Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin wireless stuff: Any good?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin wireless stuff: Any good?

Old 26-04-2005, 08:47   #1
McGraw
Inactive

McGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about them
Belkin wireless stuff: Any good?

I'm de-wiring my Dad's ADSL/Laptop/Desktop rig.

We were looking at the 54g Belkin Wireless stuff.

It can be bought online for £100 inc vat. This is the router/modem, a PCI and a PCMCIA card.

What does anyone think?

Cheers.
McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2005, 08:53   #2
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Re: Belkin wireless stuff: Any good?

I've used exactly the same kit as you're buying for the last 12 months or so with no problems at all, I was getting full signal strength in my previous house 2 floors up through doors and walls so I can't really fault it.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 09:01   #3
andyl

Services: NTL 2MB Broadband, x2 phones, digi TV.

I've got Belkin cards with a Buffalo Air Station - no probs.
Old 26-04-2005, 09:21   #4
gkhewitt
Inactive

gkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enoughgkhewitt will become famous soon enough

I've used belkin cards for ages with no problems whatsoever, great support under XP.

I've also used a Belkin 802.11b access point with no trouble before either.
gkhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 09:41   #5
McGraw
Inactive

McGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about them

Cheers gents.
McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 11:07   #6
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Bear in mind...

That the logging on them is naff, you cannot see your signal strengths as you can on some other routers.

Also if you have a 2.4ghz wireless phone it can interfere with if too close.

I have the latest Belkin ADSL wireless router & a bridge (we call it "the Alien"). Have had to reboot the router a few times, wireless is slower than wired, no signal strength problems.

There does seem to be a few differences in what features work in both units, the router has an anhanced G thingy option yet the bridge does not?

The router gets hot (but most do) & the cat likes to sit on it.

There are no utilities to access your router logs to save them etc.

Although there does appear to be an alternative firmware that has been written for Belkin routers.

I have lots of problems using P2p through mine.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 11:21   #7
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

I've been very impressed with Edimax kit. Well built, easy to use and at a good price. Scan sometimes have bundles in their daily offers.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...ufacturers=257
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 13:03   #8
Simcut
Inactive

Services: 120mbit Virgin Media Cable Sky Digital Package (Sky+)
Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them

I've got Belkin WIRED and I love it, Belkin are very very good, I would avoid US Robotics like the plague, I had a nightmare with their wireless products that I bought.....
Simcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 14:16   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I set up mother-in-law for wireless with Belkin kit the other week. No complaints at all.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 14:22   #10
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Not even from her? Like, it doesn't match the curtains etc
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 14:29   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
Not even from her? Like, it doesn't match the curtains etc
We had a dicey few seconds when we found the patch cable was bright yellow, but she warmed to the whole thing when I told her she wouldn't need to use the cable under normal circumstances.

Mainly I earned many son-in-law brownie points because she didn't know how to set it up herself and she didn't fancy calling Belkin's customer hotline. And now she can sit anywhere in the house while browsing her Cliff Richard forums. She is very happy.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 21:55   #12
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I have had no problems with my Belkin stuff.
Old 26-04-2005, 21:59   #13
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I had(Well still have) an ADSL belkin wireless router/modem.

Never had a problem with it really.

I had to put it in my spare parts drawer when I went back to ntl or I'd still be using it.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote