Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 18-08-2015, 20:58   #61
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
It's always nice to have BT G.fast 330/30-50 and VM 300/15 to be bonding together to get around 630/45-65
Given your desperation to save a few quid on Virgin Media services as you happily tolerate crap speeds from Plusnet in return for a big discount it's fair to say you aren't the right person to look to for beta testing of BT's G.fast products.

G.fast is a way from production yet, sadly. Longer term Openreach have bugger all to compete with Virgin Media as they made the wrong bet. They hoped they could spend the bare minimum on FTTC and collect the plaudits for delivering 'fibre optic broadband' and it's looking increasingly like they were wrong. Virgin Media can deliver 600Mb without breaking a sweat, Openreach can't deliver 500Mb to me without further investment in deeper fibre.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2015, 01:59   #62
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Its BS anyway! The VM email states clearly..

The Telegraph need a kicking or whoever has fed incorrect information!
Problem is that these days it's the WiFi itself and not the WAN connection that's the bottleneck. When you are sharing the WiFi then other users will affect your connection even if there's dedicated bandwidth upstream of the router.

---------- Post added at 00:59 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Virgin Media can deliver 600Mb without breaking a sweat, Openreach can't deliver 500Mb to me without further investment in deeper fibre.
Last I heard VM had no plans to deliver anything to you, has that changed?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 02:11   #63
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post

That's really funny, I still haven't received my free automatic upgrade from the last time around, that slipped nearly 9 months anyway...
Old 19-08-2015, 08:49   #64
MarshMallowMan
Inactive

MarshMallowMan is on a distinguished roadMarshMallowMan is on a distinguished road

We can see now, why Virgin put their prices up twice this year... :P

Question for a non-cable-tech, do you need DOCSIS 3.1 in your area before you can get 300 up from 152 or is this speed capable from the current infrastructure?

Was very surprised they are upgrading so early but might have been doing lots of work in the background. Lat time it was months before the actual roll-out stared. Don't get me wrong though, all for it!!

On a side note: I am definitely a Virgin Fanboy
MarshMallowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 09:28   #65
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
That's really funny, I still haven't received my free automatic upgrade from the last time around, that slipped nearly 9 months anyway...
Are you sure about that? What are you on and what are you supposed to be on?

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshMallowMan View Post
We can see now, why Virgin put their prices up twice this year... :P

Question for a non-cable-tech, do you need DOCSIS 3.1 in your area before you can get 300 up from 152 or is this speed capable from the current infrastructure?

Was very surprised they are upgrading so early but might have been doing lots of work in the background. Lat time it was months before the actual roll-out stared. Don't get me wrong though, all for it!!

On a side note: I am definitely a Virgin Fanboy
You don't need DOCSIS3.1, but you will likely need a new superhub.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 09:38   #66
OhReally

[QUOTE=Kushan;35794296]Are you sure about that? What are you on and what are you supposed to be on?[COLOR="Silver"]

I am on 60, which was supposed to be increased to 100, my area has been done - services checker says 152 is available - but it has never been lifted.
Old 19-08-2015, 09:42   #67
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

[QUOTE=OhReally;35794301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Are you sure about that? What are you on and what are you supposed to be on?[COLOR="Silver"]

I am on 60, which was supposed to be increased to 100, my area has been done - services checker says 152 is available - but it has never been lifted.
Really? What does your modem configuration screen say? I'm surprised there's still areas left.
Old 19-08-2015, 09:56   #68
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Problem is that these days it's the WiFi itself and not the WAN connection that's the bottleneck. When you are sharing the WiFi then other users will affect your connection even if there's dedicated bandwidth upstream of the router.
That may well be so, but in practical terms very few of us in residential streets are going to have enough people using our hotspot for long enough and heavily enough for us to notice. To log on to your spot they are going to need to be using Virgin Mobile and sharing their own Virgin hotspot anyway. My neighbour on VM will not be using my hotspot because he has his own. So, it has to be down to passers-by.

As I said elsewhere ( http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ming-your.html ) only two people have logged on to my pure FON hotspot in the last 10 years even though there are 100s of thousands of people sharing their BT Fon hotspots to give them the right to roam. I tested my FON spot only yesterday and it gave me 10Mb download in the street and 8Mb upload, so it is worth using. ( I got similar figures of my ASUS router connected to my SH. ) Mostly what will happen is as people pass my house their device will automatically log on to my hotspot and then log off again as they move on. Just maybe they will notice and stop to make a call or have a quick browse., but seeing as how they can go stand by one of our two street boxes dishing out 300Mb then why bother standing outside my house getting perhaps 20Mb from my 300Mb connection?

The main thrust, and usage, of the VM WiFi network will be in public place like stations and quite possibly around street boxes.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:00   #69
MarshMallowMan
Inactive

MarshMallowMan is on a distinguished roadMarshMallowMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you sure about that? What are you on and what are you supposed to be on?

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

You don't need DOCSIS3.1, but you will likely need a new superhub.
In the trial so will probably be getting the new hardware to test on.

Thanks for the quick reply.
MarshMallowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:04   #70
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
That may well be so, but in practical terms very few of us in residential streets are going to have enough people using our hotspot for long enough and heavily enough for us to notice. To log on to your spot they are going to need to be using Virgin Mobile and sharing their own Virgin hotspot anyway.
Nope, not so. It's either a virgin mobile customer OR Sharing their hotspot. And this assumes Virgin won't try to sell access to their wifi deployment as well (like "the cloud").

You are right though, I don't think many people are going to notice or care. Virgin's implementation should be more solid than BT's equivalent and I don't think many people care there.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:07   #71
OhReally

[QUOTE=Kushan;35794302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

Really? What does your modem configuration screen say? I'm surprised there's still areas left.
60 down / 3 up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60megdown.jpg (25.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 19-08-2015, 10:21   #72
Kushan

Oh wow. Well, hopefully you'll jump to 200Mbit soon, then!
Old 19-08-2015, 10:27   #73
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Nope, not so. It's either a virgin mobile customer OR Sharing their hotspot. And this assumes Virgin won't try to sell access to their wifi deployment as well (like "the cloud").

You are right though, I don't think many people are going to notice or care. Virgin's implementation should be more solid than BT's equivalent and I don't think many people care there.
Yes, Kush you are right about not having to be a VM mobile customer to access VM Hotspots. Sorry.

Edit . I do use BT Fon, but not that much. The signal is not good enough mostly. I park outside a BT Fon hotspot on the school run waiting for my kids and barely get enough bandwidth to stream or browse, let alone download.

On another subject, I find it interesting that people are talking about needing a different, superdooper, superhub to handle 300Mb. People here, who say they are on the trial, are expecting a new SH to test 300mb, yet we are only 6 or 7 weeks from the beginning of the roll out! Surely, with the announcement, these particular trials will be tailing off, and VM must have thousands of new trialled superhubs stashed away ready to go. I know that the science indicates a new SH, but I do wonder.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:44   #74
Kushan

The hardware is probably ready, but the software is likely what's really being tested. I don't think the "new" Superhub is going to be a totally new device, it's going to be a device that's already used by other ISP's.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:56   #75
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The hardware is probably ready, but the software is likely what's really being tested. I don't think the "new" Superhub is going to be a totally new device, it's going to be a device that's already used by other ISP's.
...but re branded of course.