Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Routers and Firewalls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Routers and Firewalls

Old 04-05-2005, 10:31   #1
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Routers and Firewalls

Do you need a firewall built into a router ?
I am about to change my router and am looking at either getting the Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 or an alternative that has a Firewall built into it.
However does the firewall take up more time and is it really needed if you have ZoneAlarm running on all your connected machines ?

Thanks for your views.

Halcyon.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2005, 10:46   #2
homealone

Re: Routers and Firewalls

The BEFSR41 uses NAT - which is effectively a hardware firewall.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

This type of firewall only sniffs inbound packets, though, a software solution such as Zonealarm handles inbound & outbound traffic.

Personally I use both
Old 04-05-2005, 10:49   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Oh right thats cool.
Thanks Gaz.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:50   #4
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

My wireless router has a built in firewall but I also use ZoneAlarm mainly so I can restrict access to applications.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59   #5
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

So what does the Belkin routers firewall & NAT do then?

Is that in & out or just "in" protection?
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:02   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Whilst Im here, one of the new computers will bel ocated about 15 metres away so ideally I'd like a 20 metre ethernet cable.
I can only seem to find short ones or bulk 300 metre packs.
Anyone know best place for a 20 metre ethernet cable that connects PC to router ?

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:03   #7
zing_deleted

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...at=194&brand=2

20m £4.64 this might not be the best price its just a local place near me I use on occassion
Old 04-05-2005, 12:14   #8
Halcyon
Hello !

Thanks. I'l check that out. Seems like a good price.

Old 04-05-2005, 17:52   #9
Seb
Inactive

Seb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Whilst Im here, one of the new computers will bel ocated about 15 metres away so ideally I'd like a 20 metre ethernet cable.
I can only seem to find short ones or bulk 300 metre packs.
Anyone know best place for a 20 metre ethernet cable that connects PC to router ?

Thanks.
I have always popped down to my local Maplin store to get long ethernet cables. They will cut any length cable for you, however your do have to put the RJ45 connectors on yourself (which can be fun at times )
Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 17:57   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Why not try wireless it cost more but no messy cables about
Old 04-05-2005, 19:22   #11
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

www.ardelectronic.com has that cable at a few quid too.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:45   #12
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
My word, theres a site I havnt seen in a long time. That place is a 10 min walk for me and I still prefer to order online due to there god awful cs.

Seeing as were talking cable thou, they couldnt mess that up............. could they ?