Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wirless in-security

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wirless in-security

Old 17-04-2005, 22:16   #1
j2tts
Inactive

j2tts is an unknown quantity at this point
Wirless in-security

Ok surfing on me laptop about 3 weeks ago via my own securied wireless network and I thought I would just do a show available networks and to my surprise up popped one called club189. Totally un-secure just bearly registering at a connection of 2 mps. Sooooo I connected to it just out of curiosity, did nothing could'nt view any networked pc's so went back to me own. Since then My laptops been periodically logging onto it. Soooooo I thought I'd go to 192.168.1.1 and see if I could access their router, o wow, yes Im in a Voyager 2100 adsl wireless router. Looked at the DHCP table to see if I could send them a message. I can see a PC called margareta directly connected, but could'nt figure out how to let them know that they are insecure.
Point is without knocking on all me neighbours doors how do I get in touch with these people to secure it. They are even still using the default password for the router . They obviously knew enough to setup it up with a ssd but not to secure it.
What shall I do ?
Secure it for them ?
Is there any network command/message i can send them ?
j2tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2005, 22:21   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wirless in-security

Not sure about this but..... If you can find out the IP address of the machine could you use netsend to send them a message?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 22:25   #3
j2tts
Inactive

Right

Netsend ? Is that a windows program or a dos command?

I tried dos with a netsend/? but came back with nothing

??
Old 17-04-2005, 22:27   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

like I said, really don't know much about it.

Seem to remember (from the deepest recesses of my mind) that it might be a way of sending messages across a network.....

Anybody else?
Old 17-04-2005, 22:57   #5
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

On your computer try Start / Find / Computer and then type in the IP address of margareta. If C is shared then drop a suitable text file into c:\windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp - that should grab their attention
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 00:14   #6
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
On your computer try Start / Find / Computer and then type in the IP address of margareta. If C is shared then drop a suitable text file into c:\windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp - that should grab their attention
If that doesnt shock them into action, nothing will..

I have a neighbour here who has an unsecured network to.
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 00:28   #7
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

i ended up postin a letter through about 16 neighbours doors cos i couldnt work out which was the network... (unitl i install wififofum on my iPAQ now i know exactly whos it is
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 01:06   #8
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
Nice idea. Or browse to one of the open shares and dump a load of random sh*te in there.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 05:43   #9
Robert Atkins
Permanently Banned

Services: Three Cable modems: 3x3MB
Robert Atkins is just really niceRobert Atkins is just really niceRobert Atkins is just really niceRobert Atkins is just really niceRobert Atkins is just really niceRobert Atkins is just really nice

by rotating the laptop and monitoring the signal stength, I could spot the insecure house but I leave in a non-dense area, so I knocked at the correct door
Robert Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 07:19   #10
OinkyBoinky
Inactive

Services: NTL 2048kbps CM Basic NTL TV
OinkyBoinky has a spectacular aura about themOinkyBoinky has a spectacular aura about themOinkyBoinky has a spectacular aura about themOinkyBoinky has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via MSN to OinkyBoinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2tts
Right

Netsend ? Is that a windows program or a dos command?

I tried dos with a netsend/? but came back with nothing

??
It's Net Send. you need the space between the words. e.g. Net Send * Hello margareta, nice network
OinkyBoinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 23:27   #11
j2tts
Inactive

HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Ok never got round to sending a network message as margarita was offline last night, Sooooooooo I renamed there wireless ssd to OPENTOALL, did the trick. All looks secure now.

They will never know

Never mind

Dib Dib Dob Dob

Thanx guys
Old 18-04-2005, 23:38   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Hmmm.....

Not being funny but that might not have been a smart move.

By changing it to what you did you have essentially done three things:

1. You have advertised the fact that it is "Open To All" to anyone else that was able to see it

2. You have potentially caused problems for the owner. If their device was looking for a certain SSID and then couldn't find it it would have been forced to try to log into the new one. IF they were able to do this, depending on how things were set up they may have had an absolute devil of a time getting things reconfigured.

3. I'm also not sure of the legalities of changing the settings in the way you did. I'm sure it will never come to that but it just might cause a problem if they ever decide to persue it.....

Glad it's sorted though. Another security hole fixed and the WWW becomes a slightly safer place. Nice one