Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless network question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless network question

Old 18-02-2006, 00:49   #1
smith2001
Inactive

smith2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless network question

hi all, just a question over a wireless network i have

i have a netgear ME 102, its a 802.11b one and i have 2 USB stick 11mbps wireless pen's for my PC and my house mates. now i am having problems with speed and the IP distribution.

firstly the speed, can the signal strengh matter to the speed i receive off the ntl modem i have plugged into it?
its normally at 50% signal strength and 100% Link quality. and i am not getting my share of 130kb/sec ntl can do with 1mb just around 80kb/sec max.

the second point is, i have at the moment only got my PC connected to the wireless router which in turn is plugged into the ntl modem. i have been assigned the ntl IP that the modem has at current a 82.xxx.xxx.xxx, i am abit confused at this as i thought the router would assign me something in its range, of 192.168.100.2 etc

now i am wondering if this will change once another user (no 1 has a pc currently except me so cannot test it until sunday) connects to the wireless router and thus cannot assign us both the ntl IP on the same network. however i am none the wiser, has anyone got experience with this?

thanks all for reading my post

cheers
smith2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2006, 01:10   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless network question

The ME102 is not a router, it is an access point. It won't assign ip addresses out to you, it's simply a wireless link - basically think of it as replacing the cable between you and the ntl CM.

No one else will be able to connect to the internet via it as you have the external ip on your machine.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 11:05   #3
smith2001
Inactive

this is the write up from their site

NETGEAR's ME102 802.11b Wireless Access Point gives your wireless mobile workforce continuous, high-speed 11 Mbps access to corporate network resources, e-mail and the Internet. It helps you quickly set up a new wireless network office or extend your existing Ethernet network to remote locations in your building–without the time or expense of Ethernet cabling. Attached to a Cable/DSL Router, it lets all users on your wireless network share broadband Internet access. The ME102 supports roaming within an office, and includes 40/128-bit WEP encryption to ensure privacy.

that states, multiple users can use a dsl connection attached to it.

also when you plug into it via the USB manager, you can enabled an option called "DHCP server" though its not given me an IP in the routers range 192.168.100.1 etc, when i had it connected to the Voyager 205 it gave me the IPs in the range i set, 192.168.1.2 etc
Old 18-02-2006, 15:18   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well that's quite interesting, because I have been using one for over three years and I'm not aware of any dhcp facility in it - it's not listed on the SNMP config utility, and not mentioned anywhere in the manual (attached).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 15:41   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have a belkin router (NON wirless) that assigns the IP address. when I got my lappy, I bought the Belkin Wireless Access Point/Range Extender., which plugs directly into the router, which then assigns the WAP a IP address.

When I set up the wi-fi on my lappy it was assigned a IP address by the router and not the WAP.

Like Paul I thought only the router would assign a IP.
Old 18-02-2006, 15:43   #6
r1ch
Inactive

r1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith2001
Attached to a Cable/DSL Router, it lets all users on your wireless network share broadband Internet access
That's the important bit - it requires an external router. Maybe the modem for your previous service had a router built in?
r1ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 00:43   #7
smith2001
Inactive

crap it did you know the Voyager 205 was a router and ADSL modem

oh well house m8s will have to chip in to get 1