Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 04-06-2012, 20:20   #1606
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 04-06-2012, 22:06   #1607
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
My 16Mb Sky connection the spikes are the usual Anytime+ downloads and general browsing speedtest etc. It is turning out to be the most stable internet connection I have ever had. Once Sky launch the rumoured low ping gaming trials later in the summer my minimum latency should drop. But as it is its fantastic for gaming.

Funny how your graph hints at similar 3 hour spikes to mine, yet mines on fibre, it must be something on Sky's network, either that or the Sky plus box updates every 3 hours or so. just merely an observation

Is your Sky plus box wired to your router like mine ?

pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07   #1608
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

In the last few weeks my super hub has been rebooting at random points and giving me an unidentified network, so I decided to put the thing in modem mode and connect my Belkin router. The range and strength of wifi has more than doubled. The connection has also been much more consistent.

The two spikes are ping tests.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 14:44   #1609
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

nice

thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 15:39   #1610
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Looks like they never bothered to upgrade the infrastructure when they upgraded your area to 60Mb thenry
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:52   #1611
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

this is when i signed up before 3 months

now after area updates and note this VM connection is not even in use ( i use an adsl at the moment)
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Its just A SHAME

PS
Just to have in mind for future ... anyone knows if a business or a leased line can be cheaper than the 110 pounds are going to VM to go in that service?
if yes i will just cancel my direct debit and they can take me to court
But will wait till a Mod at VM forums reply to see what they will say about the connection first
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:07   #1612
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

it seems as though VM are moving everyone about throughout the double process but capacity isn't being added early and instead later down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi View Post
Looks like they never bothered to upgrade the infrastructure when they upgraded your area to 60Mb thenry
yup. as mentioned above VM getting everyone onto the correct tier, securing the network etc. etc. is probably the cause of this jump. may be this is actual good management. VM monitoring seeing as they have to move a lot of customers over then adding capacity accordingly ?
Old 06-06-2012, 22:32   #1613
babis3g
Inactive

babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

it seems is the Superhub

today had day off and stayed to reset this Superhub few times as wont synchronise (reset it 4-5 times)
after couple of resets look the difference (after 9pm)
set it to modem mode ... FIRST time jitter 0 at pingtest.net ...wowowowo....(at peak time)

look the difference
i requested a new Superhub

Mod edit: as per our T&Cs name calling of CPE equipment is not allowed
Old 06-06-2012, 23:07   #1614
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
double check the IP addy. untick the boxes within services or modem mode the thing and link your own router then set up a new monitor, delete your older ones. you said you have a Linksys?
Sorry for delay in replying, had grandaughter staying for a few days - it's amazing how many times a 15 month-old can consecutively climb the stairs!

Anyway tried your suggestions yesterday, still no luck then read that you have to disable port forwarding for it to work. Did that, reset the hub and all seemed ok. Re-enabled port forwarding and it still worked but stopped working some time around 1:30am, so disabled port forwarding again did another reboot and the monitor has been working okay since 11:00am.
Bofrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 23:11   #1615
thenry
Inactive

congrats on becoming a grandaddy

why do you need port fowarding on?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:11   #1616
babis3g
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
it seems is the Superhub

today had day off and stayed to reset this Superhub few times as wont synchronise (reset it 4-5 times)
after couple of resets look the difference (after 9pm)
set it to modem mode ... FIRST time jitter 0 at pingtest.net ...wowowowo....(at peak time)

look the difference
i requested a new Superhub
looks like dream(first time jitter 0 )
Old 07-06-2012, 01:53   #1617
boroboi
cf.geek

boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

A rare sight on a VM connection I just ordered a Talk Talk ADSL Line for my XBOX, free connection, 6 months half price £17pm, can only expect about 3 or 4 meg due to distance, will see how it compares, 10 day cooling off so got nothing to lose really.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12   #1618
thenry
Inactive

didnt you consider their cheap fibre product?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:24   #1619
babis3g
Inactive

dont forget if you can set up a monitor to compare adsl from TT with mine

Ps
is not that cheap is £10 on top for 40/2 and £15 for 80/20
but is good as BT's infinity had it before at old premisses
Old 07-06-2012, 02:39   #1620
boroboi
cf.geek

I only wish there was a Fibre provider in my area... the activated the town next to me even though it has 4 times less potential customers... insane, so im stuck with Virgin or a DSL provider. Activation isn't until the 26th so ill set up a monitor beside my Virgin connection on that date