Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to increase speed over WiFi?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

How to increase speed over WiFi?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:12   #1
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point
How to increase speed over WiFi?

Hi all. I suspect this may have been answered in other threads but can't find anything at the moment...

I am on Vivid 350. When I connect my laptop directly via Ethernet I am consistently getting 350+ speeds (which is good). Obviously, over WiFi it's less than that (which is fine).

My signal strength through the house is pretty good. I get full signal almost everywhere. However, the speed drops dramatically the further away from the router I am.

Is there anything I can do to boost the download speed? Would putting the SH3 in modem mode and getting a separate router help with that? Or should I just live with it? To be fair, it's not really causing any issues.... I'm just curious as to how I could boost my download speed even though the signal strength is pretty good.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: How to increase speed over WiFi?

You need to find out first if the device your using is capable of faster speeds
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:27   #3
bolgerp
cf.member

I am using an Phone 7 and a Windows Surface Book both of which are capable (I think) of handling the 350M speeds. However, I regularly only get speeds of between 20 and 100 M on those devices EXCEPT when I am in the room next to the SH3. Then I am getting easily 200M+ so the devices are capable. Obviously, there's some deterioration when I move further away form the Superhub.
Old 05-09-2017, 19:27   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

if you are looking to achieve those high speeds on a regular basis (i.e. you use wifi on that side of those frequently) then could invest in a second router and use it as an access point (which is what I have downstairs) or get some wifi extenders/homeplugs
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:34   #5
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

Suppose that in some distant part of your house, e.g. a loft or a basement, you have lousy WiFi. You may be able to establish a wireless local area network (WLAN) by installing an access point and running an ethernet cable to it from your router. I have reused an old router as an access point, but I was being a cheapskate.

Obviously, the cable run is tricky in some houses.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 14:46   #6
bolgerp
cf.member

So, I did a bit of sleuthing and downloaded some software to see what the channel congestion/usage in the area around my house is. Discovered either channel 1 or 11 was being used for the 2.4 frequency by pretty much all of my neighbours. I have changed my channel on the router to be fixed at 6. This has dramatically increased the speed on the 2.4 channel for me everywhere in the house. I am getting between 70 and 90 Meg (depending on the time of day) on the 1st floor and even getting around 40 to 60 on the third floor. My router is on the ground floor in a corner of the living room. Not ideal, I know but without some fiddly/unsightly cabling, I can't really move it. I have left the 5GHz on auto channel. Will monitor over the next while to see how it pans out.
Old 06-09-2017, 14:53   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If you're not already implementing it you might like to look at channel bonding, particularly on 5GHz, where there's spectral space to bond up to 4 channels. As I understand it the SH3 can bond at least 2 channels.

Naturally the receiveing equipment needs to be able to support this.
Old 06-09-2017, 15:06   #8
bolgerp
cf.member

Cheers heero.... I have done bonding on both frequencies. The SH3 only allows bonding of two channels. I have no idea how to check if my equipment can support it though.