Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Could Quest be coming to Freesat?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Could Quest be coming to Freesat?

Old 30-01-2017, 17:46   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Could Quest be coming to Freesat?

It looks like Sky are going to lose the Discovery channels following a carriage fee dispute.

The following preparations have been made for when the current contract ends on 31/1/17:

4461 11.836 H 27.5 5/6 DVB-S OPSK now showing a caption saying "Unfortunately Sky is not able to bring you this channel as the broadcaster has withdrawn it from the Sky platform".

The EPG info says "Programme is no longer available".

Apparently, Sky pays Discovery to keep Quest off Freesat by encrypting it. Could this news now mean that it will go FTA and join Freesat to extend its reach?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2017, 18:21   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Could Quest be coming to Freesat?

Does this really need a separate thread as you posted the same thing in the existing Discovery thread?
Old 30-01-2017, 19:16   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I believe that it does as this is a forum dedicated to Freesat/Freeview users.

Non Sky Pay TV viewers (including VM where the thread that you refer to is situated) won't be affected and the addition of Quest will be very useful for Freesat viewers.
Old 30-01-2017, 22:02   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

What is Quest?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 22:13   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Does this really need a separate thread as you posted the same thing in the existing Discovery thread?
I would say no until it is announced that Quest is actually moving to freesat.

Just my POV though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 22:59   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quest is currently using a Pan-European beam (Astra 2E). If it were to go unencrypted there may be rights issues involved.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 23:28   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What is Quest?
It's a channel on Freeview that's owned by Discovery and shows a back catalogue of their previous pay TV material.

Sky have thus far kept it off Freesat by paying Discovery to encrypt it (AFAIK they do this with Dave too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I would say no until it is announced that Quest is actually moving to freesat.

Just my POV though.
I think it's ok to speculate on the possible outcomes of the current Sky V Discovery carriage dispute and how the outcome may benefit Freesat viewers.

I have a suspicion that UKTV weren't satisfied with their carriage renewal offer and only agreed to the price if Sky let them put Yesterday, Drama and Really onto Freesat and Home onto Freeview.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Quest is currently using a Pan-European beam (Astra 2E). If it were to go unencrypted there may be rights issues involved.
I didn't realise that it wasn't on a spot beam transponder.

I wonder if rights issues would be ok since Discovery make most (all?) of their own programming??

Also, they have been testing two channels off the EPG. These are currently showing time shifts of Discovery Shed and Discovery Home & Health.

I'm not sure if these are spot beam transponders, if they are maybe the purpose of these is to accommodate Quest and another channel??
Old 31-01-2017, 00:08   #8
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I miss Freesat 516" Keltic Country , I hope this can be resolved, Please keep me informed if anyone knows if it will be back,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 09:41   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Keep It Country say that they will be back shortly after their technical changes are sorted out.

Let's hope that this isn't an excuse for something more ominous as channels in difficulty (in fact all businesses) normally try to keep everything looking fine until the last possible moment.
Old 31-01-2017, 09:45   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's a channel on Freeview that's owned by Discovery and shows a back catalogue of their previous pay TV material.

Sky have thus far kept it off Freesat by paying Discovery to encrypt it (AFAIK they do this with Dave too).

I think it's ok to speculate on the possible outcomes of the current Sky V Discovery carriage dispute and how the outcome may benefit Freesat viewers.

I have a suspicion that UKTV weren't satisfied with their carriage renewal offer and only agreed to the price if Sky let them put Yesterday, Drama and Really onto Freesat and Home onto Freeview.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

I didn't realise that it wasn't on a spot beam transponder.

I wonder if rights issues would be ok since Discovery make most (all?) of their own programming??

Also, they have been testing two channels off the EPG. These are currently showing time shifts of Discovery Shed and Discovery Home & Health.

I'm not sure if these are spot beam transponders, if they are maybe the purpose of these is to accommodate Quest and another channel??
Decent spot beam capacity is still relatively novel to the UK. Certainly it is recent enough that many broadcasters, last time they negotiated carriage, didn't have it as an option, and were more or less compelled to use a pan-European beam with Sky's encryption even if they intended to be FTV.

As more and more old contracts come up for renewal we should, hopefully, slowly see more channels going fully FTA.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 11:34   #11
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Astra 2G is the spot beam, & even this has overflow into the near continent.

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Quote:
Keep It Country say that they will be back shortly after their technical changes are sorted out.

Let's hope that this isn't an excuse for something more ominous as channels in difficulty (in fact all businesses) normally try to keep everything looking fine until the last possible moment.
KIC were operating without a backup provider, probably due to the initial setup costs. Channels change providers all the time but it is never usually noticed at the customers end as the backup is used during changeover.
Old 31-01-2017, 12:51   #12
nashville
nashville

nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Thanks for the update on Keep it country, Hope it is sorted soon
Old 31-01-2017, 18:44   #13
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Thanks for the update on Keep it country, Hope it is sorted soon
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...55&postcount=4
Old 01-02-2017, 02:19   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Well, a deal has been settled upon which appears to involve Sky paying the lower carriage costs that they wanted.

In essence, I still think that there is a reasonable chance that Quest could join Freesat, if not more eg DMAX, Discovery Shed etc.

Finally, as part of their contingency plans, Sky threw some money at PBS America to make some documentary programmes, which Sky, Freesat and Virgin Media customers will all be able to enjoy, so Freesat viewers have definitely got something out of this

Last edited by Stephen; 01-02-2017 at 10:26.
Old 01-02-2017, 14:47   #15
nashville
nashville

Never heard of the Quest Station