well the latest update has killed my test machine. Does not work properly with AMD cards, the Start menu shuts the machine down if you click on it, the icons are crap and make it look all 2d. Will leave it a couple of months and see if they can get there act together before i redownload it to try. With the state of it at the moment i would not have it even if its free.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 14:29   #303
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

And that's why I assume it was only released on the 'fast ring' i.e. the one where Microsoft already warned releases on that ring may end up unstable.
Old 20-03-2015, 14:33   #304
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Well the latest update has killed my test machine. Does not work properly with AMD cards, the Start menu shuts the machine down if you click on it, the icons are crap and make it look all 2d. Will leave it a couple of months and see if they can get there act together before i redownload it to try. With the state of it at the moment i would not have it even if its free.
should be better for you when it on slow ring sirus mate but remember it get better as each release yes icons are crap this build they should be changed by next one

ps works fine here just needed to do the bug fix for mail app ect
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 00:16   #305
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I shouldn't have updated my win 10 to latest, Virtualbox is even more messed up now, but at least I'm not alone

Windows 10 Build 10041 - Bridged Network Can't See Ethernet

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66682

I've spent so much time messing around with that I've no idea if there are any other new improvments or problems!

forgot to say, on the plus side, I found out that EaseUS who do some good free partitioning software, also do some free backup software which is Win 10 compatable, so you can backup to an image, and then restore using a boot disc.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 22:12   #306
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Gabriel Aul @GabeAul
· 33m 33 minutes ago
We will be pushing 10041 out to the Slow ring today as well. Will begin deploying within the hour.

means iso's will be released too

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

ISO's now available

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...so-update-1503
Old 25-03-2015, 12:50   #307
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Should be installing Windows 10 again tomorrow night (I won't tonight as I am busy).

I did have it installed to a VHD and had the VHD available as a boot option on the menu, but I'd been having trouble booting to this.

So, I tried to install Windows 10 to an actual partition. I have an SSD and a couple of HDDs in my PC. The SSD doesn't really have enough space to install Windows 8 and Windows 10 on, so I was going to install it to a new partition on one of the HDDs. It wouldn't install as none of my HDDs are apparently GPT partitioned, and they all have data on I cannot lose.

Ended up backing up one on to an external HDD, repartitioned it then copied the stuff I actually needed on that drive back to it, On the plus side, it freed a lot of space.

Haven't tried to install Windows 10 yet, but I plan to tomorrow.

Why am I not trying it on a VM? I have, and have been impressed. I want to see how it performs on a physical machine now, with drivers and everything to contend with.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 14:26   #308
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Should be installing Windows 10 again tomorrow night (I won't tonight as I am busy).

I did have it installed to a VHD and had the VHD available as a boot option on the menu, but I'd been having trouble booting to this.

So, I tried to install Windows 10 to an actual partition. I have an SSD and a couple of HDDs in my PC. The SSD doesn't really have enough space to install Windows 8 and Windows 10 on, so I was going to install it to a new partition on one of the HDDs. It wouldn't install as none of my HDDs are apparently GPT partitioned, and they all have data on I cannot lose.

Ended up backing up one on to an external HDD, repartitioned it then copied the stuff I actually needed on that drive back to it, On the plus side, it freed a lot of space.

Haven't tried to install Windows 10 yet, but I plan to tomorrow.

Why am I not trying it on a VM? I have, and have been impressed. I want to see how it performs on a physical machine now, with drivers and everything to contend with.
I don't think you'll be disappointed!
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:57   #309
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Windows 10 Launching This Summer in 190 Countries and 111 Languages

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...111-languages/

Microsoft says pirated versions of Windows will also get a free upgrade to Windows 10

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsof...medium=twitter
It seems they are backtracking now on the pirated versions or are they? Its all a bit confusing lol

“We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsof...way-or-another
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:13   #310
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

They seem to be saying it will upgrade but still be an "illegal" copy.

So you will go from an illegal windows 8 to an illegal windows 10. Which may be of benefit to microsoft - they may sneak in more piracy monitoring systems in, who knows
Old 28-03-2015, 16:56   #311
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

At the moment I`ve got a desktop with a genuine windows 8.1 on which updates but I`ve got a laptop with a pirated win7 on which also updates ok so microsoft believe that my win7 is genuine otherwise they wouldnt allow updates, so when I update to win 10, will that be the same. Totally confused
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 18:46   #312
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
At the moment I`ve got a desktop with a genuine windows 8.1 on which updates but I`ve got a laptop with a pirated win7 on which also updates ok so microsoft believe that my win7 is genuine otherwise they wouldnt allow updates, so when I update to win 10, will that be the same. Totally confused
it will be if product key genuine you get genuine windows 10 if not you wont get a genuine copy
Old 28-03-2015, 23:39   #313
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

using free vmware player as virtualbox is still broken
just installed and created an Antix VM

installing vmware tools is a bit more of a pain than the virtualbox equivalent, but so far, so good.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 00:27   #314
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Microsoft's new browser Spartan is now available with the latest release of Windows 10.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...u-need-to-know
Old 31-03-2015, 02:52   #315
Dave42
cf.mega poster

all done here Cortana is working bit better too