Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ADSL 2+ for gaming

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

ADSL 2+ for gaming

Old 30-05-2017, 15:07   #16
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: ADSL 2+ for gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROTER View Post
my wife and daughter stream tv and are never off their phones and tablets.
Do you not think there may be a correlation here?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2017, 15:12   #17
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

That's probably key information.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 19:44   #18
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

In a situation where other people are using the connection at the same time, I would advise a router with QoS and bandwidth control. To avoid bufferbloat increasing the latency. Set the bandwidth to 80-90% of the max tier speed.

Extreme example of what difference QoS makes..

From this:

To this with QoS enabled and bandwidth set to 90%:

Yes, the guy has other issues. Don't get started.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...3436304#M32783

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
Yes, I use this one, it's a DualWAN Router, DrayTek Vigor 2860. It comes with or without wireless. I use SH3 in Modem Mode and the Vigor does the VDSL or in your case ADSL. Both connected at the same time for redundancy and load balancing. This setup works well for me.
How much?! £197+ on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...Tek+Vigor+2860

Geez. You can get an ADSL modem and an Asus RT-AC3200 tri-band router with Dual-WAN for that.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallar View Post
Due to peering issues connections to CSGO servers are particularly poor with VM compared to andrews & arnold.
Didn't the game developers make some protocol changes recently with server selection that affects latency? And it's UDP, which will be affected by the Puma 6 issue with dropped packets.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 16:35   #19
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...3436304#M32783

How much?! £197+ on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...Tek+Vigor+2860

Geez. You can get an ADSL modem and an Asus RT-AC3200 tri-band router with Dual-WAN for that.
Muddie - Yes, I didn't mention price, and yes you can get cheaper solutions, but it's a nice one box solution for VDSL/ADSL.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 23:56   #20
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Didn't the game developers make some protocol changes recently with server selection that affects latency?
Yes, they now have what they call "steam datagram relay".

Unfortunately that currently doesn't help with the peering issue for us UK users as there is only one nearish datacenter to use in luxembourg. No alternate paths, unless via a far away relay, which will only make ping worse.

Hopefully at some point they will set one up in the UK.

SDR config with all the relay locations:
https://github.com/SteamDatabase/Ste...ramConfig.json
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:31   #21
TROTER
cf.member

Services: TV/XL ,200Mb Broadband Super Hub 3 Modem mode and Linksys EA4500, Landline and thre
TROTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Do you not think there may be a correlation here?
I did say that I have the same issues when connected directly to the SHUB3 In modem mode. To recap, PC direct to modem with no other devices connected!

I ran a broadband monitor with SHUB3 which shows the puma problem, a repetitive pattern of spikes into 140ms. Swapped it for SHUB 2 and the spikes disappeared, swapped back and the problem returned.

I will say that the problem got worse when they upgraded the hardware in my area from 12 to 20 downstream channels. Its funny that the upgraded number of channels fixed peak time over utilisation but seams to make the puma problem worse.

Maybe more channels has a greater affect on the puma cpu? You see that statements like "I don't have any problems with SHUB3!" means nothing as benchmarks must be equal.
TROTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:43   #22
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

In every game I've tested since I can't see any ping spikes or sudden jutter even to American servers it's always between 77ms to 168ms depending on the server location so I still really highly doubt that's what your issues are.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:21   #23
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

There are too many variables to say Hub 3 has a "gaming issue" as a definitive statement really. It would depend on Area, Connections, CMTS, Over Utilisation, Noisy lines etc.
However, there is no denying the Puma chipset has an issue and that's the bottom line.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 21:11   #24
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Maybe more channels has a greater affect on the puma cpu?
Yes, we noticed that during the Hub 3 trials in October 2015. Which has only worsened as 20 and 24 channels has been deployed.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

Quote:
I did say that I have the same issues when connected directly to the SHUB3 In modem mode. To recap, PC direct to modem with no other devices connected!

I ran a broadband monitor with SHUB3 which shows the puma problem, a repetitive pattern of spikes into 140ms. Swapped it for SHUB 2 and the spikes disappeared, swapped back and the problem returned.

I will say that the problem got worse when they upgraded the hardware in my area from 12 to 20 downstream channels. Its funny that the upgraded number of channels fixed peak time over utilisation but seams to make the puma problem worse.
That's because utilisation is a bandwidth issue on the network, which more channels improve.

Whereas the Puma 6 spike issue is well known to be a processing issue on the hub, where more channels increase the latency spikes and average latency. Seph can no longer claim I am wrong about this as it has been confirmed world-wide on all Puma 6 hubs. Intel & Arris have admitted the issue. A firmware fix has been produced by Intel, delivered to each of the manufacturers (Arris' most recent statement about the fix was mid-February) and is being integrated steadily by each ISP. Before you ask, no word on when VM will release the fix.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
There are too many variables to say Hub 3 has a "gaming issue" as a definitive statement really. It would depend on Area, Connections, CMTS, Over Utilisation, Noisy lines etc.
However, there is no denying the Puma chipset has an issue and that's the bottom line.
Very true. The odd dropped UDP packet because of the Puma 6 issue can easily be made 10 or 100 times worse by a noisy connection.

p.s. You forgot game servers, peering and routing.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
In every game I've tested since I can't see any ping spikes or sudden jutter even to American servers it's always between 77ms to 168ms depending on the server location so I still really highly doubt that's what your issues are.
It would depend on many factors including the type of game you play, protocols used and the load on the connection.

Post your result from this test: http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

He can do a comparison test.

Last edited by MUD_Wizard; 02-06-2017 at 21:05.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote