Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network setup - Need help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network setup - Need help!

Old 18-06-2009, 23:26   #1
moomoo
Inactive

moomoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Network setup - Need help!

I'm moving into a new place soon and virgin media 50MB is available there. Off topic: Does anyone know what standard install times are?

I'm not an expert with networking by any means but here is what I've devised so far with little knowledge:
Note: everything should be cabled in via ethernet pref on a gigabit network apart from the laptop which will be wireless.

There isn't a firewall in between the cable modem and the switch (nor am I even sure that setup will work) however as I've never used cable before I'm unsure if the cable modem will have firewall built into it.

I'm thinking i could possibly stick a couple of gigabit nics in the linux server and use it as a firewall however I was planning on using it for a file server.

Does anyone have any pointers or issues with the setup? What would you do if you wanted to have a similar setup?

Thanks in advance.
moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2009, 23:33   #2
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: Network setup - Need help!

i think unless your modem is acting as a router with trust/untrust, your gigabit switch isn't going to like being there. you'll likely need a router in between the modem and the switch.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

move the wireless router in between the modem and switch and you should be ok.
Old 18-06-2009, 23:33   #3
moomoo
Inactive

I'm thinking about maybe adding the wireless netgear router in front of the switch however does adding extra kit increase latency? Also does anyone know what router/modem virgin media provide by default with the 50MB install?
Old 19-06-2009, 00:36   #4
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Modem is the VM 300 modem (Actually appears to be 4 modems in one box) Router is the Netgear WNR2000

If you have yet to buy your VOIP router, you could always get the Sipura SPA2002 series, this will connect to the modem and the router can plug into that, it also handles traffic priority so it will ensure there's bandwidth for voip at all times.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 00:41   #5
moomoo
Inactive

I've just checked the virgin media site and I get a free modem and router with a new install so I'm pretty sure that's all I need.

I just presumed I only got a modem.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 19-06-2009, 01:42   #6
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

is that a DG834N ? if so its an ADSL2+ modem/router,
http://www.netgear.co.uk/rangemaxnex...ter_dg834n.php
you cant use the ADSL broadband modem part on cable, IF you know what your doing, then you can use the router part as a mear switch and the wireless part as per the 802.11n specification, 11g and 11b speeds.

the slowest part there seems to be the 360 and its 10/100 fast ethernet connection or perhaps 11g wireless if you get one of those.

the basic connection is always

VM BB cable modem<===>WAN port-(wireless)router-lan1<===>switch <===>whatever....

mixing 11g and 11n wireless kit wirelessly connected on the same wireless router slows the faster 11n kit down, so people would be wise to usually wire plug another wireless router setup to work as a generic AP with its DHCPd turned off on that kit...

and one last point, seeing as your talking about using the 50Mbit VM package, do not ever put an 11g wireless router as the first device after the VM bb cable modem OR you will NEVER get faster than 22Mbit MAX and 15Mbit/s average at best with that wirelessly to and from ALL your LAN connected devices/PCs, and even the wired ports of older cheap kit might also struggle to keep the 50Mbit going even though they say their rated to 10/100 fast ethernet for their internal SOC (system On a Chip)router switchs.

ideally you need an 11n wireless router (with 10/100/1000 1gig rated ports), or a wired router AT LEAST in that position (or an old PC with a liveCD router package running if you like) , keep all 11n kit to the 11n router, and 11g to an 11g router or wired as the case may be,
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 16:27   #7
moomoo
Inactive

I already have the VoIP router.

Can anyone confirm that this is the router you get free with the 50MB package from VM?
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=5320
Old 20-06-2009, 05:56   #8
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

nope, wnr2000 - this one http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=7259
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 11:52   #9
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

Like Bender said, place your router inbetween your modem and switch. That router may also have a hardware firewall which may help things. The modems I believe don't come with firewalls, but the routers typically do.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote