Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Query regarding Cisco 806

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Query regarding Cisco 806

Old 13-10-2005, 20:00   #1
Timbo
Inactive

Timbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Query regarding Cisco 806

Essentially i have purchased a Cisco 806, the idea of which was to replace a Draytek 2600, which suffers from cutoffs due to overheating. This was done without much homework, and i now realise that i have to have a modem linked to the 806 in order for it too work. My problem is in finding a product that will fill this function, because obviously i don,t want to revert back to using the Draytek. Obviously i really only need one output from this device, and am looking for something of a commercial type nature. I have a dsl input. Thanks in advance for any help i might recieve..
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2005, 22:32   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Query regarding Cisco 806

to CF

OK, dooing some googling on Draytek 2600 suggests you've got a ADSL connection rather than Broadband. I'm not convinced that putting a Broadband router (cisco 806) on to an ADSL modem will work - the Cisco expects to be talking to a CM on an ADSL modem. However, if you want to try it, have a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/ which has a number of Ethernet ADSL modem reviews.
However, the D-Link DSL-300T on ebuyer costs £39, which is barely less than an combined ADSL modem/router/firewall device (eg Linksys AG241 at £44)!

Personally, I would ebay the Cisco and get the Linksys all in one!

HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 23:44   #3
Timbo
Inactive

Timbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou very much indeed for your response. It certainly clarified the situation for me. My experiences with home type routers however incline me towards using the Cisco. The response in this thread (http://miataru.computing.net/network...298.html)seems to suggest that it could function properly. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 10:23   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

That article was referring to connecting the 806 to a DSL modem (aka Cable Modem, CM) as used by NTL & Telewest. Afaik you have an ADSL connection which uses a completely different modem.

Reading the review of the DSL-300T, there is a section titled "Using the D-Link DSL-300T with a router" which talks about how to get a braodband router working behind the modem. So, your Cisco router should work with a DSL-300T, but as I said it costs almost the same as a Linksys box and means you have two devices doing the job that one could do!

Bottom line - get an ethernet ADSL modem and you should be able to use the Cisco.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 11:13   #5
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

But getting something like the Linksys ADSL+2 (ADSL2MUE) http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007SQG62 and plugging that in will do the same job as the Cisco must be wanting an ethernet RJ45 connection not a telco RJ11 connection.
However at £42 there are cheaper all in one boxes.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2005, 01:02   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
That article was referring to connecting the 806 to a DSL modem (aka Cable Modem, CM) as used by NTL & Telewest. Afaik you have an ADSL connection which uses a completely different modem.

Reading the review of the DSL-300T, there is a section titled "Using the D-Link DSL-300T with a router" which talks about how to get a braodband router working behind the modem. So, your Cisco router should work with a DSL-300T, but as I said it costs almost the same as a Linksys box and means you have two devices doing the job that one could do!

Bottom line - get an ethernet ADSL modem and you should be able to use the Cisco.
What you going on about?!?

DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line; ADSL is a type of Digital Subscriber Line called an Assymetric Digital Subscriber Line because it can download faster than it can upload, you can also get a Symmetrical Digital Subscriber Line which would have the same upload speed as the download speed but these can be quite expensive.

Cable is a completely different thing all together using totally different technology.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote