Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : Season 5

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who : Season 5

Old 01-06-2010, 16:19   #271
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Doctor Who : Season 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
So far each of the doctors has brought a little something special to the role.

William Hartnell - Old Professor, with a darker side
Patrick Troughton - Clown but knows more than he reveals.
Jon Pertwee - Action Doctor, not afraid of using venusian martial arts.
Tom Baker - Brought an alien touch to the doctor, more mystery
Peter Davidson - Lighter side of the doctor, Not the strongest doctor, but did well
Colin Baker - Dark side of the doctor
Sylvester McCoy - Circus clown doctor
Paul McGann - Doctor who follows his heart
Christopher Ecclestone - The broken doctor who has seen and lost too much, finding love and losing it.
David Tennant - Doctor healing his heart, lonely but determined not to fail
Matt Smith - meh.

Oh, and for the 2 Doctor Who films with Peter Cushing - He was obviously replacing hartnell so see hartnell for a reference.

I can't see what Matt Smith has brought to the role that none of the others have. He seems to have tried to amalgamate several doctors, and missed.
I wouldn't say McCoy was a 'Clown' some of his stories were very mysterious and hinted at there being more to the Doctors story than we knew, i.e. hinting that he was actually Merlin at some point in his life.

Cushing was the Doctor but not really replacing Hartnell.

All they really took from the two stories was the Dalek story lines, he wasn't from Gallifrey and was just an old guy that created a time machine.

I still think Smith has been fab.

Did anyone spot the 5th Doctor reference from the episode at the weekend?

Also the 1st part of the PC adventure game is out this weekend I think.
Old 01-06-2010, 16:29   #272
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I wouldn't say McCoy was a 'Clown' some of his stories were very mysterious and hinted at there being more to the Doctors story than we knew, i.e. hinting that he was actually Merlin at some point in his life.
Indeed, I suspect they had a lot planned for McCoy that they didn't have time to implement in the series.

In fact, I was listening to the Script Editor who was in charge when McCoy as Doctor, and he said he liked the Mysterious aspect of Dr. Who, and planned to (in the series after it was axed) go back to the roots, and give strong hints that the good Dr. was a lot more than a mere timelord, without actually being specific as to why he was so special.

There are rumours that he planned a lot of things for that series that RTD then went on to explore in the New series.

Quote:
All they really took from the two stories was the Dalek story lines, he wasn't from Gallifrey and was just an old guy that created a time machine.
It's worth remembering that not only was Cushing's Dr who actually human (I believe there is a reference to that in the script), but that his last name is actually "Who".
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37   #273
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Indeed, I suspect they had a lot planned for McCoy that they didn't have time to implement in the series.

In fact, I was listening to the Script Editor who was in charge when McCoy as Doctor, and he said he liked the Mysterious aspect of Dr. Who, and planned to (in the series after it was axed) go back to the roots, and give strong hints that the good Dr. was a lot more than a mere timelord, without actually being specific as to why he was so special.
If you want to know how Andrew Cartmel planned to develop the Doctor's backstory, get your hands on the New Adventures novels (published by Virgin, although they are now all out of print). The 'Cartmel Masterplan' was being put in place during the last two seasons of original Who and would have unfolded further, especially in McCoy's fourth season, which never happened as the Beeb effectively cancelled Who by simply failing to commission the next series.

The culmination of the Cartmel Masterplan is found in Marc Platt's novel Lungbarrow, a steaming crock of turds that ably demonstrates just how far they planned to shove the show up its own anus. If the BBC itself hadn't killed off Doctor Who in 1989, then its own production team would have done it all by itself in a further two years at the most.

You can actually read Lungbarrow as an e-book on the BBC's own Doctor Who website. However, note that a number of its most central aspects have been explicitly contradicted since the show was recommissioned in 2005, so (despite what some of the real anoraks on forums like Gallifrey Base will tell you), there is no way that any sane person could consider its contents to reveal anything about the Doctor's background. And it's as badly written as anything else Platt ever did for the show as well. I wouldn't waste your time on it, actually. I speak as one who did.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 15:56   #274
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Cushing was the Doctor but not really replacing Hartnell.

I still think Smith has been fab.

Did anyone spot the 5th Doctor reference from the episode at the weekend?

Also the 1st part of the PC adventure game is out this weekend I think.
Spoiler: 
Celery perchance?
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15   #275
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Spoiler: 
Celery perchance?
Thats the one

The first part of the Adventure game has been released 3 days early

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/theadventuregames

PC only just now but the Mac version will be out on the 15th June.

Can't wait to get home and try it.
Old 05-06-2010, 22:28   #276
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Says Vincent van Gogh in his best Glaswegian: That accent of yours: Are you from Holland like me?
Old 05-06-2010, 22:51   #277
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

I think I finally worked out what is missing from Matt Smith's portrayal of Dr Who. But I don't think anything can be done about it. Ever since the first Doctor there has been a sense of older and wiser than his years, a maturity if you will about the Doctor, his past, his origins etc. Matt doesn't have that, he's 26, he is lacking the life experience to bring that sense of age to the role. He comes across as a sixth former trying to play Patrick Troughton's portrayal of the doctor and reading from an autocue. We are 10 episodes in and there is nothing that is definitively 'Matt Smith' about the role.

There is something to consider though. TimeLords only had 12 regenerations because of the Decree of Rassilon. Now that Gallifrey has fallen, the Eye of Harmony with it (Hence the Tardis needed to refuel at the rift in Cardiff) does the Decree of Rassilon still stand? If not, then there may be many more regenerations and the next Doctor may be post-pubescent.
Old 06-06-2010, 00:10   #278
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Well, as the regeneration limit is just a plot device, if the writers want or need to cast it aside it wouldn't be hard for them to do so. They're hardly likely to call an end to the series when the Doctor runs out of regenerations. I'd assume they would do as you suggested, & say that the limit no longer applies due to the destruction of Gallifrey & the Time Lords.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31   #279
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I think I finally worked out what is missing from Matt Smith's portrayal of Dr Who. But I don't think anything can be done about it. Ever since the first Doctor there has been a sense of older and wiser than his years, a maturity if you will about the Doctor, his past, his origins etc. Matt doesn't have that, he's 26, he is lacking the life experience to bring that sense of age to the role. He comes across as a sixth former trying to play Patrick Troughton's portrayal of the doctor and reading from an autocue. We are 10 episodes in and there is nothing that is definitively 'Matt Smith' about the role.
I wouldn't say that. I think he has brought a very energetic and unhinged quality to the role, he certainly is slightly more 'crazy' than previous ones. I am really enjoying him as the doctor and I think this season has been the best of the new ones (I never watched the old ones). Some of that is down to the scripts however and the direction which fells more more polished and tight than I am used to from British shows.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:20   #280
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

'Vincent & The Doctor' was the best episode in this current series IMHO, even allowing for the invisible, overgrown parrot. It had the emotion that I think has been missing in the series so far. Tony Curran was excellent as Vincent.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 13:59   #281
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I wouldn't say that. I think he has brought a very energetic and unhinged quality to the role, he certainly is slightly more 'crazy' than previous ones. I am really enjoying him as the doctor and I think this season has been the best of the new ones (I never watched the old ones). Some of that is down to the scripts however and the direction which fells more more polished and tight than I am used to from British shows.
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
Peter Davidson
Colin Baker
Sylvester Mccoy
Paul McGann
Old 07-06-2010, 10:17   #282
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
'Vincent & The Doctor' was the best episode in this current series IMHO, even allowing for the invisible, overgrown parrot. It had the emotion that I think has been missing in the series so far. Tony Curran was excellent as Vincent.
I have to agree. For me the scene where they take Vincent to the present time was awesome.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:39   #283
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I have now decided on my judgement of Matt Smith as the doctor and I'm afraid I don't like him.

He's just not believable in the role.

This series has been a huge disappointment and I'm not sure what they can do to improve it as the problem is the actor playing the main character.

They should bite the bullet and get rid of him. I don't know what direction Moffat was trying to take the series but he has blown it.

Saturday was yet another episode I stopped watching.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:10   #284
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I have now decided on my judgement of Matt Smith as the doctor and I'm afraid I don't like him.

He's just not believable in the role.

This series has been a huge disappointment and I'm not sure what they can do to improve it as the problem is the actor playing the main character.

They should bite the bullet and get rid of him. I don't know what direction Moffat was trying to take the series but he has blown it.

Saturday was yet another episode I stopped watching.
Well they have unfortunately ruined it for yourself, which is a shame if your a fan.

However I certainly don't think Moffat has blown the series, it is been well received by critics and most fans. I certainly this this season has been great and Matt Smith is a good doctor.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 19:34   #285
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So far he is average - nothing special IMO. I havent switched any eps off, but one or two havent really done much for me - certainly not gripped me like some previous seasons. Im hoping the finale will be an improvement. I think Amy is a good companion so far. Im not a fan of the silly Tardis console(s), current or previous.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote