Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 14-06-2017, 16:54   #166
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Looked at the map for my area and at first the coverage seemed to be patchy and not in my road. When I zoomed in the map, more areas appeared, including my road. The map doesn't give the true picture.

Although I've only lived here a year, I haven't received the notification and can't find the option to switch it off, if I wanted to.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-06-2017, 16:59   #167
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you have a Hub 3.0 the option is in My Virgin Media > My Profile.

If you don't have a Hub 3.0 you won't see the option as your kit isn't part of Virgin Media WiFi.
Old 14-06-2017, 17:08   #168
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If you have a Hub 3.0 the option is in My Virgin Media > My Profile.

If you don't have a Hub 3.0 you won't see the option as your kit isn't part of Virgin Media WiFi.
That explains it, I have a 2ac. Does that also mean I can't take advantage of the feature myself when out and about?
Old 14-06-2017, 17:09   #169
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

All Virgin Media broadband customers can use Virgin Media WiFi with a compatible device, irrespective of what kit they have and what state that kit is in (opt in or out, or modem mode).
Old 14-06-2017, 17:40   #170
nomadking
cf.mega poster

I thought you were only going to be able to use the VM hub part of the network if you allowed your own hub to be part of it. So I assumed that in theory if a 2ac can't be part of it, you can't use the full network availability. Also that it had to be a device with a VM mobile SIM. A VM BB account would get you access to the hotspots, but you needed a VM mobile SIM device to access via the hubs.
Quote:
There are more Hub 3.0s to come, and we’re continuing with a pilot of the Super Hub 2ac. We’re planning to complete the rollout of our service later this year.
Old 14-06-2017, 17:49   #171
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Sorry but all of that is wrong.

There was a period during the Hub 3.0 pilot where opting out was going to stop you using Virgin Media WiFi, however that rule was dropped before the full rollout of the Hub 3.0 homespot service.
Old 14-06-2017, 19:37   #172
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

...so why would anyone want to have their hub broadcast a hotspot? There is no incentive to allow this as you still get access anyway.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 20:22   #173
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Sorry but all of that is wrong.

There was a period during the Hub 3.0 pilot where opting out was going to stop you using Virgin Media WiFi, however that rule was dropped before the full rollout of the Hub 3.0 homespot service.
But there was a time when it was right.
Old 14-06-2017, 20:50   #174
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
...so why would anyone want to have their hub broadcast a hotspot? There is no incentive to allow this as you still get access anyway.
Well I would hope people will see the benefit of doing so when they use the service, and become more aware of gaps in coverage that could be filled by the homespots.

For most people leaving the service enabled won't impact their own service either.

And once the service becomes established it will become less of an issue that the homespots exist.
Old 14-06-2017, 21:13   #175
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

I used it today and worked really well. I was in a radio notspot (poor 4G/3G). Had to send a large digital photo so it saved me some money as I'm on PAYG. It's not like it's depriving you of bandwidth or speed, so why not?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 21:52   #176
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

How do you get those maps of the hot spots ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 21:53   #177
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
How do you get those maps of the hot spots ?
The map is in the Android and iOS apps
Old 14-06-2017, 21:55   #178
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Oh, nothing I can access then.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 22:30   #179
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Oh, nothing I can access then.
Why would you need the maps if you haven't got a device that can access the hotspots anyway?
Old 15-06-2017, 14:55   #180
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Well I would hope people will see the benefit of doing so when they use the service, and become more aware of gaps in coverage that could be filled by the homespots.

For most people leaving the service enabled won't impact their own service either.

And once the service becomes established it will become less of an issue that the homespots exist.
I for one would be more than happy for Virgin to broadcast the additional/free wifi network if I didn't use Modem mode. It's almost a shame Virgin can't take advantage of that and broadcast a stronger wireless network in it's place.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote