Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Minecraft

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion

Minecraft

Old 06-12-2015, 21:55   #1
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Minecraft

I know I'm old for a game like this (50) but I'm really enjoying playing Minecraft.

The idea that to do anything you need to think what you need, like you have to thump a tree to get some wood, then use the wood to make a wooden axe to be able to get some stone to then use more wood and stone to make a stone axe to be able to mine ore to make some iron to make iron tools and so on....... and on.

Luckily my eldest son runs his own vanilla server so I can go online relatively safely as I can be an op and get all the stuff I need should I die.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2015, 21:58   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Minecraft

Tried it once, and didn't get what all the fuss was about. My 11 year old cousin plays it all the time. He even watches people playing it on YouTube.
Old 06-12-2015, 22:04   #3
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

We are discussing setting up a home server, building the server itself and setting it up so it has direct access to the router.

Not sure how well the VM 150mb connection is going to do for it, especially seeing as it often durps.
Old 07-12-2015, 23:14   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

It the modern Lego.

I enjoy it digging for diamonds, planting food etc.
Old 08-12-2015, 19:39   #5
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Don't think anyone's too old, I'd think this is one of the better games for someone like yourself to get into. It's so simple and works it's way up to complex when ever you feel like going that far.

I've owned it since the very early days and rarely touch it now but the idea is pretty brilliant and it's worked extremely well.
Old 08-12-2015, 19:50   #6
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini View Post
We are discussing setting up a home server, building the server itself and setting it up so it has direct access to the router.

Not sure how well the VM 150mb connection is going to do for it, especially seeing as it often durps.
Rough guess around 6-12 players but there are a lot of variables around what you have in your config: number of mobs, draw distance etc not to mention what your players are actually doing in the game.

You'll probably be ok if you use AccessControl and lock it down to a few people you know.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 21:45   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've seen some very complex stuff.

My nephew has made a door that needs buttons to be pressed in the right order.
Old 10-12-2015, 23:19   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

to open the door.
Old 18-12-2015, 17:34   #9
Broze
Inactive

Broze is an unknown quantity at this point

I play this on the Xbox one. But mostly single player. It would be good if there was a few of us playing on the same world if anyone knows how to set that up.
Broze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 03:42   #10
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Easy to set up on consoles but only the person that created the world will be able to go into the world if no one is on it. The creator has to be in the world for anyone else to join.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 04:10   #11
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

My youngest son who is 13 loves this game.
Old 21-03-2017, 22:29   #12
zoombini
Inactive

And a year+ on - I am still playing this game.
Now a staff member, I am on a great grief protected server and am really enjoying the redstone contraptions I build.

And although im the oldest on the server, I am finding that there are plenty of adults playing.

4x4 revolving piston door - pah thats easy peasy
Old 24-03-2017, 19:19   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

My Nephew built a digital clock that counts down.

He's builds loads of contraptions, one is a item elevator, that can sort stuff into separate chests.
Old 23-04-2017, 19:09   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I've seen that a group had built the entire Harry Potter world.

This can be downloaded for free on all formats, buy how can you do this on a xbox?
Old 23-04-2017, 20:53   #15
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't played much Minecraft, though it does appeal to me. I'm not patient enough to make many crazy contraptions.

We've got a HTC Vive hooked up to our gaming PC, and exploring Minecraft worlds in virtual reality is pretty awesome, even if it's not the most practical way to play!
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote