Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL cable 250 connect to netgear router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL cable 250 connect to netgear router

Old 29-04-2005, 09:27   #1
lestatsa
Inactive

lestatsa is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL cable 250 connect to netgear router

I have a NTL cable modem 250 which I want to connect to my wireless netgear WAG511 Router to share the internet connection accross my wireless network. Does anyone know the configuration for this.

Thanks,
lestatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2005, 09:52   #2
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: NTL cable 250 connect to netgear router

There are a lot of posts on this sort of subject already, but basically switch off your PC and modem, plug modem into WAN socket of router, plug PC into port 1 of router (or use the Windoze wireless zero config utility), power up the modem, wait, power up the router, wait, power up the PC. Should all work.

Then secure the wireless network.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

EDIT - A WAG511 is a wireless PCMICA card - so I think you have the wrong product number.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 10:19   #3
lestatsa
Inactive

lestatsa is an unknown quantity at this point

The router is a WRG511 i believe, I thought I would need to configure the router - what setting do I need to put in the router, do I need to set ip, gateway, dns
lestatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 10:32   #4
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

For these things you need to read the step by step instructions with the router. The factory settings mean it should plug and play out of the box and if you have had a PC connected to your NTL CM that has been configured properly initially then that will negotiate a new IP address from the Router.

You will probably want to change the password to the router, the network name etc, but a CM is a lot easier to set up with a router than setting up a combined ADSL modem/router which needs UIDs and Passwords - not necessary for NTL.

IP / Gateway / DNS should be set to auto all will be happy.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote