Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Terrorist Attack Near Parliament, London

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Terrorist Attack Near Parliament, London

Old 22-03-2017, 21:01   #31
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Terrorist Attack Near Parliament, London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
And the FN SLR used to upset IRA snipers who thought that ducking behind a brick wall was a safe zone...
<snigger>

Evolution in action...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2017, 21:08   #32
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Favourite reaction today is how normal the rest of London is acting. Rush hour was horrible so there was no change at all.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 21:19   #33
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I suppose it depends on the gun there using, If its a HK then its 9mm which does not kill as easily as 5.56. 9mm is a handgun round where as 5.56 is used in assault rifles.
9mm is used in rifles as well, even though its technically a handgun round.
I can shoot 9mm at my local (25m) range, but not 5.56 as that's considered too powerful, have to go to the 50/100m range for that.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 21:30   #34
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Channel 4 have made a big mistake. They named the attacker, led with it on the news, only for it turn out the person they named is still in prison!! They've retracted the report and pulled the repeat of the program but they've messed up big.
Old 22-03-2017, 21:30   #35
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
9mm is used in rifles as well, even though its technically a handgun round.
I can shoot 9mm at my local (25m) range, but not 5.56 as that's considered too powerful, have to go to the 50/100m range for that.
I have fired 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62. 7.62 was the most fun and made a hell of an impact at the other end but you had a brush on the shoulder if you fired a lot.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 21:49   #36
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
AFAIK Police are trained to aim at the body mass. They don't decide whether to kill or wound; they shoot in order to stop a lethal threat to themselves and/or the public. Putting three bullets into someone will stop them. At that point the job's done. Whether they then live or die is, frankly, a secondary issue.
Is quite correct, all the armed officers I ever spoke to laughed at shoot to kill/wound. It's react to the threat and stop it.

I realise I'm probably going to get flack for this, but after watching the sobering events I found myself asking myself 'Just how do we deal with the terrorist issue?'

Military intervention isn't working

The intelligence services can only do so much as has just been shown by todays events. One day credible intelligence reports regarding laptops etc. The next the painful scenes from today.

It seems to be an unwinnable scenario with innocent people on both sides being killed, maimed or injured.

I honestly don't know
Old 22-03-2017, 21:52   #37
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Channel 4 have made a big mistake. They named the attacker, led with it on the news, only for it turn out the person they named is still in prison!! They've retracted the report and pulled the repeat of the program but they've messed up big.
The Telegraph also seem to have pulled some of their earlier pictures from the site. Some of those armed officers clearly weren't Police and stuck out like a sore thumb. You can guess the rest
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 22:06   #38
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
The Telegraph also seem to have pulled some of their earlier pictures from the site. Some of those armed officers clearly weren't Police and stuck out like a sore thumb. You can guess the rest
Actually, you might have to fill the rest in for me What were they? Army? Is that significant?
Old 22-03-2017, 22:22   #39
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Actually, you might have to fill the rest in for me What were they? Army? Is that significant?
Special forces who like to keep themselves to themselves maybe?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 22:25   #40
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Special forces who like to keep themselves to themselves maybe?
Still don't get it. Why would The Telegraph need to pull their reports? Wouldn't special forces be expected?
Old 22-03-2017, 22:27   #41
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I know it was a tad cryptic sorry.

Full face and upper torso picture of an officer in irregular garb holding a specific type of carbine rifle not generally issued to nor procured by any of the Home Office forces. You've therefore a choice of Marines, MOD plod, SAS or SBS. Take yer pick.

Not unusual they're there but not difficult to spot by the trained eye thus you wouldn't want to be publishing such photos on a national media site.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 22:28   #42
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I literally said a page ago that the non censored image would lead to false ID's. I expected that. Less so from an organized news team though. Absolute face roll moment.

As for the telegraph thing. There were evidently multiple military responders on site. Likely SAS.
Old 22-03-2017, 22:30   #43
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Still don't get it. Why would The Telegraph need to pull their reports? Wouldn't special forces be expected?
Well I didn't see what they've pulled. Maybe they were identifiable.

Update:

Thanks to Uncle Peter for confirming.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 22:32   #44
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I realise I'm probably going to get flack for this, but after watching the sobering events I found myself asking myself 'Just how do we deal with the terrorist issue?'

Military intervention isn't working

The intelligence services can only do so much as has just been shown by todays events. One day credible intelligence reports regarding laptops etc. The next the painful scenes from today.

It seems to be an unwinnable scenario with innocent people on both sides being killed, maimed or injured.

I honestly don't know
I don't think you can do something to 'solve' it. Only do things to try and reduce it and in fairness we seem to be doing that quite well. In the end what can anyone reasonably do against one man in a car with a knife? Not much. But then we can't do much about someone who wakes up to murder without terrorist intent either.

We let terrorism have an undue influence on us I think. Obviously, we need to continue to guard against it and it's not a normal crime but we can't revamp the entire way we live to address this specific threat. Statistically it's a minor cause of the death in the UK.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
I know it was a tad cryptic sorry.

Full face and upper torso picture of an officer in irregular garb holding a specific type of carbine rifle not generally issued to nor procured by any of the Home Office forces. You've therefore a choice of Marines, MOD plod, SAS or SBS. Take yer pick.

Not unusual they're there but not difficult to spot by the trained eye thus you wouldn't want to be publishing such photos on a national media site.
Oh! Got ya. Cheers.
Old 22-03-2017, 22:33   #45
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Respect for MP Tobias Ellwood, who ran to help the fatally wounded PC, despite being told to run the other way.

I guess his military training kicked in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39359319