Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network Connections error 623

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network Connections error 623

Old 08-05-2005, 13:19   #1
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Network Connections error 623

Yesterday I was talking someone through setting up Internet Connection Sharing. So I could tell them exactly what menus to expect, I thought I'd do it on my own PC at the same time, then click 'Cancel' on the last screen. Pah! About 5 screens through the Network Setup Wizard, the 'Cancel' button vanished, and I had to go through with it. Not to worry, I thought, I'll just undo it afterwards.

I have tried to do so, but every now and then when browsing, a dialogue box pops up which says:
Code:
Network Connections
Cannot load dialog.
Error 623: The system could not find the phone book entry for this connection.
OK
As long as I keep clicking OK, everything else seems to work fine. (Why is there no "No, it's not OK" button? )

I've searched for this error on the Microsoft support site, but all I can find suggests that my VPN connection isn't set up properly. I don't use VPNs. (I have tried to set one up then delete it, but this hasn't helped).

Any ideas? I'm on XP Professional SP2, by the way.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2005, 13:36   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Network Connections error 623

What connection did you specify to be shared while you were running through the wizzard? Normally that error would come up if you tell it to use a dial up connection
Do you have a standard modem installed or have you created a "fake" connection to use while testing the wizzard?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 18:58   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I don't recall telling it to share any particular connection. My normal connection is wireless to my broadband router. I also have a couple of dial-up entries defined.

I've just noticed whether or not the error appears depends on what website I'm browsing. It doesn't do it at all on CF, but does on DigitalSpy.
Old 09-05-2005, 20:57   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Further clues: It also doesn't do it if I've configured a proxy.

Any more ideas please?
Old 09-05-2005, 21:17   #5
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Any chance of deleting any normal dial up connections from the computer, reboot and see if it still does it? I'm getting similar issues with XP trying to use my Bluetooth connection for sites instead of XP so it could well be a XP issue with connections. I'm thinking of clean installing XP again soon so I'll see if it goes away.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 22:02   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

You may have hit on something there Paul.

I deleted both dial-up connections, and the error went away. Didn't even need to reboot. I then recreated one of them, and now, instead of the error, the dial-up 'connect' dialogue keeps popping up.

I think I can live without any dial-up entries. Doing another clean install really doesn't appeal.
Old 09-05-2005, 22:16   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

If you're using IE make sure that you have it set to "Never dial a connection".

Tools > Internet Options > Connections
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

I'm using Firefox.

Though IE also causes the error, and that is set to "never dial a cnnection"